Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 302 - Unknown water lines??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:49 AM
billyboie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 302 - Unknown water lines??

Greetings to all,

I am trying to determine what in the hell these lines are.

In the process of replacing the thermostat, and in this process broke off what I am guessing is a temp sender of some sort.

I purchased a digital service manual, and have a Haynes book too. According to the manual this is not the "engine temp" sender, as I can find this sender in the manual and on the engine.

I can not find any information on what this sender is or what the lines it is associated with are.

The line comes out of the top of the lower intake manifold, in a solid type of riser for a couple of inches, the sender in question is mounted into this riser, then the line continues on turning into a solid line that is going into the bottom of the throttle body, on the top of the throttle body the line then continues on to a "T" in the heater hose line.

Is this something to heat or cool the intake air? Is this a later function, that I may have a later engine in a older truck?

Just can't find any info.

Thanks for looking,
Bill

Old 05-04-2015, 11:39 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Please post a pic of what you have. It will help us
to see what you see.

Here is how to post pic's on FTE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ure-guide.html

Here is one way by "Axracer"

Do you have digital pix of your truck from digital camera or phone on your computer? If so it is easy to add them to a post (assuming the file is not too large). Find the pic on your computer and leave it open while you come here in another window. Compose a post, click where you want the pic to appear in the post. Click on the picture icon at the top of the posting box (looks like a postcard with mountains and sun) A dialog box will open asking if you want to drag a pic onto the box or browse your computer to find it. If you have the pic open, go there, right click anywhere on the pic and chose copy from the menu. Come back to your post and right click on the box. Select paste from the menu. Your picture should appear (it may take a few seconds to load) in the box. Now left click on the insert button.
If the stars all aligned your picture should now be in your post window. Select post to have it appear on the forum or repeat to add more pix. Some cameras make huge files these days that are larger than the forum limits. You may need to resize or resample the picture and save the smaller file version with whatever picture editing software came with your picture taking device before you can post it.

Oh! and welcome to FTE and the old truck madness.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That pesky little pain in the a** is a throttle body heater. I disconnected mine and sawed the nipples off flush with the throttle body cause it's more trouble that it's worth and why would my throttle body need heat anyway!?

I see you're in TN, you can probably get away with removing it as well but you might want to wait for others that live where snow falls to chime in on that. Not sure what it's purpose is but I'm guessing something to do with cold weather.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:22 PM
billyboie
New User

Top arrow is the water line going to the bottom of the throttle body.
Bottom arrow is the sender that I broke.

Bottom arrow is the line coming from the broken sender location.
Top arrow is the line leaving the throttle body.

Can not find any mention of any of this in the manuals that I have. I guess to remove the sender and see if I can get the parts guys to match it. What a bitch, no info on this what so ever.

Is it possible that the motor is newer than 88, and I need to get another manual for a later motor?

I have had the truck now for about a month, and am learning much about it.

Thanks
Arctic y block

Old 05-04-2015, 12:26 PM
billyboie
New User
Hey dixie460,
I was guessing some sort of heater or cooler. The lack of info is really frustrating. I must be missing something, or not looking in the correct place. I look in the heater section, the cooling section, the EFI section,, not-a.

Originally Posted by dixie460
That pesky little pain in the a** is a throttle body heater. I disconnected mine and sawed the nipples off flush with the throttle body cause it's more trouble that it's worth and why would my throttle body need heat anyway!?

I see you're in TN, you can probably get away with removing it as well but you might want to wait for others that live where snow falls to chime in on that. Not sure what it's purpose is but I'm guessing something to do with cold weather.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:27 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
It's there to heat the TB so it won't get ice on the throttle blades in Minnesota.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:27 PM
billyboie
New User
Yes, I am going to clean up that leftover dirt dobbers crap. I am going to clean it up as best as possible,,,,

Old 05-04-2015, 12:29 PM
billyboie
New User
Copy, Thanks jas88. You know what I can find info on replacement part for the sender? What manual or what location or what planet??

Originally Posted by jas88
It's there to heat the TB so it won't get ice on the throttle blades in Minnesota.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:49 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

I believe that is just the coolant temp sensor. RockAuto has them. Get the one for the round connector.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:52 PM
billyboie
New User
Agreed jas88, appears to be some sort of coolant sensor.

According to the manual, the engine cooling temp sender is on the other side of the lower intake manifold, and I have found it. Just saying.

I will remove the sender and take it to the parts house, maybe they can cross the part number on the sender.

Trying to determine where to find this part and associated system in the manual, or if this is on a later model engine than a 88. I may have a newer engine and the manual does do cover it yet.

I believe that is just the coolant temp sensor. RockAuto has them. Get the one for the round connector.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:20 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

I think perhaps there are 2 senders for coolant temp. One for the gauge and one for the ECU. The one in your pic is for the ECU (2 terminals). The one for the gauge has one terminal. Also there is a sensor called the "charge air temp" sensor, but it screws into the intake runner, not into the water lines.

This is the sensor you are after I believe:

http://web.archive.org/web/201104140...tion.com/?p=28

Old 05-04-2015, 04:10 PM
billyboie
New User
Yes sir that is the puppy. Your info is all in line with what I am seeing.

Now, my hard head is wondering why I can't find this in the damn manual.

What is the best info resource for understanding and troubleshooting this EFI system?

Thanks for all the info jas!

I think perhaps there are 2 senders for coolant temp. One for the gauge and one for the ECU. The one in your pic is for the ECU (2 terminals). The one for the gauge has one terminal. Also there is a sensor called the "charge air temp" sensor, but it screws into the intake runner, not into the water lines.

This is the sensor you are after I believe:

Ford Fuel Injection » Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT)

Old 05-04-2015, 04:20 PM
billyboie
New User
I have just found the Ford Fuel Injection pages via your link.

I have been seeing this all over this site, but the links were bad. I may have just answered my own question in my last post, about the best resource for learning about this EFI.