Sponsored by: Moser

Truck daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:45 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck daily driver?

So, at this point I'm kind of wondering how many out there use their truck as their daily vehicle. I just sold my 01 Audi A8L (offer I couldn't refuse) so I'm now down to the 13 Flex and 06 Powerstroke. My wife daily drives the Flex with the kids and I wouldn't even consider replacing it. The truck on the other hand has been my daily for about 3 years but I'm considering at this point replacing it with an F-150.

My dilemma at this point is that over the past 3 years the most I've towed was a car on a 16' steel and wood car trailer and the most I've hauled was about 2500 pounds in brake rotors 5 miles down the road to the scrap yard. I feel as if the F-250 is going to waste as well as the diesel engine. I love the truck for the big truck feel, the power, and knowing it'll take whatever I can throw at it (basically). The downside is that I do live in town so parking is a PITA and living in Iowa means having to deal with -30 degree weather and let's just say the truck doesn't enjoy it. I've had a few times over the last few years that the truck has gelled while driving to work and barely got me there even after plugging it in over night and letting it run for 15 minutes before leaving the house. At this point I'm just kind of over the diesel thing, but having giving up the capacity.

I then thought about keeping the truck I have now since it's paid for and getting a third vehicle that I could use instead of the truck. Problem is that I would need something that could fit the two kids in comfortably and would actually make sense to have. The fuel mileage of the truck isn't a problem as my commute is only about 20 miles a day. Also, this would mean my third vehicle couldn't really be my "toy" since it would have to perform daily driver duty.

At this point I'm thinking it would be best to get a nicely loaded F-150 supercrew so that I have a more comfortable truck that can be daily driven without the diesel problems, haul my family, and still do the work I need it to. This would also leave my options far more open when I start looking for a "toy."

Thoughts?

Old 03-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Chelle87
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am loving my F150 Screw for daily driving, running errands, picking up loads and hauling friends around. The gas mileage isn't great, but nothing to complain about considering I'm driving a full size truck.

I would definitely pick up a 150 and keep the 250 around for a couple of years and see how much you really need it. If you find that you don't need the extra power, you can get rid of it down the road.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Like I said, I haven't needed the F-250 even remotely. Hell, even the F-150 would be going to waste probably 90% of the time. I originally bought the F-250 because I never had a diesel truck before that plus I really wanted the Amarillo package. Now with 3 years of real world experience later driving a diesel almost every day I'm ready for a truck I don't have to babysit.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I sold my daily driver car a little over a year ago and started driving the truck. There are very few times I miss the car, like when trying to find a parking spot in Chicago. The truck makes an excellent daily driver, I really enjoy the better visibility in traffic and the truck just feels better when the weather is bad. Also dumping the car saves me a little money on insurance, plates, maintenance and time keeping up with the fleet. My previous truck had the Max Tow option and I kind of wish I would have gotten that again.

We have a small piece of farm land that we've been doing some work on. I installed a culvert myself over the course of 2 summers. I hauled 30 yards of rock one trip at a time. That included 1,000 feet off road in the dirt & I never had an issue.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:20 PM
eriebasin
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My truck is my daily driver. I love it except for parking. I, too, live in the city. I'm in a working-class urban neighborhood where i have to park on the street sometimes (when others are in my driveway). It's a bit difficult in the parking garages downtown too. But, I love everything else.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:47 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I do about 1200 miles a month with my F-150, best DD there is IMO!

This coming from a person who also daily drives (not as much now since i have the F-150) a V10 Excursion getting 8mpg since 2009.

I have no issues parking in garages or parallel in down town tight areas.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:28 PM
mrrish79
Senior User
I traded in my SUV two months ago on my F150 Platinum and it was the best decision. Having a super crew is so much more space and is perfect for my two kids one of which is in a car seat. I have a 97 F250HD Old Body Style that is my work truck. I say keep the diesel and snag a DD F150.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:07 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
My truck is my DD and our trip vehicle. Couldn't be happier except that I bought an Scab instead of the Screw. My kids are grown but I've needed the Screw more than I thought I would.

