1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Gibbons IFS

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:25 AM
JRMack
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gibbons IFS

Just wondering if anyone had the instructions for the install. I realize that this is kind of a out dated swap, but the k member is in the truck and i had all of the front suspension and brakes rebuilt with new parts when i first had the suspension (not having been driven i still consider them new) I have a 55 f100 that i started an install of the IFS in 04 but had to shelve the project for what i thought was going to be a little while...turns out it was going to be abit longer than planned. Anyway after having to move my project twice i can't seem to find the instructions included. The first time i had to literally throw the front end under the truck so that i could have a rolling chassis. I was wondering if anyone by chance had the instructions? Having 7 years elapse i want to go over all the instructions to make sure i did everything right, as i wasn't exactly known for following instructions back then. I have called the # on Gibbons website and have left a couple of messages but haven't heard anything back from them.
Also i have some concerns about my previous install. First when i had the back torsion bar mounts welding into the frame provided i had the truck un-weighted (no engine of tranny) Another post i found mentioned that the truck needed to have weight in it before welding the sockets. Do you think it will be ok? I have since put a 302/aod in the truck and i doesn't seem to have any binding problems. Also i noticed that the strut rod bushing isn't tightened all the way and i am out of thread to tighten it more, which concerns me. I am to the point now of wondering if i need to start over or start a different front end. Which is why i am looking for the instructions so that i can go through it step by step and make sure its safe and correct.
For one with this front end, what do you think of the ride you have with this IFS?
Are people who have done this swap satisfied with it compared to other IFS swap that can be made? Thank you in advance for letting me pick your brains!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 AM
54FordPanel
New User
Have you done a search? I did a simple search and got a bunch of results, including one guy from 7/10 who said he has 4 sets of instructions.
There are lots of Gibbons IFS threads on here.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM
JRMack
Senior User
Yes i did.... unfortunately i missed the one post that was from the end of last year. The other person i saw that mentioned he had them hadn't been active on the forums in quit a bit (since 05 i believe). But thanks for the heads up, i found the person you where referring to and sent them a PM.
One of the more important parts of my question was regarding the quality of the finished ride with this set up. Especially compared to all the jag, mII and dakota set ups that i was reading about. Something i have committed myself to this time around is doing a quality job with a modest budget. I'd like to think i have learned a few things (especially patients) in the last 6-7 years. Having a small family limits my budget, but on the up side i have a little 3 year old that thinks working with Daddy is the cats meow!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:19 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey, JR. I got your PM and yes, I've still got my instructions and notes. They're on my memory stick at work, though. I'll pass them on when (and if) I get in there tomorrow. If you haven't heard anything by tomorrow night, yank my chain again.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 AM
JRMack
Senior User
Awesome, thank you very much!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey, sorry about the wait. The snow has kept me hopping for the last couple days. I'm stuffing the instructions into an e-mail now. Keep in mind my instructions are for an F-1, but they should be real similar. I've also got some scans of a mag article where they installed this IFS into a '53-'56. I'll send that along, too. Good luck with it. If you run into anything, let me know and I'll help however I can.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 AM
2losteve
Senior User
Originally Posted by JRMack
For one with this front end, what do you think of the ride you have with this IFS?
Are people who have done this swap satisfied with it compared to other IFS swap that can be made? Thank you in advance for letting me pick your brains!
I had a friend who put that front end under his '56 and he was very happy with it. I rode in it many times and it was a very good ride - until he put a complete 'vette IRS under the rear, but that's another story.
I considered one for my build, but the main crossmember hung too low for me, as I wanted mine much lower than his. The other glitch is the steering box location, similar to a Volare.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have about 90K miles on mine. It was one of the very first units they shipped after seeing it in Truckin (?) in about 1989. I "finished" the truck in 1990.

They changed the kit at least once since mine. They did not get the geometry correct in the initial weld-up. The upper a arms have to be sitting fully at opposite ends of the long slot in order to get camber correct and get any caster at all. It still does not have enough caster and drives a lot more quirky that it should.

The Chrysler front ends seem to be hard to align correctly. Front tires BFG T/A's last about 20K. One usually wears hard on the inside and the other one on the outside.

I have blistered plastic power steering pumps and charred pressure lines and seals in the box from heat build up. Centering the box, cutting the spring in the pump and a cooler appears to have fixed it.

The location of the rear torsion bar bracket precludes any sort of standard power brake unit with the floor mounted brake setup. I ended up running a remote Midland vacuum booster.

I mounted the engine as far back as possible and low. The steering box sits right where the oil filter would be. I had to run the Econoline 90* filter adapter.

Your mileage may vary.

I will probably go back to a stock axle when I get parts and time.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 AM
JRMack
Senior User
Thank you all for taking the time to write your experiences with this IFS. After all the feed back i am pretty sure if i am going to go this route for now. We shall see, thus all the questions. Then down the road, save up and buy a custom engineered IFS. Ones that cost and arm and a leg. I have been reading and researching for the last week trying to figure out which way i should go, and i figure the Gibbons will do what i need until i can step up in to a Heidts or something like that. Everything thing else either feels like a step across-ed rather than up.This time around i am trying to put a lot of effort into really thinking things through and making the right decision. Not the easy, quick chooses...but the right ones. The older i get, the more particular i get about things. Its been kinda sticking in my craw the thought of having a Chrysler front end up under there. I'm really leaning towards keeping a ford a ford.