Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   balancing weights on mag wheels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1373184-balancing-weights-on-mag-wheels.html)

bayou barataria 04-12-2015 12:36 AM

balancing weights on mag wheels

Is it just me or is the dealer supposed to put the balance weights on the inside of the stock mag wheels? I had some new tires put on my truck the other day and they put the weights on the outside and one is a big three ounce and it looks horrible to me, am I just being anal? By the way one of the wheels has no weights at all, I have never seen a tire that did not need any weights has anyone else? thanks for your input.

vortec 1 04-12-2015 08:42 AM

It would have to be a perfect match. I have never seen one. Anytime I have mine balanced I tell them to put them on the inside.

King-bRanch 04-12-2015 08:52 AM

I cant stand to look at weights :-arrgh
I tell em I want them on the inside also & if they need to be headed toward the outside of the rim, they can put on those sticky weights (still inside of rim)...

SuperDutyScaler 04-12-2015 09:15 AM

I never get weights on the outside, it clip ons on the inside and then sticky weights to help the outside. This time when I get new tires im getting beads installed and see how they work

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

MC5C 04-12-2015 09:25 AM

Yes, I have had wheels balance with no weights. The tire guys say they need to put weights on both inside and outside to bet the balance correct, and to me that makes sense. If I was the owner of fancy aluminium wheels I would have they use stick on weights in the center of the inside of the rim, but I'm not, so moot point. I balance my race car wheels with stick on weights on the inside pretty near the center, and use foil tape over them so they stay on forever.

Brian

hoss66 04-12-2015 10:28 AM

Just use beads instead of weights, no need to balance again until you get new tires

bayou barataria 04-12-2015 11:14 AM

not sure what you mean by beads, they don't have string on them do they?

hoss66 04-12-2015 11:28 AM

DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads

bayou barataria 04-12-2015 11:33 AM

Has anyone used these, I am skeptical to say the least.

hoss66 04-12-2015 11:34 AM

That was the first one that came up on google but there are other brands, the shop i used to work at used equal. They are all pretty much the same though

droldsmorland 04-13-2015 11:28 AM

My tire shop said the stick ons dont balance as well as the clip on(their opinion not mine, on stock rims). I had a new set of BFG they could not get them to balance(5 trys). They suggested the beads but I said no lets do a different brand. So they installed Coopers and the truck rode like a Caddy. That sux cuz I really liked the look of the BFGs. The Coopers dont have RWL. They go good in the snow though and the tread design is nice.

bayou barataria 04-13-2015 02:11 PM

I used the bfg all terrain tires for years because they were the best wearing tires I got like 30-40k miles out of them on my work truck where all the other brands would wear after half that. However the last two sets I that would throw chunks of rubber off of the treads in hot weather and I had two where the treads actually separated and one took out the side of my truck and caused $6,000 in damage. Any way I just got rid of a set that was not worn out because I could not get them balanced. Apparently they changed the composition of the rubber and I am posting this so other readers won't by them as they may f up your truck. They are expensive too, you would think they would make them better. I am not ranting, just letting people know.

SuperDutyScaler 04-13-2015 05:16 PM

I've run BFG all's on previous truck and when I bought my F350 new. My F350 is heavy and I got tired of almost getting stuck all the time so I switched to mud terrain tires. Had Mickey Thompson MTZ and loved then then I got the new KM2 BFG.....ha horrible wobble finally found the bad tire, since it took almost six months the tire shop or BFG wouldn't do full replacement so I had to pay $85 for the new tire. Now 2 1/2 years (2 for the new tire) all four tires are separating at the sidewalk tread all the way around the tire inside and outside!!! Tire shop says no go, called BFG and yelled sent the original receipt and the receipt for the fifth new tire and they said tire is too old and they won't do anything! So I'm trying easy till I buy new tires, even though mine still have at least 50% tread left

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Quad Racer 04-13-2015 06:02 PM

Id have them rebalance em . If a tire shop tried to glue weights on the outside of my wheels it would get ugly for them. Im not a jerk or anal but come on.

Steel wheels?, sure go ahead and do what ya got to do.

Chrome, aluminum or painted wheels? They need to be on the inside. The weights glued to my wheels have been on there for years and the truck rides just fine and the tires have worn evenly. Even with several burnouts.:-X19

TexasRebel 04-13-2015 06:09 PM

Why not just use water?...

or an antifreeze mix if you're in a freeze area.