1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Well its arrived...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:13 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its arrived...

Hi guys, Im new here. Been browsing different threads here and there, doing some research etc.

Id recently had a gutsfull of modern cars, over complicated, silly issues, expensive to fix...being kicked in the nuts by depreciation etc.

I have always wanted an F100, in alot of ways its my dream car. I finally decided to just do it..I sold my BMW, and bought one. Was told it was mechanically sound etc but the paint was a little rough. I bought it without seeing it and paid to have it delivered. lol

It was delivered to my works today, i finished work and drove it home...The romantic dream is a little far away at the moment haha. The steering was scary...really scary. I managed it, and the feeling and sound alone made me fall in love. Hoping to paint it this weekend, even if temporarily to tidy it up. Lots of plans and it will be a rolling resto...it has to be being its the only car i currently have

Here she is..i feel we are going to be very happy together

Old 04-02-2015, 04:26 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've been bit hard by the old/classic vehicle bug - There is no recovery - Open your wallet and watch the money fly away
Welcome to FTE - great bunch of guys and gals here - You don't see much from the Ladies, say something nasty about Woman and be prepared to duck

Old 04-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Nice looking truck.
Get that steering fixed before you mess with paint. We want you to keep it on the road safely. Ask plenty of questions our experts will be glad to help you get things fixed properly.

We would also like to see pictures of the interior and under the hood.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:05 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
congrats to you and your new daily driver! Maybe your steering is not as bad as you think, compared to a BMW. Can you turn the steering wheel a lot before the wheels turn or just a little. Maybe it just takes getting used to.

Show us pics after the paint job, please. Someone said in your earlier thread that the sound of a Y-block is unique, and it is you now know.

Good luck and enjoy! I like the fact you are doing a "rolling restoration."

Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
My father used to have a company that restored vintage cars, i began tinkering from the age of 12sh. Iv driven plenty of old cars etc, iv never come accross steering this bad. Im fairly sure its what you would call excessive. I will do some more tests tomorrow.

I keep seeing references mentioning fitting a toyota steering box...So far i cannot for love nor money find out which box (from what toyota) im looking for lol.

Id like a manual box, I'll be going IFS at some point in the near future, id like it safe to drive for now. Can anyone enlighten me what toyota box i should be looking for? Hilux?

Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 970 Likes on 864 Posts
Nice find. Especially in your neck of the woods. Enjoy and do get that steering looked after.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:14 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Welcome from Maine.

I think we should give you a lot of praise and admiration to sell your only car...which was modern, safe and comfortable, and buy a 60-year-old pickup truck sight unseen, ship it thousands of miles and then plan to drive it home the same day.
And you did.

Congrats. It's a very nice looking truck just the way it is!

Tom

Old 04-02-2015, 05:21 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I assume you are using the stock beam axle? It is not unusual for the steering to be worn enough to be "scary", here's how to determine where the problems lay: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...licks-etc.html my post #11 and here's my article on the OEM steering box and replacing it with a Toyota PS box (which works so well, Ford should have used it) There are a few updates since I wrote that, ask again for the updates if you decide to go that route. https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...60_Trucks.html

Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
There is a screw on the side of your steering box that can be tightened that might help make the steering tighter. don't tighten it too tight. Also, look for slop in the steering components such as tie rod ends, pitman arms. Also, worn leaf spring bushings and hangers can affect steering.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:32 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Thanks for the welcome guys

And the info you lot are providing is invaluable. Will be looking into the steering tomorrow to try determine what it is and what i can do about it in the meantime.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:45 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The beam axle and components are easy to rebuild and will make a world of difference (along with a caster adjustment shim or two to increase the caster for modern highways and speeds.) If you don't already have one, make the overseas call tomorrow to Mid Fifty Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts and request one of their free catalogs, or down load it and print it out if you have enough paper. There is a wealth of very useful information and illustrations in it as well as listing about any part available you might need, and they do ship to the UK. Nice truck and welcome by the way.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:06 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
Im about to place a big order with Mid-fifty for the essentials i need right now. Steering items will be going on the list. Luckily i can remove the 12v conversion items as its been done.

Could you tell me what vehicle the toyota box is actually off? What model and year?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:00 PM
1950FordF1
Senior User
Welcome.
Looks like a sound body, are you going to bring back the blue or?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 PM
F100Jay
Junior User
I'm yet to decide. I was going to go with an aqua/Teal colour. But I may end up going for a lovely graphite grey colour iv painted in before. I won't know until I sit with a colour chart tomorrow

Old 04-02-2015, 09:02 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jay,
Welcome Aboard! I spent more time than I want to think about down by Bracknell/Reading.

I wouldn't be in any hurry to paint it - I think the weathered look is in now. People pay big bucks for that look. Everything you ever
wanted to know about the Toyota Steering alternative. We had the same wobbly steering - scary - They refer to it here as a "drunken monkey".

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...g-options.html

Ben in Austin (TX)
1950 F1

Quick Reply: Well its arrived...