Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

? for people who have owned PStrokes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
? for people who have owned PStrokes.

After studying the newer computer trucks I have come to the conclusion that if one is designed correctly they are no problem and are a lot better in most ways but there in lies the problem correctly designed for easy service.

When things start to go out on the PS engines just how bad can it be to like chase it down and get it fixed when they start having problems. Take like for instance the injectors are electrical can't electrical components just fail out of the blue, so like if one injector goes bad you have to go through hell kinda to change it ?

I am just curious because most of the trucks I am looking at are PS and I think maintaining one is to much for me.

Thanks for your experience in this matter.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:09 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,173 Posts
they very rarely just die. they give you warning signals through the check engine light.
the only exception to this rule is if the Cam Position Sensor dies. then the truck just shuts off and will not restart until it is swapped for a good one.

i have had my truck for 8 years and have not had a CPS problem yet, but the dealer did replace it under a recall 7 years ago.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:59 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i have the habit of purchasing powerstrokes that have issues.
i have came to the realization after my first purchase that when dealing with these engines, a scanner is a must!
i bought my first diesel in december of 13, knowing it needed top end work.
after replacing heads, injectors, and a whole slough of parts, i had my buddy next door scan the truck every step of the way.
when the check engine light comes on, i scan it.
it pretty much takes the guess work out of fixing it.
of course it does not pin point the problem but it tells you where to start, then you can trouble shoot the code for the correct fix.
after a nice stack of cash depleted, it runs great.
i did have a CPS failure at the beginning of the build, but it turned out to be my lack of motorcraft parts.

dorman parts are JUNK. do not ever use them

they take more wrench time, and more cash, but a supurb engine.

i drive my IDI on a daily because i like the lack of computers.

but when it comes to towing 3 tons on a long trip, hands down i choose the PSD

once you get the correct parts installed, you wont hesitate on getting into your PSD and taking a 8 hour trip.

some people like throwing money at their trucks, and wanting the most power out of them.
myself, i prefer a non chipped truck and let it ride on factory settings.
my PSD isnt fast, nor do i care if it is.... i want the longevity...

all in all, i like the PS so much, i bought a 98 7.3 E350 for 2k because "it needed injectors"
turned out to be the injector valve cover harness...

the snap on solus i purchased off my neighbor for 800 bucks is now my powerstrokes best friend.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by IDIoit
i have came to the realization after my first purchase that when dealing with these engines, a scanner is a must!
how much will the scanner capable of reading the codes for a psd truck set ya back? it's a must? most people factor this price into a psd purchase or do most not have issues often enough so for most its cheaper to have a shop read codes for them?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
One parked next to me once, I couldn't get the stench out no matter what I tried!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:18 PM
bigbird189
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned 2004 PS 6.0, 1994 PS and now own a 1988 7.3 IDI and 1986 6.9 IDI. I loved the PS for the their comfort and power but they kinda expensive to fix, and I love my 7.3 and 6.9 for being simple to work on and fairly cheap as compared to the PS. I sold a 2002 Duramax and hated that motor with a passion, had too many problems( I.E. Injectors, headgaskets, etc.). I want to buy a 2002 7.3 PS for my next truck. I wont get rid my 6.9 because I like it too much. But I think overall I like the PS better, but that's my opinion.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
how much will the scanner capable of reading the codes for a psd truck set ya back? it's a must? most people factor this price into a psd purchase or do most not have issues often enough so for most its cheaper to have a shop read codes for them?
i purchased the 01 F250, 4x4 CC SB 4" lift on bran new 35's for the price of 1500.
my neighbor upgraded his scanner and sold me said scanner for 800 bucks.
with all the adapters and all the chips for foreign and domestic minus volvo.

i had to spend a pretty penny to get this truck back up to par,
different sets of heads, to make the progress a smooth one, riff raf intake plentiums pure turbo center w/ billet comp wheel.
bellowed up pipes. crappy injectors, alot of money in dorman sensors to realize only to buy from ford.
but besides my injectors being poor remans, and i have to have the truck completely warm up before i drive, it runs like a champ, the scanner really helped me out, this was my very first computer controlled vehicle.

then i found a 98 E350, 2 grand for a 250k mile 7.3 fleet vehicle.
because " fuel lines were rotted, and it had bad injectors"
the company bought a bran new van.

turned out to be valve cover harnesses and rotted rear heater core lines.
so the scanner paid for itself.....

