1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise with hill start assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 PM
milsuper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking noise with hill start assist

I own a 2012 F350 dually King Ranch with 6,600 miles on it as of today. I noticed that on slight inclines, I can see and feel the hill start assist feature activating and working as before. I was not towing anything today. Starting today though, I hear this loud creaking noise both in forward and reverse directions with quite a bit of shutter from front of the truck lasting one to two seconds as I transition from the brake to accelerator. I checked the front hubs to make sure that they are not in locked position. I tried activating 4WD auto mode, then deactivate it to 2WD mode as I watched the diagram/figure on the dashboard. Nothing would make the loud creaking noise and shutter go away. Is there anything else I can try, or should I take it back to my Ford dealer again (now for another different reason. I had problem with injector #8 failure with CEL come on earlier this week which appears to be fixed for now)??? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
Is it possibly just your brakes making noise? Like when you apply barely enough brake pedal pressure at a stoplight and you hear brakes creaking from minor slippage.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:06 PM
milsuper
Junior User
No. There is absolutely no creaking noise or shutter with any type of braking on level roads at any speed. The noise or shutter does not occur after disengaging the emergency/parking brakes. The noise and shutter only occurs on incline after coming to a full stop and engaging the hill start assist. The noise is similar to metallic creak as if a transfer case is binding/slipping, but it only comes from front wheel area while in 2WD mode. I even tried to coast down to full stop on an incline without hitting brakes then give a little push on the accelerator. The transmission took it right over and forward motion is restored without any creaking noise or shutter, so I don't think it's a transmission issue either. I currently own three other 4 wheel drive vehicles (Lexus, toyota tacoma TRD off road, and Acura MDX) with various set ups, as well as previous owner of a Jeep grand cherokee limited, so I'm familiar with different systems with 4 wheel drive as well as hill start assists. But I never experienced this type of creaking noise or shutter as with my F350.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:04 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by milsuper
...Starting today though, I hear this loud creaking noise both in forward and reverse directions with quite a bit of shutter from front of the truck lasting one to two seconds as I transition from the brake to accelerator...
Hi milsuper,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership to have this checked out. Let me know what they have to say; I'll be able to research ways to help once you've had your truck diagnosed. Keep us posted.

Crystal

Old 03-23-2015, 06:06 PM
milsuper
Junior User
Thanks, Crystal. I'm thinking about making an appointment soon before my main towing season starts within next couple of weeks. I will be spending a lot of time towing my horse trailer which I primarily own my F350 for. It's a little surprising and disappointing since my Ford has been very good up until about two weeks ago. I just hope they can figure out what's causing the issue, and solve it.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:22 PM
katoom400
Junior User
Mine has done this since day 1, now at 4,000 miles

Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Thanks, Crystal. I'm thinking about making an appointment soon before my main towing season starts within next couple of weeks. I will be spending a lot of time towing my horse trailer which I primarily own my F350 for. It's a little surprising and disappointing since my Ford has been very good up until about two weeks ago. I just hope they can figure out what's causing the issue, and solve it.
I'm sure you'll be in great hands at your dealership, milsuper. Send me a PM the day before you head in and I'll get your regional customer service manager involved as well. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Originally Posted by katoom400
Mine has done this since day 1, now at 4,000 miles
Which model year is your truck, katoom400? Have you mentioned it to your dealer? I'll be happy to do what I can to help you as well.

Crystal

Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 AM
katoom400
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordService
I'm sure you'll be in great hands at your dealership, milsuper. Send me a PM the day before you head in and I'll get your regional customer service manager involved as well. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Which model year is your truck, katoom400? Have you mentioned it to your dealer? I'll be happy to do what I can to help you as well.

Crystal
Mine is a 2015 4x4 xlt crew cab. at first I didn't know what this was, then I found out it was the hill start assist and I though it was normal operation.

I notice it every morning when I back out of the uphill driveway. Feels like the truck has to fight to overcome the brake and then lets loose and it's fine from there.

I'll have to test again, but I believe if I take my foot off the brake pedal and wait a few seconds before feeding it gas, then it releases as it should, however if I take my foot off the brake and give it gas it's fighting itself until it releases.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:50 PM
milsuper
Junior User
Crystal, Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to contact you when I finalize my appointment.

Katoom400, it appears that we might both have exactly the same symptoms. I have hill start assist function in all of my other vehicles, and I've never had any issue. The metallic creaking noise with shutter feels as if something is binding for a second or two, then it releases as the transmission builds sufficient energy to propel the vehicle in either forward or rear direction on an incline. I'm not sure if it's a mechanical issue or computer program issue (or both). All I know is that such symptoms were not present for past three years of ownership, but it's definitely a new issue with my truck. For now, I'm not confident to tow my horse trailer with my horses in it on any inclines until I have this issue addressed. I just hope that they have some sort of TSB on it.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:13 PM
dirtymutt
Senior User
The hill start hold the brakes on for 2 seconds. Maybe your just not waiting long enough to release. Mine comes on in the driveway with the slight incline and if I wait the 2seconds I can feel the brakes release then I creep forward.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 PM
katoom400
Junior User
Crystal, Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to contact you when I finalize my appointment.

Katoom400, it appears that we might both have exactly the same symptoms. I have hill start assist function in all of my other vehicles, and I've never had any issue. The metallic creaking noise with shutter feels as if something is binding for a second or two, then it releases as the transmission builds sufficient energy to propel the vehicle in either forward or rear direction on an incline. I'm not sure if it's a mechanical issue or computer program issue (or both). All I know is that such symptoms were not present for past three years of ownership, but it's definitely a new issue with my truck. For now, I'm not confident to tow my horse trailer with my horses in it on any inclines until I have this issue addressed. I just hope that they have some sort of TSB on it.

yes, definitely the same problem.

to me it feels like the computer is not understanding that I'm feeding it gas and releasing as it should, so it's trying to hold it on the hill. I haven't tested it again but I think if you wait a few seconds it releases on it's own.

I'll have to find some time to bring it in to be looked at. not terribly worried about it at this point since it does release.

so aggravated in all the manufactures for trying to make our trucks, safer and easier to drive and thus making everything more complicated.

now that I think about it, I wonder if it also applies the trailer brakes and now you would have to overcome the truck brake and the trailer brakes to get going?

they can keep their electronic nannies! If I can't start on a hill with an automatic trans, them I have no business driving a truck.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Moogal78
Senior User
I can't know from a post what exactly you're feeling, but I definitely have a creaking sound from my front brakes when the hill start assist has kicked in, and I apply the accelerator to get moving. Seems normal to me that the brakes would groan a bit as you attempt to overcome them. I also have the long bed shudder when the rear is under a bit of squat. I might guess that if you have a long bed you are experiencing the same, since the rear will squat a bit as you brake to a stop going uphill. Don't know if this helps you.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:05 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal, Thanks for your help. I'll be sure to contact you when I finalize my appointment....
Originally Posted by katoom400
...I'll have to find some time to bring it in to be looked at...
Keep us updated, folks. I'll continue to check in here to see if you need my help.

Crystal

Old 11-14-2016, 06:34 PM
h1hummerh2
New User
I've had an issue with my 2012 F150 for almost since new that the dealership continues to tell me doesn't exist. It sounds almost exactly like this. The truck "stutters" when coming to a stop and then again when starting. It's almost like the hill assist always engages, regardless of if there's a hill or not. I'm going to bring it back in now and suggest they look into the hill assist.

Did anyone get any answers from Ford? Also, does anyone know if I can disable hill assist so I can test if thats the issue?

Thanks!