Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is it worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
200 bucks for 200LB sand blaster and turbine compressor for 24 hour rental....sand is 13 a bag....Waiting to hear back from shops in the area.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:33 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DougJ_1997PSD
I'll definitely be negotiating it down.
Not to put a dampener on your spirits, but don't expect to get him off that price much, if at all.

I looked at a couple 7.3s (and a very low priced 6.4) that they had a couple months ago. Was told that the prices listed are wholesale, and that they would not budge on them. They have some clean trucks, but I also noticed that they failed to describe problems with some of the vehicles online (I.E. One of the trucks I was looking at had a large rust hole in the bed, and others the paint was in very bad shape/had many dents).

Oh, they also have two lots. The one I went to had the vehicles packed in so tightly that you could barely open the doors. The other is supposedly right down the road, but I didn't have time to see if it was any better.

Not to discourage you, but I would hate to have you drive all that way like I did only to find out that it wasn't worth it, or that they wouldn't come off the price enough for your tastes.

Just remember, if it doesn't happen, it wasn't meant to be and something better is around the corner. My parents taught me that as a kid and I always thought it was one of those things they said to make you not want something. Well, I can honestly say they were right. That philosophy is how I ended up with my 2000 7.3/6spd.

Either way, good luck with the truck hunt!

Last edited by IDI-Charlie; 05-08-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Had a typo.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:39 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
Not to put a dampener on your spirits, but don't expect to get him off that price much, if at all.

I looked at a couple 7.3s (and a very low priced 6.4) that they had a couple months ago. Was told that the prices listed are wholesale, and that they would not budge on them. They have some clean trucks, but I also noticed that they failed to describe problems with some of the vehicles online (I.E. One of the trucks I was looking at had a large rust hole in the bed, and others the paint was in very bad shape/had many dents).

Oh, they also have two lots. The one I went to had the vehicles packed in so tightly that you could barely open the doors. The other is supposedly right down the road, but I didn't have time to see if it was any better.

Not to discourage you, but I would hate to have you drive all that way like I did only to find out that it wasn't worth it, or that they wouldn't come off the price enough for your tastes.

Just remember, if it doesn't happen, it wasn't meant to be and something better is around the corner. My parents taught me that as a kid and I always thought it was one of those things they said to make you not want something. Well, I can honestly say they were right. That philosophy is how I ended up with my 2000 7.3/6spd.

Either way, good luck with the truck hunt!
Thanks for the advice! i drove down today and it was pretty tight like you said. turns out they had already sold the truck too. i'm just going to keep looking like you said! a 7.3 6-speed like yours would be ideal! and $200 doesnt sound bad for that rental...I would probably do it.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

I spoke with a contractor in Glen Burnie and they will charge 375 to do my truck...I'm going to call another guy in Westminster Monday..Actually, I'm leaving towards farming mine out. I don't really have the time or the place to do it.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 PM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
I know a dealer may be more expensive, but i know the apple ford body shop in columbia does good work.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:23 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

I went to OC this weekend...(Of course it took me 3 hours to cross the bridge last night) Anyway, out of Cambridge I started having a rattle. Ended up being windshield seal came loose and I have significant rust bubbling upper rt side.....I cant win for loosing.

That 07 looks sweeter and sweeter.....But on the other hand, I went from Pasadena to west of Dulles in VA to OC and back...Around 450 miles on a little over 1/2 tank of fuel..Cant beat the efficiency of a 7.3.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:40 PM
bigreentruck
Tuned
Jet Doc,
So am I reading that you went 450 miles on about a 1/2 tank? That's about 26 miles per gallon.
Please tell me how you got that kind of mileage and what you've done to get it.
Thanks

Old 05-10-2015, 11:58 PM
AMG-SM
Senior User
What's wrong with your existing truck? Seems nice and low mileage.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:58 AM
bigreentruck
Tuned
Well, my 2000 7.3 F350 4x4 automatic with 143K on the clock, that seems to run fine, gets about 16-17 mpg on the freeway, and about 12 around town. A friend of mine has I think a 2004-06 Chevy diesel that gets about 17-18. Most I hear of get about 16-18 mpg.
When I see a guy that says his 7.3 get about 26, I have to ask how he's doing it. Seems very high to me from what I've experienced and heard.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:15 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by bigreentruck
Jet Doc,
So am I reading that you went 450 miles on about a 1/2 tank? That's about 26 miles per gallon.
Please tell me how you got that kind of mileage and what you've done to get it.
Thanks

I fill it to the absolute top. Its a six speed, and I grand daddy it. Never over 2K RPM and watch the boost. Single shots with great tuning. The higher the boost, the more fuel you're burning. I average 16 around town, 20-21 highway 65-68 MPH. 3.73 rears with 35 inch tires which actually improved mileage (empty). Speedo recal with AE and checked with GPS. The route we did was mainly flat especially on the eastern shore and very little wind. If I hammer it, its sucks it down!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 AM
DougJ_1997PSD
Senior User
man thats impressive mileage! i can probably get 20-22 at that speed maybe even lower. thats what i get for a 4.10 and e4od combo. I found a nice 07 6.0 with 140k or so...thats a maybe. I'mjust worried about all the new parts i'll have to get. I'll probably get them withing the first year or two anyway just to be safe. too bad it has an automatic. I wonder how hard it is to swap for the 6 speed manual on a 6.0

Old 05-11-2015, 04:59 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Driving to the beach Saturday night started having a noise on the passenger side upper windshield area. Pull over find the seal loose and discovered more rust around the windshield. I've noticed dried water streaks on the inside of my windshield the last couple of months no water intrusion I could find. I found a rust free 2004 CC cab in VA and I'm going that route. Still cheaper than a truck payment.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:20 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Really, is this thread still going.......................

Obviously you know what to look for and what you are willing to pay.

My wife takes less time to pick out a purse.

If you think it's a green light on the purchase, go for it.

If you have questions when you pop the hood or drive it......share it here.

Unsubscribing.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:28 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

^^^^^Miserable *******..

Old 05-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
You cannot make everyone happy all the time. If you are excited, have questions, need advice or just want to talk about something pertaining to the 7.3 you are more than welcome to post it here.

Those that don't want to read your words, don't have to and can move along. Hopefully you will find a truck that is right for you soon. I drove 600 miles to look at a 7.3 and it needed some TLC but is rock solid for the most part.

Good luck to you.

Quick Reply: Is it worth the money?