1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1994 Ford Ranger Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:08 PM
DawgDayez
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw
When it sat this last time for a year, did you have fuel stabilizer in the gas tank & if so, did you add it so it got mixed real good & run the engine long enough to get it distributed throughout the fueling system before it sat for the year?
No the tank was drained completely. Ive added some stabilizer though since.
Fuel pressure is running 38 psi key off and holds.
28 at idle
35 while driving around .
I'm now getting a code 10 which I don't know why its adjusting to high altitude.

Also got a han scanner doesnt do the live data but its getting a code 411 412 and 538.... this is the iac correct?

Old 05-17-2015, 04:24 PM
DawgDayez
New User
Hey papaw wanted to thank you and the guy with the ICM. The truck is now running and has *****. Still getting those two errors but it no longer cuts out. I took the Iac valve out cleaned the hell out of it and it no longer is cutting out. I think it was multiple problems as I changed the ICM out and the truck had way more power and then cleaning the IAC out kept it from cutting out. I also threw in some octane boost and high grade fuel with injection cleaner and some fuel stabilizer. Im going to get a new IAC and see if i can clear them codes. This truck atm is my lifeline as I been walking two and a half hours to work and two and a half back and now they want me to work 12 hours so its running at a good time. Ill be back here more as the truck has been highly abused like i said it has around 750k miles on it and it has a new heart. Gonna probably need new legs soon aswell. But yeah it gets horrible mileage but it always got me home. Just likes to break down there lmao.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Did you ever remove & clean the MAF sensor & install a Motorcraft paper air filter????
Have you monitored the upstream/before cat converter O2 sensors switching speed & range???? All three of those will affect mpg a good bit if not doing their thing.

Go here http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ for an explanation of the new codes you've found. The P0411 & 412 air pump codes could also be helping to muck up your mpg & driveability. The 538 code has to do with the AC evaporator temp sensor.
If the IAC responded positively to cleaning, cleaning might not last, it didn't for me on my 99 Ranger, but was a good trouble shooting step for me, so I knew what to replace when it acted out again. Motorcraft, or BWD IAC are recommended if you decide to replace yours.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by DawgDayez
No the tank was drained completely. Ive added some stabilizer though since.
Fuel pressure is running 38 psi key off and holds.
28 at idle
35 while driving around .
I'm now getting a code 10 which I don't know why its adjusting to high altitude.

Also got a han scanner doesnt do the live data but its getting a code 411 412 and 538.... this is the iac correct?

Were the above fuel pressure readings taken when it was acting out????
Have you performed a flow rate test yet???? It should be 1/2 pt/15 seconds.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:21 PM
DawgDayez
New User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Were the above fuel pressure readings taken when it was acting out????
Have you performed a flow rate test yet???? It should be 1/2 pt/15 seconds.
The gauge i have doesnt do flow rate. And yes i cleaned the maf with electrical contact cleaner. It didn't change anything.
411 Cannot Control RPM During KOER Low RPM Check
Cannot Control RPM During KOER High RPM Check
Insufficient RPM Change During KOER Dynamic Response Test
The truck is ecc iv not odb2 that's why i was having problems finding a scanner for it.
Ive been driving it around all day and tbh it runs better than it ever has since I've owned it. And i already ordered a BWD IAC from advanced. I don't use autozone here cause they absolutely suck and it takes 20 minutes for anyone to come to the parts counter and they act like your bothering them. I had to order the filter aswell cause for some reason it wasn't in stock. I headed your warning about them and made sure it was a motorcraft. Had to get one online. I appreciate your help and thank you so much. Im going to my friends garage next weekend Ill have him flow test it. I am changing the clutch and putting a clutch slave cylinder in. Mine has a leak from when we put the engine in and it hit the top of it wrong.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:46 PM
pawpaw
Woooops, I forgot its a 94 & OBd-1, so yes I agree the 411 & 412 codes suggest IAC problems.
On the 538 code, it suggests you didn't Quickly punch the throttle WOT, when you were supposed to, so you didn't get enough TPS movement or RPM to satisfy the computer.
Good feedback on cleaning the MAF sensor. Hope it was a plastic safe, non residual, contact cleaner you used to clean it, as any residuals drying/collecting on the heated element, can bake on & corrupt its airflow sensitivity calibration output PID to the computer & that can cause the computer to have the fuel injectors to corrupt the fuel trim, all a vicious circle. Nonresidual CRC, or Valvolene MAF sensor spray cleaners are formulated just for cleaning MAF sensors & are recommended.
After you cleaned the MAF, did you disconnect the battery to wipe the fuel trim tables, so the computer could begin to build new ones using the cleaned MAF sensor input & perform the cold & warm idle relearn strategy proceedure???
Good feedback & idea to install the paper Motorcraft air filter imo.
EDIT: Carry your fuel pressure gauge with you, so when it acts out you can quickly measure fuel pressure, then post the Numbers.