Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wasted all day changing fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:40 PM
sbowling79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wasted all day changing fuel tank

Since I bought my 96 f-150 I have had a bad reading on my fuel gauge. (single tank) After running out of gas twice I finally decided to fix it. There were some wet spots showing on the tank so I decided to change the tank while I had it out. I bought the tank and pump assembly from Amazon.
Amazon.com: Spectra Premium F1G1FA Fuel Tank Assembly for Chevrolet/GMC: Automotive Amazon.com: Spectra Premium F1G1FA Fuel Tank Assembly for Chevrolet/GMC: Automotive

After making the swap the gas gauge pegged out to full but the tank was dry. It came with a new plug so I changed the plug and followed the wiring instructions. After that the gauge was still pegged out and the pump quit working.

I traced that down to a blown fuse. Made a trip to Advance for a 20A Maxifuse then with the help of a buddy cycling the key I managed to figure out the wiring while under the truck with a test light. The colors in the instructions were bad wrong.

Once all the wiring was wrapped up and gauge reading empty I dumped 5 gallons in and started the truck. I noticed right away the fuel pump was very loud and gauge still on empty.

I drove to the gas station and now the truck won't go over 2,000 RPM. I thought maybe its just low on fuel and won't build enough pressure.

I put about 8 gallons in and the gauge is still on E and the truck falls on it's face above 2K RPM. Talk about frustrating

Made a call to Amazon and they are sending another but what a PITA. Can't help but wonder if the next one is going to be just as messed up as this one.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? I can't be the only one.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:56 PM
jaagen
Senior User
I'm willing to bet that most people buy there pumps from Rockauto.com cause its the right pump and it's pretty much garrented to work. I myself bought my front tank pump from there and have yet to have a problem and it's been 2 years.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 AM
tempest411
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've read that the pumps that come in the Spectra tanks are junk, but the tanks themselves were pretty good.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 AM
DeereFord300
Elder User
There is a place in canada where I bought a plastic tank for my truck, I can't remember the name of it but I haven't had any problems with either the pump or tank

Old 05-25-2015, 10:05 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like Airtex or Motorcraft pumps myself. Some people don't like the Airtex ones but I am NOT NICE to fuel pumps (run my tanks down to fumes sometimes) and ain't killed an Airtex yet. Killed every stock pump I ever owned but then again they've all been original so that's not even a fair comparison. I bet a NEW Motorcraft pump would outlast an new Airtex... my 91 Ranger still had it's factory pump all the way up til 2011. That's 20 years running, probably daily, for that whiny lil electric motor.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
I have just about come to the conclusion that after-market parts are all junk!
And never let the box auto parts stores do work for you.
I bought an 85 E150 at the end of last summer and here is some of my experiences.

I got it up on stands and rebuilt the brakes.
New Bendix master cylinder clearance by RA. I have not changed it yet but if you set with your foot on the brake peddle, it slowly goes down.
New front pads from O’R, the anti rattle clips were very flimsy and would not stay clipped on the pads. Went back and the counter guy had no idea what I was talking about. Found the right ones at Advance. Put them on but now the inner pads were too tight to fit. Replaced them with Motorcraft which fit great.

Front rotors turned by O’R and they didn’t cut them in far enough but insisted they would work. Well they didn’t as the pads rubbed against the uncut shoulder. Rear drums were within speck till they cut a deep groove in one of them....
Redicilouis 5 days to complete a brake job and re-do it twice!

Then there is the dura-spark conversion with the after-market cap and cap adapter wobbling all over the place....

Then the NAPA thermostat I had to replace twice within 3 months!

The Spectra fuel gauge that is mostly plastic including not having a metal cover over the resistor. I found a NOS Ford one...

The filler tank hose I ordered was supposed to be oem but turned out to be just a straight 12“ piece. Got lucky and found a Ford one for that too.

So now I have a room full of junk parts to send back and wait to get my money back....

I have since started ordering Motorcraft or Ford parts online and will only buy after-market is that is my only option. I would rather pay a little more for parts and not have to do the job over...

And then there is the mechanic shops!!! My shush, GMC van is in the shop to have the rear end re-built again after only 1500 miles because they used axel saver bearings the first time around and one of them went out!!!

Oh yes,, and the fuel pump I changed 2 weeks ago. It was a new NAPA one that was in a box of parts in the van when I bought it... I have learned I need to check the part number because there was a recall on certain NAPA fuel pumps for my van.... That will probably be one of them!!!

Yes I understand your frustration!!!
Maybe I'll buy a horse next time!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 PM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well don't expect RA to refund anything. Lifetime warrantied strut wasn't any good called they said well you had it over 30 days no warranty. Airtex is junk end of story there.