1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:33 AM
PHVet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I know there is a member intro as soon as you sign up, however, I thought I'd come to the section I plan to spend my time in. I'll do my best to keep things short.

Name is Kiva, 25 years old, and a purple heart recipient out of the Marine Corps. Grew up loving cars and wrenching and looking to get into a new platform. Old trucks have always caught my eye on the ole google images and on the road so I figured, why not? Also, I need a project in my life because I see things going down a less... desirable?... road. This leads me here to get myself back into the garage for a little therapy.

I'll be the first to admit that this is a COMPLETELY new scene to me. However, I've been on many forums so I'll spare you seasoned ford-truck enthusiasts of all the "new-guy" threads asking questions that have been answered thousands of times and just see what I find over time. I've mainly been scrolling through the build threads.

Just to give you guys an idea of what I am coming from.. My past cars are a 2002 Audi TT, a big turbo 08 Subaru Sti, BMW 1 series, 2 C63 AMGs, an Audi RS4, and a 700awhp Porsche Turbo. I have also daily driven a Ford Edge which I have to admit I like a lot more than I thought I would originally. I currently still have a 2013 C63 AMG as well. So as you can see, completely different worlds. While I can't go out and buy literally anything, you can see I have a fair amount of flexibility when it comes to spending (staying single helps) and I aim to ditch the AMG to free up some cash.

Side note: I am looking for a reliable, quick, fun, "nice" daily driver which will replace the AMG. I'm realistic and not looking for a direct replacement, just something worth having up to $35k so if you have any ideas throw them my way.

As for where I am going, I have a line on a 1948 f1. (Bear with me, as mentioned I'm new and reading to learn but have seen f1 / f100 f2-6 etc) The truck is actually in great shape, just in torn down form but could be road ready with a few days work. I'll go ahead and end here and spare you the laundry list "dream" build I have put together with the help of googling the best and baddest *****, but I have definitely been inspired. Would just like to get on the road and cruise with my pitbulls listening to some good tunes in a classic truck.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you, bug others, and overall enjoy some good wrenching therapy I need in my life.

Cheers!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:58 AM
fladoodle
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If you were looking for a helpful, knowledgeable, friendly community to learn about and talk about these old trucks with, you found the best place for it! Personally, I am also a fan of the build threads, but I definitely try to find time to blab in other topics as well! I'm very glad you found a constructive, healthy form of therapy for yourself. I'm also glad you're stepping outside of that other circle of car enthusiasts. Oh, and we like pictures! It helps feed our addictions by allowing us to live vicariously through these images. Again, welcome to the forum. Oh, and don't forget pictures!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 AM
PHVet
New User
^

One thing that has been driving me crazy is on the other forums all these guys have been coming in and ruining the community. I get it, I'm only 25 as well, but guys my age who have "things" just feel they are entitled to bash anyone they want. So like the M/AMG/911/and RS boards are becoming littered with these guys. From what I've seen here people are... people. So I look forward to it.

As mentioned, you guys like pictures. Not sure if the person who's truck I am interested in is on these boards. Maybe you'll guys know this truck? Maybe not. But here are two pictures of it. Prime state and current torn down.

As mentioned, I've been told the truck is only a couple days work from being back on the road. Hopefully this week I get the C63 listed at the dealer and start making moves towards getting the truck. As long as the C63 sells and I don't get destroyed on the negative equity I should be okay.

As for the truck, I'm not a fan of the color. In the sun it is very sparkly and just not my cup of tea. The interior (no shots of that, sorry), is also tan which I would like to convert to black. If it all works out and I get the truck, I'm going to tear it down, give the frame any attention it may need (probably none) and then go back up with new nuts/bolts and all. I'm also going for a look similar to that Rick Design 48 I'm sure many are familiar with.

Thanks for the welcome.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:14 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome home Kiva, and B4 I say anything else I'd like to thank you for your service to our country. Ok don't worry about not having past experience with these old Fords, when I got my F1 I had no, I mean no experience with anything but a few Harleys. This site is a very friendly place with folks that don't mind answering questions, that you cant seem to find the answer to. I'm sure you'll find the right truck for you, and when you do, I look forward to watching as you make it "your truck". I have come to think of many FTE members as friends , even though I've never met any of them. Personally I have found working on my truck very enjoyable and therapeutic and hope you will enjoy the journey as much as I have. EDIT Sorry I was slow in writing this response and hadn't seen your truck yet, its beautiful.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 AM
PHVet
New User
^ Thank you.

Not quite mine, yet... Making sure things are as the seller says. We seem to be coming from a similar boat in terms of the knowledge of old trucks. I was literally shooting the **** at the dealership where I got my c63 worked on and they asked if I went old school what would I get. I said I'd like to build an old ford truck and the guy said he'd sell me his. Just lost his passion for it and wants to free up cash for other projects he has.

So we'll see how the stars line up on this one. The best thing in the world is the internet and how much information is out there. For quite literally anything I can just google or youtube a how-to and learn which is awesome, and I like to learn.

As for forum community, I have more friends on forums than in person. I don't get along with my peers simply because I share nothing with them. Just picture a broken combat veteran in a college classroom filled with 18-19 year olds and that's me. So I see myself having plenty of time to work on the truck.

