6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Got a new project

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:49 PM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
It's got a date at the body shop once it gets home. I guess it's gonna be still under the knife for two more weeks there. They are changing the color scheme. It's gonna get new carpet and upholstery too. We are replacing all the weatherstripping too. I know it looks"half done", but by the end of July,,, it's gonna be show quality. Not sure they want to make the new color scheme public,,, these are stolen everyday. Lol

Makes me happy to hear that! I know looks aren't everything but when you go that hard into the engine you have to have the body following suit!

Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jsm180
I've pulled engines apart with 5-10 hours on them and the bearings look just like they did when they were put in. I only use lubriplate if the engine is going to sit for a long time before test running but it is a good lube. If the engine is going to run right away I use 60wt Aeroshell.
I will call BS on this. I built engines for a few years and have had engines apart after having them run in on test stand for 30 minutes up to a few hours. The very top layer of coating on the bearings is easily removed. It is there to protect the underlying material. The bearings Anthony has in his videos look just fine! He can not hang a nail on thee marks or feel any blemish. I would also bet if you put it under a microscope there would be not even a nats willie of a blemish.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Super Duty Service
This is what we use

I understand replacing in pairs,,, and the wear that would be "expected",, but has anyone seen what bearings look like after actually running for an hour?? I haven't.
Lubriplate is awesome assembly lube! A dab will do you!

The galley plugs being left out has happened once in my engine building days. Once out of 1,000 engines.

I left out the 3 front galley plugs on a SB Chevy stroker dirt track engine. BB Chevy pump with a modified pressure spring. Still built 65 psi at WOT and dude was livid! He wanted 100 PSI plus at WOT for some reason. I missed it because I slide the cam into the block to get it out of my way. It was the 2nd of 3 engines we built for him. I had the crank/rods and pistons in it as a rotating assembly. Slide the cam in and bagged it. I didn't write a note reminding myself to put the galley plugs in before finishing it. It was an easy fix. Pulled the cover off of the 2 piece timing cover and turned the engine over and installed the screw in plugs through the holes on the cam gear.

Now from a machine shop managers perspective...This one falls on the assembler unless I was tasked with installing freeze plugs, cam bearings and galley plugs.

Crap happens Anthony!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm taking the hit for the plugs. I did send the block without cam bearings,, and without coolant plugs. I told them that I will do the coolant ones,, and cam bearings. There was a bunch of correspondence about the work. The new shop wanted more stuff than any other shop I've used. They wanted 4 injectors with hold downs to bolt in to pressure test (they were talking about the cups being blown out (35psi),, I entertained and sent some. Then they wanted an old Headgasket to bolt the torque plate before boring,, it also got line honed,, of course they wanted bearings,, but NOTHING was ever mentioned about the oil plugs. We got a bag of bent valves back,, but no plugs. It's in the history books now,, I'm pleased with the surfaces and quality tho. This one also got the bronze liners in the guides. First for me. Nobody else has been able to source them,, until now. But,, we are supposed to have a visitor late this week or early next week,,, from who you say,, (lol),, a Rottler sales rep. Its gonna be Bologna sandwiches for a while. Lol. I'm about done outsourcing. My original machinists are willing to come work under my roof. I got extremely spoiled when they were in business. Remember the head cutting videos I used to post,,, that was at their shop,, on Rottler equipment.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:42 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Here's another one

http://youtu.be/jD2I6vic-Sg

We still got issues tho. I'm uploading videos now. The issues do not involve opening the hood tho. Lol

Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
Here is the last one

http://youtu.be/jD2I6vic-Sg

See if it does the big picture link.

Here are the issues

http://youtu.be/65QtVnn5TvE

http://youtu.be/vmjNEOWI_tk

Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
So it sounds like you are going all in and starting a machine shop! I am jealous, because I love doing that work. But do not miss the drama and all the grease I can eat!

Plenty of used engine shop equipment floating around for cheap on the web.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:21 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Any updates to this?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:30 AM
Super Duty Service
Former Vendor
I We aren't looking for any ol equipment. I want at least the equivalent of a rottler f-65, sg8, hp6a, and a vr7.

As for updates,,, I've got about 270 miles on her sofar. The dual ac system is giving me fits. I was planning on a driving video then stop and do a walk around on the same video. I really want about 500 mi on it when I do it. I redid the ac system today. Sick of the 65* vent temp. Another new compressor, orifice, trx, accum, yanked the hvac boxes and cleaned the cores inside n out, and flushed the condenser and lines. I didn't pull the front evap core during the build!!! That was a STUUPID decision. It was nasty. I use ac systems by a company called Global. I keep the ac kits in stock do I just grabbed another one. The kits come with a compressor, accum, orifice, and oring kit. It's a package deal. And if it's installed by s shop,,, I'm pretty sure it's a lifetime parts warranty. I prob should advertise n sell them huh?? Since I opened the system,, I decided to clean it,, then if I'm cleaning it again,, might as well change the accum too. The temps weren't what I wanted and I have always said,, ac systems are the most "under repaired" systems. Not this one. Oh,, and my ac machine decided to shut off and not come back on. So it looks like I've gotta go shopping. THAT SUX!!!! Ac machines are xxxxpensive!!!

We also had to cut the dash to get the new kenwood dvd in. Gotta love the early dashes. All in all,, it's a sweet ride.

We also managed to get the cab up on the next truck in line today. We will sleep when we're dead huh??? Lol

Old 06-08-2015, 05:38 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Sleeping is Over rated Anthony , I know with a house full of Teenagers LOL can't wait for your next Vid , Oh by the way Nice up right creeper Sweet, saves the back .