1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally took it in for inspection

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:02 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Finally took it in for inspection

And it failed!!
I was concerned about the stone chip in the windshield. It's just above eye level and slightly to the right. That wasn't even a comment. But, they didn't like the tint in the windshield and they didn't like the brakes pulling to the left. So, now it's a new windshield and see if I can figure why the brakes are pulling. They do pull hard when first applied.
I can't really fault the inspector on the brakes though. He let me try four times before he decided it was not going to correct itself. Shame too as there is a show in Dover this weekend.
Maybe while I am having the windshield replaced they can figure out why it leaks a bit and correct that along the way.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Sounds like you aren't road worthy just yet. Get it right and then get going.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:27 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
What year truck? Brakes pulling, big safety issue. Windshield tint? Any markings on the glass? Aftermarket tint??????? Never heard of that on a stock windshield.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

I'll have to check the glass for markings. It does not appear to be tinted film. It looks like it is in the glass. I was made aware of some of the glass being replaced. It could well be all of it was. The truck is a "49".
I didn't mean to imply I thought it road worth. I knew it wasn't. But the only way to get a temp tag here is to run it through inspection. Then they give you two weeks to get it right and bring it back. At least with the temp, I can now take it to the shop(s) I need to go to without worrying about being ticketed.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
OK, that being a 49 with flat glass explains how someone cut a glass from heavy tinted glass for the windshield. You'll be on the road cruising in a short time.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:05 AM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
Please put your location in so we know where you had it inspected.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow! I just installed LMC tinted windshield and rear window in my '50. Hope that won't be an issue. Seems good to me though.

Old 05-02-2015, 05:49 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

I'm in Delaware. Back in the early "90's" Delaware adopted their laws regarding window tint. After many venues had their say, it was finally written that a minimum of 80% transmission was required. The tint on my windows is 49%. As long as the vehicle has two side mirrors, there is no minimum for the rear glass. But sides and windshield must comply with the law. There is one caveat. If one can get a physician or optometrist to sign off stating they need the tint for sun glare protection, a much higher transmission rate is permitted.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
It was finally written that a minimum of 80% transmission was required. The tint on my windows is 49%.
So, if I read this right, the law says you can put 20% tint on legally, but you have 49%?

One more thing to work on.

Will you have to make all the changes before they'll issue you the temporary paper work that you want?

I just checked for Kalifornia.
Windshield: No window tint is allowed.
Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used

Old 05-02-2015, 08:34 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
So, if I read this right, the law says you can put 20% tint on legally, but you have 49%?

One more thing to work on.

Will you have to make all the changes before they'll issue you the temporary paper work that you want?

I just checked for Kalifornia.
Windshield: No window tint is allowed.
Side windows: Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used

I have 49% all the way around. In Delaware, no tint, outside the factory sunshade built into the windshield at the top, is permissible. 80% transmission is permissible in the side windows and with mirrors, the rear is unlimited.
Since I have eye problems anyway, I'm going to try to get the waiver for the side windows. I'll have to replace the windshield. This the cheapest I'll get out of this one.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:25 AM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check out the brake hoses.
TractormanBill

Old 05-05-2015, 02:10 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

They aren't leaking Bill. But I really didn't look for weakness. I'll do that tonight, thanks.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:10 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If using stock drums be sure that both sides are adjusted equally: raise wheel and spin by hand while adjusting star adjuster tighter until it locks the turning wheel. press the brakes a couple times and recheck that the wheel is still locked. If it is, slowly back off the adjuster while attempting to turn the wheel. stop adjusting when the wheel can be turned, but a light drag can be felt/heard. Do the other side the same way. If it still pulls, pull the drums and look for any signs of leaking wheel cylinder (if you peel back the rubber wheel cylinder dust covers it should be perfectly dry behind them, if there is any sign of brake fluid replace the wheel cylinder) or wheel bearing seal leakage (traces of grease streaks on the backing plates) or contaminated brake shoe pads (close sniff detects odor of burnt brake fluid or bearing grease. Look at the shoes for glazing (shiny hard surface) or heat checking (fine spiderweb crack pattern). Finally double check that the primary brake shoe (the one with the shorter lining) is towards the front of the vehicle on both sides.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:30 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tractormanbill
I would check out the brake hoses.
TractormanBill
I would as well, but I would just replace them if they are more than a few years old. A collapsed hose on the right side will make the truck pull to the left and vice versa. I have had brake hoses with that problem that looked fine on the outside, and todays aftermarket rubber doesnt seem to last very long.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:25 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks guys. Waaaaaay back in 1966, when I graduated high school, my first job was as an apprentice mechanic in a Ford garage in the thriving metropolis of Mars, Pa. About the only thing they would trust me with was brakes, (easy and quick to review before reassembly). In part, because of that, I really don't like messing with disc brakes. That's not to say I haven't forgotten more than I knew. But I did do basic adjustments and drum inspections. Everything appeared to be dry and clean. I have it at a friends shop now. An extra set of eyes and much more experience can't hurt. I should know more tomorrow.

Last edited by pbsdaddy; 05-05-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Shorten and simplify

Quick Reply: Finally took it in for inspection