Thanks again for the welcome

Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to FTE, I was gonna say that for me the chop top and the glass front end is not my cup of tea...and I personally had no idea who Rick Design is. So of course I goggled him and see what you mean, this truck could easily be made to look like his.
Again, it's all personal taste (please don't take this the wrong way) but for me it would be taking a truck I'm not crazy about and making it worse. But then even my 43 yr old son would rather have that than my old stake truck.
But that is what makes this such a great site, it doesn't matter if we have the same 'taste', we all love these old Ford trucks and support each others addiction!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:40 AM
PHVet
New User
^ Haha, thanks. And no worries, I'm not afraid to post my tastes here because it seems friendly enough. God forbid you have a different taste than the forum god on other boards though...

Obviously not everyone has the same taste, but at least you wont get attacked for it here. For example, coming into it I figured there'd be bundles of those who prefer to restore to original specs and look like it just rolled off the floor in 48. Then others who want to modernize the truck and put the own touch on it.

Thanks for the welcome

Old 03-16-2015, 01:58 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Hey there PHVet, and Welcome to the Forums!

Thank you for your service.

You chose a great place to learn about old Fords.
I personally spend most of my time in the 1967
to 1972 Ford truck area, but like to look around
every once in a while. The photos of the truck you
showed us look very nice. I personally am a fan
of originality, but resto-mods that are done
correctly do look very nice. Purchasing a truck
that is already complete saves you a lot of time
and work, but being able to customize a vehicle
to your desire is always nice. (Plus, you
cannot beat the feeling of accomplishment.)

Either way, I do not think you can make a wrong
decision purchasing an old Ford. I can't even tell
you how many times I've had genuine help from
experienced users on here that has saved me
time and money on numerous occasions. I do my
best to help others in return, but most of what I
know is 1967-1972 knowledge.

Do not let your lack of wrenching skills or age
hold you back. I am currently only 18 and still
in college, and was fairly unexperienced when
I purchased my 1967 F100 4x4. If it weren't
for these forums, I probably would have given
up on my project long ago, and I am appreciative
of the help Ive gotten on here every day for
encouraging me to keep going. I have even had
situations where some local old timers (experts)
stopped by to give me a hand when I was in
a tough situation. That is a type of commitment
you don't find anywhere else.

Sorry for ranting on so long, just letting you
know you joined the best old Ford truck
community on the internet.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me
and I will do my best to help you out.

See you around,

Mister_King

Old 03-16-2015, 02:06 AM
PHVet
New User
^Thanks buddy. Not worried about my wrenching abilities. I tore down and built my Sti from the bottom up. My step brother is also a bit of a gear head and worked as a mechanic for quite a while. We have a nice setup of tools (compressors, welder, and $x,xxx in snap ons). I'm just new to the older vehicle scene.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and don't be surprised if I end up picking your brain. The truck I am to get (or even if that falls through something similar) isn't going to be a project I need to literally do everything on. I like the idea of having something that is currently road worth or close to it then making it "mine." I'm not a big fan of rust haha.

Thanks again

Old 03-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Mister_King
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PHVet
^Thanks buddy. Not worried about my wrenching abilities. I tore down and built my Sti from the bottom up. My step brother is also a bit of a gear head and worked as a mechanic for quite a while. We have a nice setup of tools (compressors, welder, and $x,xxx in snap ons). I'm just new to the older vehicle scene.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and don't be surprised if I end up picking your brain. The truck I am to get (or even if that falls through something similar) isn't going to be a project I need to literally do everything on. I like the idea of having something that is currently road worth or close to it then making it "mine." I'm not a big fan of rust haha.

Thanks again
Completely understood.

Purchasing an already completed project
is always a smart choice if you can come
up with the money up front. Not only
does it save you time and a lot of work,
but it saves you a ton of money as well.
Many people sink well over $50,000 into
the car of there dreams and end up having
to sell it for less than $20,000. It's sad but
it's true. Unless you cut corners and complete
every single task on your own, there is
little to no money in making resto-mods.

Any specific year / make / model / engine
you are looking for in a truck?

I wish you luck with your purchase, and if
you ever make a build thread for your
future vehicle, I will be sure to follow it.

Mister_King

Old 03-16-2015, 02:24 AM
PHVet
New User
^ Right now I'm not concerned too much about the engine and tranny as long as they are fully functional and get me down the road. I'd be lying if I told you I haven't google crate motors yet. I really am not sure which way I'd go with it to be honest.

I dumped $50 into my Sti and got $20 out of it... Ouch. However, I feel like a truck like this done properly won't suffer the same fate. I'm not going into this looking to flip the truck though and would really like to hang onto it for a long time a build some memories in it for myself with my dogs and such.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:24 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Again a warm welcome.

And a big thank you for your service.
Personally, I have found that buying a roadworthy vehicle - even though more $$ -gets you to be able to drive it and enjoy it faster.
Where in NY (I'm N of Ithaca) and feel free to join the NY Chapter and join in the chat session.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:56 AM
christurney77
Elder User
Hello Kiva!

Here is what you need to look for:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15169549

A finished truck like this sounds just like what your looking for!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:29 PM
PHVet
New User
Originally Posted by GLR
Again a warm welcome.

And a big thank you for your service.
Personally, I have found that buying a roadworthy vehicle - even though more $$ -gets you to be able to drive it and enjoy it faster.
Where in NY (I'm N of Ithaca) and feel free to join the NY Chapter and join in the chat session.
Thank you. I'm up in Rochester NY. Originally from just outside Lake Placid in Saranac Lake.

Originally Posted by christurney77
Hello Kiva!

Here is what you need to look for:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15169549

A finished truck like this sounds just like what your looking for!
Thanks for the link!

Old 03-16-2015, 12:35 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Our Chapter Leader, Neil AKA tiny1 is E of you near Palmyra.

Might be of interest:
http://www.gonecruisincarclub.com/

Quick Reply: New member