6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Upgrade? 45k left of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:14 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Upgrade? 45k left of warranty

I'm throwing around the idea of maybe upgrading. Aside from an EGT sensor snafu my truck has been reliable. The EGR system was replaced under warranty around 20-25k and the cooling system was replaced around 65k, neither of which was critical (needed done, but didn't kill the truck like EGT sensor).

I haven't kept up with the forums much the past couple years so I haven't caught many of the upgrades/fixes/problems that have come about in new renditions of the 6.7. I did hear the EGT sensor issue should be fixed - redesign in the sensor and new programming (my truck had the recall done, ironically very shortly after it went in on a flatbed for that).

How are the high pressure fuel pumps? Have those been re-designed too? Have the fuel filters/water separators been changed?

I'm not too concerned with the entertainment and electronics upgrades, though I use my nav every time I'm in the truck so if anyone has any comments on the graphics/features of the new ones that would be great. A buddy of mine got an F150 and the satellite features look enhanced from what mine is, but I don't need any of that. I never renewed the subscription on mine since the 6 month trial expired. I did see they added rear seat heaters as an option too - that would be nice.

What is the stock GVWR? I see the packages for 10k and 11,400. I think mine is 11,500. I guess it doesn't matter really as long as it isn't neutered. My truck now is over 8500lbs empty and 8k is the registration line here - up to 8k then 8-12k - so as long as I'm under 12 I'm in the same class.

My truck right now is pushing 80k, warranty is out to 125k. Lots of time to think. I'm just thinking if I can roll in to a new one for a good price it might be worth it.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
They changed the HPFP a little in 2015, Mainly to push more fuel for the slightly bigger injectors needed for the increase in HP. You get an extra 40 hp. I just got my 2015, So I have not really towed anything yet, But around town empty, I'm not feeling much difference with the extra HP. The Bigger Turbo of the 15 model seems to have just a touch of turbo lag vs my 2011. HPFP just have not been that big of a problem if you don't put gas, DEF or water in your fuel tank by mistake. Ford has shipped over 1/2 million of these engines and it has been rare that somebody actually has a HPFP failure that is not related to wrong fluids being put in the fuel.

The MyFord navigation will have more current maps than your 2011 version. But the new radio comes only with a CD, No DVD, so you can't watch a movie on your truck Nav Screen while waiting for somebody.

My 2015 does seem to be a little bit quieter.

You get the Exhaust Brake button, Again, I have not used that yet. Ask me next week after I drag my 4h GN trailer down central Utah this weekend.

My 2011 truck ( built July 2010) had 145,000 miles on it when I sold it. A few minor repairs, Two EGT sensors. But for the most part a very reliable truck. I'm seeing lots of these trucks being sold with 120,000 to 150,000 miles on them. So a lot of owners have put a lot of miles on them.

Personally there was not enough new to entice me to trade up if I did not have the miles that I had accumulated. Any truck will have some maintenance as they exceed 100,000 miles. Alternators, water pumps, bearings, window openers etc all wear out and start needing to be replaced. I just don't enjoy those kind of repairs and prefer a truck payment with a vehicle under warranty vs unscheduled repair bills.

The stock GVW is 11,500. The other numbers are downgrades for folks living in states that penalize them for the 11,500 rating

Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The exhaust brake works very well, huge improvement.

The nav screen is a bit nicer but I actually liked my 2011 system better but it's a personal thing. For example, there isn't a button on the dash for seat heat, you have to go to a menu on screen to manage the seats. The nav system does work nicely though. It is nice.

I like the new interior colors. Darker brown and black are available which for me is great. My truck is used for work and the darker colors hide grime better.

The engine/trans/exhaust systems are pretty much the same in my mind. I know there are slight differences but nothing noteworthy.

The other side of the coin here, if you get a 2015/16 model it will be the last before the big design change for 17. So, if by chance you do not like the new ones in 17 you've got 5 years or so to see how things develop. If, in 2018 you need a new truck but you don't like what ford has done to the SD platform, you won't be forced to make a decision.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
I can only say that going from a '11 F 350, to a '15 F 350 was far more than just a 4 yr newer truck. Its a different truck. Smoother, quieter, a whole different feel to it vs my '11 which was and almost exact dupe. My new one is a KR whereas my '11 was a Utl Lairat.

Even my wife noticed the difference when she drove it.

The Nav IMO is far superior to the old, the Sony sound system is nothing short of a WOW and am as tone deaf as they come.

So what does the future hold? The torque race I would says is all but over with Dodge by a nose at 865 lbs of T. It may climb a bit more,, but not much due to driveline costs. You just can add more T/HP to the engine and not significant upgrades to the trans and axle set.

That leaves styling and more 'stuff'. What next, hot/cold drink holders, vibrating seats etc etc.

Much of my adult life my daily driver was a Jeep Wrangler. It has PS/PB and AC, but the rest was left on the order sheet, I equipped it a std trans and 3.73 LS or 4.11 LS/Lockers. Interesting in that in all those years it was a rare day my Jeep went to the dealer for a warranty item...just not much to go wrong.

So my guess is Ford is going to up the ante and keep the interior loaded to the gills as Chevy/Dodge struggle to play in a big boys world.

