Well this sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 07:28 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

you mean like fracture-split connecting rods?

Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I Googled fracture-split connecting rods and still don't understand what it is.
Discuss?

Old 03-27-2015, 07:40 PM
pkthomas
Senior User
Unfortunately I see self driving cars as a big hit with people who would prefer to look at their phone and text, watch videos, play games... than drive. I got a base 2010 Mazda 5 just so I could get a manual transmission in a new car for our family of 5.

Insurance companies would love to know everything they can about how and where you drive. This is why they give you a "discount" if you put one of their trackers(snapshot...) In your car. Imagine if they could get the information from the manufacturer.

I don't think insurers will like self driving cars. Less chance for a wreck, lower premiums. Of the manufacturer has to provide coverage. Big bulk policy.

Rant over

Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I Googled fracture-split connecting rods and still don't understand what it is.
Discuss?
This is what I found:

http://www.cyclewoerld.com/2014/05/26/ask-kevin-how-are-fracture-spit-connecting-rods-mad/

Scott

Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 PM
ng19delta
Senior User
Originally Posted by pkthomas
Unfortunately I see self driving cars as a big hit with people who would prefer to look at their phone and text, watch videos, play games... than drive. I got a base 2010 Mazda 5 just so I could get a manual transmission in a new car for our family of 5.

Insurance companies would love to know everything they can about how and where you drive. This is why they give you a "discount" if you put one of their trackers(snapshot...) In your car. Imagine if they could get the information from the manufacturer.

I don't think insurers will like self driving cars. Less chance for a wreck, lower premiums. Of the manufacturer has to provide coverage. Big bulk policy.

Rant over
I categorically REFUSE to give up my 5th amendment rights and use one of those spy trackers... I tell them where THEY can place(shove) it. Period.

Scott

Old 03-28-2015, 03:57 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Fracture-split connecting rods literally have the rod cap broken off of the big end.

The fracture pattern only allows the rods cap to sit one way on the rod, so alignment is automatic. These rods cannot be reconditioned.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:29 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
After having GPS's they supposedly tell you what the speed limit is
(and the new 760 even lights up in RED WHEN I exceed it!)

70% of the time it is wrong... remember this is the same gooberment that does such a fine job at everything else

Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 AM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Considering how many wrecks are due to driver error, I suspect insurance companies will love self-driving cars. Of course, there are also those situations where you need to do something illogical to avoid a wreck -I guess if you get killed because the programming is inadequate - well, it just sucks to be you!

I look at these monitors the insurance companies want you to put in your car as a win-win ONLY for the insurance company. It lets them know if you were doing anything wrong they could exclude coverage for - speeding a mile or so over the limit etc. - or so they can claim you contributed to an accident's cause. in my experience, anything they can use to raise your rates or pay less on accidents - they'll use it.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:03 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HoustonDave
Considering how many wrecks are due to driver error, I suspect insurance companies will love self-driving cars. Of course, there are also those situations where you need to do something illogical to avoid a wreck -I guess if you get killed because the programming is inadequate - well, it just sucks to be you!

I look at these monitors the insurance companies want you to put in your car as a win-win ONLY for the insurance company. It lets them know if you were doing anything wrong they could exclude coverage for - speeding a mile or so over the limit etc. - or so they can claim you contributed to an accident's cause. in my experience, anything they can use to raise your rates or pay less on accidents - they'll use it.

Yep. Insurance companies contribute millions for automotive safety research and highway improvements. It all sounds great, but it is really about reducing the monetary payout. Reduce crashes and you save insurance companies money. As we all know, insurance rates have not gone down.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:02 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
All these safer cars increase accidents because the danger of death or severe injury is lower. People are more apt to use phones and other handheld distractors while driving, because the "smart" car will take care of them.
On the other hand, the current generation coming of age thinks of cars more as appliances anyways. The kitchen and laundry room were revolutionized by automated appliances, so I guess the road-going ones will be automated too.
I'll keep my 45year old truck, even if I have to put a Looper-esque emissions recovery system on it.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Heck if you go back far enough spark plugs and shock absorbers were disassembled to their component parts and repaired.

There was a news blurb today about a "driverless" car that just made a crosscountry trip. The problem they are working on, is 99% of the time everything works OK, but the other 1% of the time when human judgment is needed, or when something unusual happens.