Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key switch - fixing Accessory position?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:23 PM
aj88V
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key switch - fixing Accessory position?

My radio only comes on with the key in the full Run position. Since the previous owner installed the radio using the existing harness, I assume it's something to do with the ignition switch down on the column. Either the Accessory contacts need to be cleaned, or maybe the switch slides on it's mounting bolts to adjust position?

Ideas? How hard? Thx.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
you can try adjusting the switch, but it may be a little more than that.

if the actuator was changed and the rack behind the key cylinder was not properly timed, you will never get it to have both acc and start.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:56 AM
aj88V
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
you can try adjusting the switch, but it may be a little more than that.

if the actuator was changed and the rack behind the key cylinder was not properly timed, you will never get it to have both acc and start.
Thanks, Tom. To clarify, do you mean if the lock cylinder was removed and reinstalled?

I did remove the lock cylinder when fixing the wobbly steering column, but I had the problem before this. Surely Ford built some kind of way to align this into their system.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2015, 08:24 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Is it only your radio that doesn't work in ACC? Or does nothing work?

Old 04-17-2015, 08:59 AM
aj88V
Senior User
Originally Posted by jas88
Is it only your radio that doesn't work in ACC? Or does nothing work?
Good question. Is there anything else that should work with the ACC position? Only the radio as far as I know.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:37 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by aj88V
Thanks, Tom. To clarify, do you mean if the lock cylinder was removed and reinstalled?

I did remove the lock cylinder when fixing the wobbly steering column, but I had the problem before this. Surely Ford built some kind of way to align this into their system.

Thanks!
no. in the column there is a pot metal piece that connects the rack behind the key cylinder to the rod that goes down to the ignition switch. when it breaks the top of the column need to be disassembled to replace it.
if hte gears on the rack are not timed properly when put back together, you will end up with a no acc situation. the rack is a bit of a pain to properly time, and most people don't realize it is off until they have everything back together and say screw it it is good enough.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:57 PM
aj88V
Senior User
Dummkopf! After pulling the steering wheel and the lock cylinder, I saw that "indexing" the drive on the rack might involve more fiddly parts than I wanted to deal with in the 30 minutes before the sun went down. So I opened up the OEM service manual and found the procedure for aligning the switch down below on the column - inserting a pin, loosening the switch mounting bolts, finding the 'off' position with the key, etc. Not too hard.

But then it hit me! The ACC position on this old truck is found by rotating the key BACKWARDS, not halfway forward like every other vehicle I've owned in the past 15 years (including my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer - not just Jap vehicles!).

If only all repairs were this easy, but I still feel like an idiot!

Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
you are not an idiot, it is just senility setting in.

and i know the feeling all to well, i spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to do something that 20 years only took me 2 minutes to do.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
Windshield wipers work in ACC position.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:07 AM
aj88V
Senior User
Originally Posted by jas88
Windshield wipers work in ACC position.
Will have to try that, just to understand.

It was the "finding the off position" described in the service manual - rocking the key back and forth about the OFF position -that's what made me think that the ACC position was found turning backwards. Man, haven't had that on a vehicle in a long time!

And I learned that the cigarette lighter works in the OFF position. How times have changed. Nowadays, the actual lighter is now an optional accessory on most cars, and it's key switched so your GPS doesn't kill the battery. LOL!

So even though I wasted a lot of time with this, I went ahead and pulled out the instrument cluster, and installed LEDs to illuminate the gauges. Looks great!

Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 AM
fhafer
Mountain Pass
I am working on my son's 1987 F-250 and we are having key positions problems. This has been an issue since he bought the truck last year and it's time to fix it.

I think the problem is the ignition switch position/adjustment, but I want to confirm.

When you turn the key to the off position to remove the key, the switch goes electrically to the accessory position. With the key removed, the radio lights up and all accessory loads have power. When starting the truck you sometimes need to over-rotate the key cylinder to engage the starter motor.

Do you think this is a switch adjustment or a more difficult actuator timing adjustment?

To adjust the switch, do you remove the steering colum bolts and drop the column down?

Thank you for your time.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
it could be either a miss aligned switch, or a miss aligned key cylinder gears in the top of the column.by your description of the problem it sounds to me like the key cylinder gears are not properly aligned.
if you can live without the accessory position, i would first try adjusting the switch on the bottom of the steering column.
to adjust the switch,set the parking brake or chock the wheels. turn the radio on. remove the lower dash panels, and loosen the 4 bolts holding the column to the dash. you really do not need to remove them, but it will give you more room to work if you do.
if you have an automatic trans, you will also need to disconnect the shift indicator otherwise it will break when you drop the column.
with the column loose and steering wheel laying on the driver seat, you can then reach in with a 7/16 wrench and loosen the switch. there are 2 bolts, one on each side of the switch.
set the key cylinder in off and takeout position, and slide the switch down. this should turn the radio off. snug the bolts. try the key and see if it works properly.
if it does you can then put it back together. if you can not get it to work by adjusting the switch, then you are going to have to take the top of the column apart to align the cylinder gears.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 AM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Long shot, but likely worth mentioning.

Not all ignition lock cylinders are created equal. I'm not sure where the dividing lines are, but I know I had troubles when swapping lock cylinders between a 95 F250 with non tilt and a 97 F250 with tilt. Can't say for sure how or if this would apply to your truck, just something to be on the lookout for.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:10 AM
fhafer
Mountain Pass
We dropped the column, loosened the two 7/16" nuts and with the ignition switch locked/key removed, we slid the switch until the radio went off. We tightened the nuts on the ignition switch, reinstalled the steering column, and tested it. Everything works in the correct key position but the accessory position when you turn the key cylinder back from the locked position.

I'm guessing someone broke the pot metal actuator sometime in the past and when they reinstalled it they got the alignment off a tooth or two. Future work tearing into the steering column, but now the battery will stop going dead from sitting with the radio powered.

Job security having a teenage son with a classic truck.

Thanks for the help folks!!!

Old 08-16-2015, 11:34 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
good to hear!!! the alignment of the key cylinder gears is a pretty good job. if he can live without having the accessory position , i would leave well enough alone.

i know if it was mine i would. and i have rebuilt over 100 columns.

Quick Reply: Key switch - fixing Accessory position?