Sponsored by:

Steering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:52 PM
stefanpd@sbcglobal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Questions

I own a 1995 F150 4x4 that is lifted 4 inches and my steering is a bit questionable and old right now. I was wondering if anyone knew whether it would be better to replace all the Tie-Rods and such, or to get a whole new steering system. My second question is what is the best aftermarket steering setup out there for this truck?

Old 07-24-2003, 04:01 PM
BigFootnHawse
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Questions

I put the Superlift Superrunner steering system on my '96 Bronco w/ the 6" lift and it made driving a lot easier. You will still know it is a TTB, but after I installed it, I could easily keep it between the lines.

Old 07-24-2003, 04:04 PM
knucklehead11
Tuned
Steering Questions

When you lift it do you have to extend the steering rod thingy or whatever it's called from the wheel at the column to the rack and pinion (considering you're pulling the steering wheel away from the front axle) ?

Old 07-24-2003, 04:38 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steering Questions

No. You put a dropped pitman arm on the shaft that comes out of the steering box. I have the superlift superrunner steering also. However, you can only put the steering on superlift's lift kit. I however, got a skyjacker lift kit, and welded the special bracket on from the steering system. Go to superlift.com for information about the system.

Old 07-24-2003, 05:47 PM
bluezukiboy
Freshman User
Steering Questions

4 inch drop pittman arm and an absloute must the front end alignement aka caster has to be really close. You can do this at any good 4x4 alignement shop. Is it wondering, bump steer, pulling. I specialize in Ford FEA'S

Old 07-24-2003, 11:54 PM
stefanpd@sbcglobal
New User
Steering Questions

With the superrunner system, how hard is it to get it aligned and keep it that way?

Old 07-25-2003, 10:22 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Steering Questions

Same as any other system. All the superlift steering does is put an idler arm in, and keeps the tie rod angles in line. But it's a whole new kit, gives you new drag links and everything.

Old 07-25-2003, 11:20 AM
Blue96
Steering Questions

Mustang.
how come it has to be s superlift kit to use their steering system?
I've been thinking about gettin it myself.

Old 07-25-2003, 01:16 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Steering Questions

The driver's side axle drop bracket (the pivot that's on the passenger side) has the holes already drilled to accept the idler arm bracket. Also, they say the kit can only be used with their dropped pitman arm. Don't really know what's different about their pitman arm.

Old 07-25-2003, 10:14 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Steering Questions

Isn't anything special about the pitman arm, I'm using the skyjacker one because it came in the skyjacker kit (don't need to be buying two haha). I have the skyjacker axle pivot drop brackets and with a little creativity I got the superlift steering on it. I took a 1/4" piece of flat stock and welded it to the crossmember and the drop bracket. Then I welded the steering bracket onto the flat stock and mounted it up. Pretty simple. The skyjacker lift kit is much better than the superlift kit (i've had both) and I didn't want to get the superlift crap so I welded it on the skyjacker stuff.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=100828