6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Does the 15 degree Delta rule apply to modded trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:28 PM
LiftedBlackHD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the 15 degree Delta rule apply to modded trucks?

Just swapped the oil cooler and welded the egr cooler shut after flushing the system with restore and restore plus. Additionally I have been running ELC with a coolant filter for over 40k miles. After all that I'm seeing a 12 degree delta. I was hoping for less.

This got me thinking though. I run an SCT with mild custom tuning, atlas 40 FICM amongst the other mods in my sig.

I also have an 8" lift and 38" tires. The tires definitely make the engine work harder compared to stock tires.

In my scenario does the 15 degree delta even apply?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would only discount those numbers if I had a remote oil cooler installed. 12 is kind of high after a cooler change.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:28 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 1,000 Posts
Hope you did the flush BEFORE the oil cooler change..... I believe that's what you said.

What are your numbers after an overnight cold soak WITHOUT your engine running?

Old 03-29-2015, 11:42 AM
LiftedBlackHD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The guages work fine. Cold soak numbers are just a tad higher than ambient air temps.

Again the truck was flushed 40k miles ago, elc added and a coolant filter installed.

Flushed again 2 weeks ago with restore and massive amounts of water.

Then the truck was then driven for a couple hundred miles prior to cooler swap. Everything was done the right way.

I will add that the cooler appears to function properly in that the second I pull off the freeway the temps instantly start dropping.

I guess I should also add that I have a tool box with a few hundred pounds of gear.

I'm considering the Absolute Performance Delta kit for peace of mind...

Old 03-29-2015, 02:39 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
1) After an EGR delete, the 15 degree "rule" is no longer valid. However, keeping an eye on the spread is an indication of oil cooler health.

2) I would expect far better spread than 12 degrees @ 65 with a new cooler. Although, by your results you mention it cools off rapidly after slowing down which is a good thing.

3) With that said I would suspect a possible weak oil cooler bypass is contributing to the higher temps at speed.

Josh

Old 03-29-2015, 06:35 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
1) After an EGR delete, the 15 degree "rule" is no longer valid. However, keeping an eye on the spread is an indication of oil cooler health.

2) I would expect far better spread than 12 degrees @ 65 with a new cooler. Although, by your results you mention it cools off rapidly after slowing down which is a good thing.

3) With that said I would suspect a possible weak oil cooler bypass is contributing to the higher temps at speed.

Josh
I would have thought the rule applies for a couple reasons.

Oil cooler.... 15* spread because of plugged passages.
EGR is coolant and exhaust gasses, really nothing to do with oil temps. Removing the exhaust flow would remove some heat, but since it doesn't directly touch oil, I'd of thought that deleting it wouldn't really affect a plugged passage in the oil cooler.

Flawed thinking?

Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
When you delete the EGR cooler you remove some of the load on the cooling system which is where this discussion stems from.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
I would have thought the rule applies for a couple reasons.

Oil cooler.... 15* spread because of plugged passages.
EGR is coolant and exhaust gasses, really nothing to do with oil temps. Removing the exhaust flow would remove some heat, but since it doesn't directly touch oil, I'd of thought that deleting it wouldn't really affect a plugged passage in the oil cooler.

Flawed thinking?
With no functioning EGR cooler, what difference does the spread mean? The only limit is then the 253 de-fuel.

I would still change the cooler once it hit a spread of 15-20. I wouldn't consider it mandatory the cooler is changed with no EGR cooler though.

Josh

Old 03-29-2015, 07:08 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
When you delete the EGR cooler you remove some of the load on the cooling system which is where this discussion stems from.
Agree'd... But I would think not more than a couple degrees... plugged is plugged, if the coolant can't reach the passages, won't matter much.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:14 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
The oil cooler may get slightly plugged but it won't matter as much as if the EGR cooler was present. You don't have to worry about boiling the coolant in the egr and rupturing it.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:14 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
With no functioning EGR cooler, what difference does the spread mean? The only limit is then the 253 de-fuel.

I would still change the cooler once it hit a spread of 15-20. I wouldn't consider it mandatory the cooler is changed with no EGR cooler though.

Josh
I would think that the oil cooler with cooling provided by the water was more signification than that. Cooling happens in the heads as well and some other places. What would the significance of the oil cooler then be? Was the cooler added because of the EGR?

Edit... maybe I'm thinking to much like a gasser... it the only oil cooling happening at cooler.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:16 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
I would think that the oil cooler with cooling provided by the water was more signification than that. Cooling happens in the heads as well and some other places. What would the significance of the oil cooler then be? Was the cooler added because of the EGR?
huh? More significant than what?

Old 03-29-2015, 07:22 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
if oil cooling happens throughout the motor, then what purpose was the oil cooler... to provide more cooling, so oil temps wouldn't get out of control (defuel). So it does serve some purpose and should provide a level of efficiency.. if it provided nothing, then why not just bypass it all together? And basically is what your saying, that once the ERG cooler is gone, it doesn't muck matter... that what I'm hearing?

I'm all about learning something...

Old 03-29-2015, 07:25 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
if oil cooling happens throughout the motor, then what purpose was the oil cooler... to provide more cooling, so oil temps wouldn't get out of control (defuel). So it does serve some purpose and should provide a level of efficiency.. if it provided nothing, then why not just bypass it all together? And basically is what your saying, that once the ERG cooler is gone, it doesn't muck matter... that what I'm hearing?

Oil cooling doesn't happen throughout the motor. Nothing in there cools down the oil. The oil cools down internal parts though.

If you had no oil cooler, the oil temps would get HOT in a hurry.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if oil cooling happens throughout the motor, then what purpose was the oil cooler... to provide more cooling, so oil temps wouldn't get out of control (defuel). So it does serve some purpose and should provide a level of efficiency.. if it provided nothing, then why not just bypass it all together? And basically is what your saying, that once the ERG cooler is gone, it doesn't muck matter... that what I'm hearing?<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />
The spread is there to protect the EGR cooler from being starved of coolant from a plugged oil cooler, once the EGR cooler has been removed the importance of the temp spread has been diminished significantly as there is no danger of rupturing the EGR cooler due to lack of coolant, however the spread will still indicate a plugging oil cooler and reduce its ability too properly cool the oil so at this point the main concern is how high the oil temp gets, so now the deciding factor on when to change the oil cooler is not solely based on temp spread but what the max oil temperature becomes.

Quick Reply: Does the 15 degree Delta rule apply to modded trucks?