Slide-In Campers

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:54 PM
DCP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slide-In Campers

I been kinda looking for a four season slide-in camper with a wet toilet and with a shower. Is there such a thing reasonable priced four season slide-in camper? Lance and Artic Fox are out of the picture because I'm not going to spend $40K+ for a slide-in. Also, would a slid-in with a queen bed look too dorky in a regular cab? Lastly, I have a F-350 SRW, so I'm not too worried about camper weight.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:41 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Moved from the fifth wheel forum.

Denny

Old 05-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,564 Likes on 1,425 Posts
I bought my Arctic Fox used it is a 2001, I have had to do some minor repairs to it. I paid $11,000 4 years ago.

Shopping for a used one would be my suggestion. I had an S&S before the Arctic Fox, it was not a four season the bed was a queen size but it was laid out sideways if you will. It made the camper not stick out over the cab as far.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:00 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Slide-In Campers

Before we went to Alaska I looked for a slide in instead of pulling our trailer and I found a real nice used Lance I think on ebay but we decided to take the trailer. You may want to look for on in the used market.

Denny

Old 05-10-2015, 06:45 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by DCP
I been kinda looking for a four season slide-in camper with a wet toilet and with a shower. Is there such a thing reasonable priced four season slide-in camper? Lance and Artic Fox are out of the picture because I'm not going to spend $40K+ for a slide-in. Also, would a slid-in with a queen bed look too dorky in a regular cab? Lastly, I have a F-350 SRW, so I'm not too worried about camper weight.
What year 350? I've had several slide-ins and if you have a late 350 with the higher gvwr, and are NOT towing anything, you can get into the 10.5' range and be ok weight-wise.

What we've settled on are Bigfoots. We currently have a 1500 series 9.5, but that is because we tow with a pretty healthy tongue weight. Our favorite Bigfoot was a 2500 10.6, it had a dry bath and was a true four season camper (heated tank compartments, etc.). It by itself was at the truck's weight limit, but that was fully loaded and ready to go, but also: it had no generator and was single pane windows. As I understand it the 2500 series Bigfoot was at one time what the Canadian Mounties used for remote outpost use. What I like about the Bigfoot 1500 and 2500 series is they are a 2 piece fiberglass unit, where the top half actually overlaps the lower half, and you'd pretty much have to damage one to get it to leak.

You might look at the 9.6 2500 which would be one with a wet bath -- but man we really liked that dry bath

I agree with the others that if you look hard you will find a good deal on a nice used one. All of our campers were bought used and other than some maintenance were great (2 Lances and the 2 Bigfoots). I'd also recommend you put solar on your unit -- we can dry camp for longer than the wife and I can stand each other -- love the solar...

Anything with a slide and you'll be over-weight. Some people don't care to weigh their rigs, but I'd rather know we're going to make it there and back...

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-11-2015, 04:47 PM
dixoncity
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by DCP
Last year I purchased a brand new Arctic Fox 865 (no slide)(3,000 lbs+) from Truck Camper Warehouse in New Hampshire. I put it on my 2011 F350 SRW (without camper package). You won't even find 865's on the Arctic Fox website, but they make a few a year, just for TCW. They are way less then $40K. After extensive research, I chose AF as a true all season camper. It has tons of insulation, double insulated windows etc. After numerous suspension upgrades, added a leaf, air bags, upper and lower stableloads, I got it to work. The down side was, when I went on a CAT scale,dry, I found that I was coming in at 12,600 lbs. a good 1,100 lbs over the GVWR. Even overloaded, the truck performed great.

Knowing the legal system, especially in the area of accident reconstruction, I knew that my goose would be cooked if that time ever came, so I sold the SRW and upgraded to a 2015 F350 DRW. Now I feel very comfortable, especially when towing a boat, atv, etc.

Good Luck

Old 05-11-2015, 08:36 PM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
We had a nice Northland Polar a few years ago. I don't know that you find them outside of the Western U.S. As they are out of Boise. Nice unit rated for four season use, heated tanks, underfloor heat, great insulation package. Ours had the slide out dinette, which I'm of two minds about: great when it's out and a royal pain when it's not. But we had it out at 5 below with zero issues. If you plan on winter camping without shore power or a genset, make sure you have dual batteries or your furnace will kill the battery in the middle of the night. Not how you want to wake up at 3am.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 PM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
The Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) look really nice. We were parked next to one in Georgia at a rest stop, it looked to be close to a foot lower than our Lance, which I imagine must reduce all sorts of nasty aerodynamic consequences associated with slide-ins. I think the two piece design seems brilliant, and it sure makes for less bulk with what seems equivalent room inside. Haven't looked at what they weigh.