I can stand on any street with my back to the traffic and tell you when a Dodge truck is coming...NOISE. Folks are amazed at how quiet my truck is and how nice the KR is. Chevy/Dodge are at best playing catch up ball.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
It doesn't sound like this would be a financial hardship so I say upgrade before the 17s come out. Your truck still retains great trade value because it’s not considered “the old model”. The 6.7Ls have a solid reputation. If you get a 15 or 16, you will get more power and a really nice truck. We don’t hear much on FTE about HPFP, valves, or any other common failures. We think the sensor failure are done with the 15 model year. The 15 and 16s may be the best truck Ford produces for a few years. Your un-used part of the extended warranty will be rebated back.

bruce...

Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd almost say if you can hang out for a '16 it might be worth it. my crib too make some good points.

I upgraded from a '11 to a '15 because the value of my '11 was so high I have enough equity to get a lower payment and I went from a Lariat to a Platinum. I put zero down on my '11 too. I also wanted the cold weather stuff do to my move from Florida to Alaska. Things I didn't have on my '11. And my '11 needed tires, a new windshield, and a rock cracked the front chrome grill. It was so tiny that you couldn't see it, but I knew over time it would need replacement. So saving a few thousand, skipping a truck payment, and getting a lower one just made sense.

I liked my '11 NAV Screen better, I do miss the MANUAL push buttons for things like the seat heater - so that when I go in reverse you can turn them on if you haven't already. But now I am used to my '15.

Everyone else covered the other points I was going to make...

Old 03-27-2015, 03:29 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
16's will be the same truck as a 15. The 15's had enough rebate for me to move forward and order one last week. I'm not holding out for a 17 New truck, due to I don't buy 1st model years and the switch to Aluminum will probably drive to price up another 5-6K just like the F150's.

I'm betting that my 15 will hold it's value very well even when the new model arrives next year. If the price of a 17 goes into the 75k range for a higher trim level the used market will benefit.

Just my opinion and I could be wrong. Worked out Great for me selling my old model year Raptor.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
This is a good time to sell a Raptor. When the new Raptor comes out, the price of the old ones might drop back some.

What did you think of your Raptor? How was it as a daily driver if you used it that way?

Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 PM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
This is a good time to sell a Raptor. When the new Raptor comes out, the price of the old ones might drop back some.

What did you think of your Raptor? How was it as a daily driver if you used it that way?
The Raptor was hands down the best truck I've ever owned. I've had diesels, F150's, Z71's etc. It drove very well and was just very fun to drive and own. I have regrets selling it. Only negative with a Raptor is hauling anything. Put anything in the bed and it sags something terrible.

Hopefully the F350 will fill the void!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:05 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Thanks for the info. I haven't kept up on the changes coming, but I did hear that the F150 went to aluminum for the body. I would be curious what happens with the super duties in that regard. I don't need to upgrade, but I figured I would toss the idea around. I've been happy with all the super duties I've had. As with any vehicle, they will need service. I am glad the exhaust sensor was all that I have experienced as a "break down", and that happened in my driveway as opposed to on the road. I suppose that is a pretty good track record on luck with vehicles.

Originally Posted by David1986
Only negative with a Raptor is hauling anything. Put anything in the bed and it sags something terrible.

Hopefully the F350 will fill the void!
The rear end sag is the main reason I think I will stick to 1 tons. I had my 1/2 ton running on the bump stops at times. The 2010 F250 I had was sitting low with not much load (leer 180 cap and a tool box). The 2 350's Ive had/driven now - when the overload springs hit the sag stops right there. The dually was quite a bit stiffer, but it did a nice job with a gooseneck car hauler. I don't haul anything that heavy/big any more so a dually is a bit overkill. Its still nice to have the capacity though. The 1 tons/350's make for better, more stable, load carrying and hauling platforms when you need them

Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
250s and srw 350s have the same spring packs and axels....different label on the door.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:25 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
250s and srw 350s have the same spring packs and axels....different label on the door.
Maybe something changed, but the 250 I had did not have blocks and had no overload springs. The main springs may be the same, but without helpers/overload springs the 250 rear end I had would go down quite a bit.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Around $170 difference in price, rear bump stops, and a sticker that gives you more pounds to tow without being overloaded - thereby keeping you out of a ticket for being overloaded. Or god forbid an accident happens, it can help in the liability department or even from you going to jail...

I used to drive F250's and then decided the extra $170 was worth it for that peace of mind. Has zero to do with the capability of the truck.

I also agreee with what KC8QVO posted too...

Old 03-28-2015, 08:15 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's possible to get an F250 with the same spring pack as an F350srw, but not all F250 trucks are identical with regard to the rear leaf set up.

Unless it has changed, it does matter how the F250 is built, some of them are not the same as the 350srw.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't driven a 2015, I've heard all the debates about "there isn't a big enough difference in HP"...... But, I think it's more than the increased power numbers, it's the power delivery and reliability that Ford has concentrated on in the '15. IMHO, the 15 is the penultimate iteration of the current generation truck, the next few years will see many changes, I wouldn't doubt the Ford will be tweaking more than just the body materials. If I were you, I'd more than likely go for the 15.
I love my 2014, but I think the 15 has a lot of "lessons learned" applied to it.

As far as HP, I can't really say it is or isn't a significant change, but I do know I can see 40 more horses in a pasture!

Quick Reply: Upgrade? 45k left of warranty