Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

F600 fire truck UK

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:12 AM
artif
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F600 fire truck UK

Hi

Introducing my new toy.
Plan is, to keep it looking like a fire truck from the outside, but fit it out like a dayvan / weekend camper inside.

Still not sure what to do with the fire pump.

First job is getting the wrap off it, fortunately I got it when I did, as the wrap was well on its way to destroying the truck. It was trapping moiture around the edges and under any voids on the more curved areas, causing rust. So far only one small area that requires a patch, not bad for a 49 year old.

currently lots of peeling, sanding and painting going on.
more updates to follow, as I do them.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:31 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 271 Likes on 219 Posts
I'll go a bit of a different direction if I may. Regarding your truck's wheels. They are, here in the U.S. anyway, a pariah. They have two part outer rims known as the Firestone RH-5° design. Finding service for them is impossible in some areas of this country, and difficult in most others. Do you have knowledge about them, and whether they can be serviced in the UK? Replacement tubeless 22.5" wheels can be found here having your 6 lug x 8.75" pattern. Stu

Old 05-22-2015, 09:50 AM
artif
New User
Thanks Stu
I have been reading up on these trucks before and since purchase, and as you say the wheels are a concern.
Tyres are also not easy to find, so I am looking in to changing to 22.5 wheels and tyres, I will probably go to super singles on the rear ( just for the hot rod look). It will require adapter plates but I can get them made at work, as we don't have a plentiful supply of U.S. trucks in breakers yards over here.

cheers

Old 05-22-2015, 01:33 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cheers mate...
Welcome to the forum

Nice looking truck
Learn how to use the search button here ..it will be your friend

I posted where you can get new 22.5 rims in a post on here... you will find it.. they actually come over from Europe so with some investigation I just bet you can get them cheaply on the other side of the water.

As to your pump... it sounds like you are going to refurbish it not as a fire engine.. so actually you will be deconstructing it and then re-purposing it as a camper.. which would be an awesome use for it

Taking the pump out ( I couldnt tell if it was driven from a pto or driveshaft) will be a lot of work but worth it.. you will be shedding hundreds of pounds of iron.. all those valves and lines add up quickly.. some good sheet metal work and you will never know they were there

Parts are going to be an issue for you but there are a number of trucks of your vintage here in California

You can check craigslist sacramento where I have seen several for sale.. for a long time.. and he might part them for you

Good luck on your project!

Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 PM
artif
New User
Quick update-
Picked up some super singles today, will be getting adapters made up soon.
Vinyl is coming off slowly, tried heating etc etc but scraping is proving the most effective.
Bought some coach paints, filler primer and gloss, from Craftmaster paints, very pleased with the results so far, and Abranet sanding discs are so so much better than conventional discs.

Notmeofficer- A lot of the pump is made of bronze, and the valves are all bronze also, I'm tempted to clean and polish it, and yes it is driven from a PTO likewise the hydraulic pump for the winch.
While I intend to fit it out a'la dayvan with a 50's diner style, I want to keep all the external fittings to maintain the fire truck look, all that chromed brass is too good to get rid of.
My plans are still developing as I strip the vinyl.

cheers

Old 05-28-2015, 05:35 PM
artif
New User
Oh dear, just noticed the single circuit brakes, another mod for the list
Nearly finished the scraping though

Old 06-07-2015, 03:16 PM
artif
New User
Slowly making some progress.
Bit of paint starting to go on now.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:43 PM
artif
New User
Finally got the super singles fitted, almost.
Just need to sort out the nuts.

The wheels are slightly more tucked in but they are a bigger diameter, which will help with rpms and mileage, being as it will be running with very little weight compared to what it could carry.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:34 PM
artif
New User
A bit more progress, dropped the winch off, painted the roof and window surrounds, fitting the windows with new seals, starting the interior is in sight at last.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:54 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by artif
A bit more progress, dropped the winch off, painted the roof and window surrounds, fitting the windows with new seals, starting the interior is in sight at last.

Awesome progress..its really cleaning up

Could you tell us more about your super single swap... they appear to be adapters that bolt on the six lug rockwells...

Were they custom made or is there a source for them over there?

cheers!!!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:43 AM
artif
New User
Thanks, progress was going well until the windscreen incident.

The super single conversion is down to the adapter plates, just a flat 1/2" plate with appropriate holes, I picked up some wheels and tyres on e**y for a good price and had the adapters made to suit.
The wheels have a fairly standard 335mm pcd. I will also be changing the front wheels, but have yet to decide on wheel/tyre size.

Struggling to decide on the colour of the bumper/front grill at the moment, current choice is red bumper and silver grill, but I may go for a silver bumper and grill......

Then again a black bumper might look O.K hmmmmm

Old 08-21-2015, 01:51 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I gotta subscribe here as well.