1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

balancing weights on mag wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:15 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
If you can't see me, I'm just shaking my head......having worked in a good ol fashion gas station through school, I installed tires on custom rims without the touchless tire machines or coated arms (yes, use to use a lot of lube & rags to prevent scratching) and balanced wheels/tires with a static balancer and centrifical (on car) balancer....

Some people (IMHO) are just not able to use common sense......and yes, I have had (a couple of times) installers do that even on my chrome oem wheels......in theory they are right as this in theory is the best/accurate way to balance a wheel/tire assembly but, I don't plan on driving 140+ mph......and with mags, they have to wire brush the inside center portion (middle of the width section) to ensure the stick on weights will adhere properly...and yes, sometimes they do come off but 1) its very rare & 2) even if they do, just get the assembly re-balanced.....and lastly, they will balance just fine up to about 100+ mph.

and yes, I make them take them off and re-balance them!

I have also had my share of discussions regarding lug nut torque....as they tend to use an online generic listing where I bring my OEM service manual and show them....this is what to torque em too.....and typically it's less than what they were about to do..........

Old 04-13-2015, 10:00 PM
HearseDriver
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Beechkid - Great information. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-27-2015, 10:38 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took it back to the dealer and made them re-balance the wheels and put the stick on weights inside the wheel, it looks much better and is smoother. Those mf's just rushed through it the first time. I think it reflects badly on the dealer since the reason I replace the tires that were not worn out yet was the shaking, I could not get the old tires balanced. I made it clear I wanted the tires balanced properly and they just ignored me, Next time I will bring it to a high end wheel and tire dealer.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
I took it back to the dealer and made them re-balance the wheels and put the stick on weights inside the wheel, it looks much better and is smoother. Those mf's just rushed through it the first time. I think it reflects badly on the dealer since the reason I replace the tires that were not worn out yet was the shaking, I could not get the old tires balanced. I made it clear I wanted the tires balanced properly and they just ignored me, Next time I will bring it to a high end wheel and tire dealer.
I can appreciate....the America Tire Company store I have bought my tires from for the past 10+ years...use to be great! I'm not saying they still aren't but, they got a new manager about 6 months ago....he's into this "race car pit stop" type motivation/action......ok...round 1 with my truck.....they lost a chrome valve stem cover and didn't rotate the tires....I tried once to tell a "tech" but they were all tooooo busy being "PitStop' crew....so I just waited until they were all done ready to take it down off the jacks......I advised them of their oops's, the manager initially started to say, "That wasn't on the work...." then stopped, looked at the work order and , hmmm, there it all was..........

So much for saving 5 minutes of time...it now cost them 15 minutes to do what they needed to...

I was nice and just said to the manager, you might want to slow it down just a tad.........with a smile of course...