If I replaced my truck tomorrow, I'd buy the exact same drive train, axle ratio, trim level but make it an Screw.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I thought you settled on a Platinum a while back??

I daily drive my Limited about 30 miles a day round-trip, plus tooling around town on weekends for errands, etc. Couldn't be happier, but it's only marginally easier to park. I had a short bed crew cab F250 before, this one is only about a foot shorter with its 5.5' bed. Is yours a long bed crew cab? Those are definitely much harder to park. I had to drive crew cab long beds for work, so I know that pain. LOL

Old 03-23-2015, 07:44 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 441 Likes on 323 Posts
I have been daily driving an F150 Supercrew since 2011. It's a very good family vehicle, I have two carseats in the back of mine. I do park right downtown, so it's occasionally a bit unwieldy, but it's certainly manageable.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:27 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
I daily drive mine in the winter (bikes get used in spring, summer and fall). Outside of wishing the fuel mileage was a bit better (let's be honest... it's a truck) - couldn't ask for better ride quality and creature comforts out of a pickup for daily use.

Originally Posted by tseekins
....Couldn't be happier except that I bought an Scab instead of the Screw.
Same. Always end up toting people around. Next truck will be a S-crew on 145" WB.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:11 AM
taxgod4u
Senior User
I have both an FX4 Eco SC and an 01 F250 7.3 PSD CC and would not sell either, period. Both are chipped, 150 is used for daily driving in the greater bay area calif. The F150 Crew rear seat leg room is absolutely amazing, could sleep 2 adults, or 7 kids comfortably. Put a cap on the F150 and left the 250 open for hauling the 5th wheel, dirt bikes, firewood, etc.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
You didn't buy the F150 yet??? What are you waiting for? lol

The main reason I bought the F150 was for daily driving. I travel almost 30 miles one way to work, and there's no comparing it to when I had my 6.0

Old 03-23-2015, 02:12 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I'll add that my 7.3 was a fine daily driver and otherwise reliable workhorse. It is just that I bought it while I was in my 30s, and now that I'm in my 40s, I have come to appreciate the more modern conveniences and creature comforts in the newer trucks. Sure, I COULD'VE bought a newer SuperDuty, but I didn't need it, and I was highly impressed with the EcoBoost engine since I started following it in late 2010. The new Ford-designed Power-Stroke is also quite impressive, but like I said, I really have no need for a SuperDuty anymore, and truth be told, I took my 7.3 as far as I was ever going to take it with mods. So I guess it was also boredom. LOL

Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought my truck because we have a 4200 lb. boat to haul around (hopefully not too much longer) and we want to have a 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel in our future. I opted for the Platinum because it was going to be a daily driver and when you spend a lot of time driving your vehicle you want to be comfortable. It has all the bells and whistles and to me rides like the truck version of a cadillac.

It is quiet, super comfortable (especially for long drives!) gets decent gas milage for a 1/2 ton truck, and just looks great to me. I often find myself thinking how lucky I am to have it and how appealing the truck really is especially when that tuxedo black paint is clean!!

When we have to drive my wife's Infiniti G37 Convertible I am hating life because I am so used to being comfortable with lots of leg room and a great seat and it being quiet. My wife's car rattles and is not that comfortable. (I guess I have been spoiled by the truck!)

Sounds like you will need the super crew truck and honestly you have to ask yourself if you will be wanting a travel trailer down the road or not. If not you cannot go wrong with the 5.0L. I have the EGOboost but you will pay about 1300 more for that motor. I say you drive both and see which one you really like. The 6.2L in the F150 is an absolute beast and super throttle responsive. (sounds great too) The average milage is usually about 14 mpg with it although some have gotten a little better. You also would not need more than 3.55's. 4X4 is up to you...I wanted it in case I had to launch from an unpaved road and also some boat ramps are really slick so I didn't want to get stuck at the ramp.

If you are going to test drive them I would drive the 5.0L first followed by the 6.2 and the EGOboost last. You will know why I said that if you drive them back to back.

Happy hunting!

Quick Reply: Truck daily driver?