Old 04-20-2015, 09:50 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
How hard is it to change the cam position sensor and can you delete some of this computer sensor stuff ? Thanks for all the help. Finding cherry IDI's is hard and PS are much much easier to find. It seems like IDI's in good shape are finally getting a little respect. I saw one go on EBAY for 10 grand.

Thanks a mill for the info.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought you already bought another truck:

Originally Posted by Realslowww
I bought a 93 with a utility bed , it does not have a turbo. Should I take the turbo off my 94 and put it on it. This 93 has 00000 blow by, the motor is so tight.

How much work is a turbo swap ?

With 2 trucks I should be able to make 1 deluxe truck.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Realslowww, dude, empty your PMs. I can't send you one.

My only PS experience is my parents 02. 350K on it, still running fine...except for one "minor" issue. It would go into "limp mode"/one whole bank stopping firing randomly.
As it turns out, a shorting injector can kill the whole bank. At this point, we ended up disconnecting that injector and it's running fine on 7, but we aren't driving it really these days. Got a JY injector to put in, but it's not nearly as easy as an IDI to replace.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,173 Posts
Originally Posted by Realslowww
How hard is it to change the cam position sensor and can you delete some of this computer sensor stuff ? Thanks for all the help. Finding cherry IDI's is hard and PS are much much easier to find. It seems like IDI's in good shape are finally getting a little respect. I saw one go on EBAY for 10 grand.

Thanks a mill for the info.
never did it , but from what i understand a CPS is one 10 mm bolt and about 5 minutes to change,
as for eliminating sensors, no. they computer needs them all hooked up for the engine to run properly.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
I thought you already bought another truck:
I did but it was a impulse buy just for the motor and drive train. I probably should not have bought it and fixed my old F350.

The motor had 0 blow by and the tranny works like new so I bought it just on that merit. The rest of the truck is just a work chasses in need of TLC and not my one I want to keep long term and take care of and cherish.

I have a feeling you need to get what you want now because America is getting shut down industrially technically soon unless you are a member of the elite gang.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Realslowww, dude, empty your PMs. I can't send you one.

My only PS experience is my parents 02. 350K on it, still running fine...except for one "minor" issue. It would go into "limp mode"/one whole bank stopping firing randomly.
As it turns out, a shorting injector can kill the whole bank. At this point, we ended up disconnecting that injector and it's running fine on 7, but we aren't driving it really these days. Got a JY injector to put in, but it's not nearly as easy as an IDI to replace.

That is why I have not boughten one yet, if they would have set the motor up to where you could change the injectors without pulling the valve covers off that would have been golden. The motor is obviously much better over all but to hard to change the injectors. OK thanks for letting me know.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tjc transport
never did it , but from what i understand a CPS is one 10 mm bolt and about 5 minutes to change,
as for eliminating sensors, no. they computer needs them all hooked up for the engine to run properly.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a simple board that just monitors fuel for the EFI and cam position sensor and shuts most of the other unnecessary stuff off. Of course you would need to make wiring change and change the motor a touch but just wondering.

These motors have so much potential but are junked up to much for me.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:08 AM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
they make tuners that you can monitor pretty much everything.

the only sensor you can delete is the EBPV, it will throw a soft code, but people out there make a diode you plug into the pig tail to complete the circuit.

you really need all of those sensors to monitor the engine and make it run correctly.
the injectors run directly off of a computer, so unless youre a MIT grad, best to leave them alone.

the sensors are not hard to change, just the price of the sensors from ford that kick you in the rear.

IIRC a CPS is 180, and the IPR is 220.

do yourself a favor and go test drive one at a local car lot, or find a friend that will let you behind the wheel.

one thing i like about these CPU engines is that they are not ohm dependent, which means, if youre trying to swap into another vehicle, you can shorten the wires and make it easier.

Quick Reply: ? for people who have owned PStrokes.