Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011-2014 F-150 trim levels - what's right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 01:37 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problem is that the package defines the loads printed on the sticker. Even if you change the wheels/tires, LEGALLY, you have to abide by the door sticker. You can add springs, upgrade brakes, tires/wheels, etc, but you'd still be in trouble if you have an accident pulling "overloaded". Keep that in mind.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:42 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Problem is that the package defines the loads printed on the sticker. Even if you change the wheels/tires, LEGALLY, you have to abide by the door sticker. You can add springs, upgrade brakes, tires/wheels, etc, but you'd still be in trouble if you have an accident pulling "overloaded". Keep that in mind.
Oh yea, I completely understand that. I'm just trying to figure out what's forcing the lower tow rating. I'm guessing it's only because of the 22" wheels and tires that the Limited and Harley come with. The Max Tow Platinums I've seen still use the 20" wheels the Platinum comes with.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:33 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
So, I think I may have already found my truck. 2011 Platinum, 3.5 Ecoboost, 157" wheelbase, 4x4, 3.73 LSD, Moonroof, Nav, Max Tow, Skid Plates, Tail Gate Step, White Tri-Coat Metallic, and gray interior. The Limited would have the headlights, tail lights, grille, front bumper, wheels, mirror caps, and interior trim I want and has the AWD option, but the Platinum has all the mechanical features that would be better. Basically with those options the Platinum is spec'd to the point of Limited and it's only cosmectics that the Limited has over it. One thing the Platinum does have though is the tailgate trim applique and the Limited doesn't and the Platinum has 4H and 4L whereas the Limited only has AWD and 4H.

It seems like the Platinum would be the more useful truck, but the Limited would be the cooler looking truck. If it's just cosmetics I can always change those easily...

Old 02-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
So, I think I may have already found my truck. 2011 Platinum, 3.5 Ecoboost, 157" wheelbase, 4x4, 3.73 LSD, Moonroof, Nav, Max Tow, Skid Plates, Tail Gate Step, White Tri-Coat Metallic, and gray interior. The Limited would have the headlights, tail lights, grille, front bumper, wheels, mirror caps, and interior trim I want and has the AWD option, but the Platinum has all the mechanical features that would be better. Basically with those options the Platinum is spec'd to the point of Limited and it's only cosmectics that the Limited has over it. One thing the Platinum does have though is the tailgate trim applique and the Limited doesn't and the Platinum has 4H and 4L whereas the Limited only has AWD and 4H.

It seems like the Platinum would be the more useful truck, but the Limited would be the cooler looking truck. If it's just cosmetics I can always change those easily...
How much weight are you expecting to tow, and will you have the need for pulling a 5th wheel? Those are the important questions, IMHO. You can't have the short bed and pull a 5th wheel. If you are wanting to pull more than 7300 lbs, then the Limited is out. Limited only comes with a short bed and with its 22" wheels, the max weight is reduced anyway. Maybe the older ones are different, but I know these are the facts for my year. If it's the same for the older years, and you can live with not pulling a 5'er, and only being able to pull 7300 lbs, then the Limited is still an option... Hope this helps- I know it's confusing. LOL

Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
How much weight are you expecting to tow, and will you have the need for pulling a 5th wheel? Those are the important questions, IMHO. You can't have the short bed and pull a 5th wheel. If you are wanting to pull more than 7300 lbs, then the Limited is out. Limited only comes with a short bed and with its 22" wheels, the max weight is reduced anyway. Maybe the older ones are different, but I know these are the facts for my year. If it's the same for the older years, and you can live with not pulling a 5'er, and only being able to pull 7300 lbs, then the Limited is still an option... Hope this helps- I know it's confusing. LOL
My problem is that I currently have an 06 F-250 that can tow basically whatever I want to throw at it. I don't really want to give up all of the capacity of the F-250 when going down to an F-150. I'm not planning on needing the 5th wheel, but I would hate to give up the 6.5' bed from the F-250. I feel that a Max Tow long bed Platinum would give me the luxury I want but still give me 75% of the capacity of the F-250. Also, I figure a decent sized car on a car trailer is going to be nearly 7300 lbs. and that won't work well for me. Like I said, it might be a better idea to just get the Platinum and get the things to make it look like a Limited minus the wheels and tires. This way I would get the best of both worlds.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Old 02-27-2015, 08:20 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Definitely no on the Lariat, it has tan interior. I need to compare the 11-12 to the 13-14 and see if there's anything in the "facelift" that I'd like. I'm honestly leaning towards the Ecoboost though at this point.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Going to be doing some comparing on the order guides tonight. All I know at this point is that it's going to be a 2011-2014, White Tri-Coat Metallic, 4x4, and a Supercrew and no tan interior. This narrows it to a Lariat, Platinum, Limited, Lariat Limited, or Harley. I'm going to rule out the Harley because I don't own a Harley bike and never will. Most likely going to rule out the Lariat as well since I would prefer a more luxury truck. I am also leaning towards going with the Ecoboost over the 6.2, no 5.0.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Yeah, check on the older ones -- I know you can't get the newer Limited version with a long bed. And I believe they only come with the EcoBoost as well now. BTW, what is the "Lariat Limited"? While I'm no expert, I thought the Limited was a separate package from a Lariat. Maybe I'll learn something as well.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Yeah, check on the older ones -- I know you can't get the newer Limited version with a long bed. And I believe they only come with the EcoBoost as well now. BTW, what is the "Lariat Limited"? While I'm no expert, I thought the Limited was a separate package from a Lariat. Maybe I'll learn something as well.
No Limited comes in a 6.5' bed, only 5.5'. I'm not stuck on the long bed, but it would be nice since my F-250 has the 6.5' bed and I find it's the right size. The 2013 and 2014 Limited were Ecoboost only. The Lariat Limited was a special edition made in 2011 that was all whited out with white wheels and black accents. Essentially it was a white Harley truck.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Yeah the '11 Limiteds (only 3700 produced) were called a Lariat Limited. Unlike the later 13/14 "Limiteds" which dropped the name.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
2011 - 2014
Ecoboost or 6.2 (no 3.7 or 5.0)
4x4 Supercrew
White Tri-Coat Metallic
Lariat, Platinum, Limited, Lariat Limited (no Harley, not a Harley guy, no King Ranch because of tan interior)

So, it seems now I just need to narrow it down to box size. If I want a 6.5' bed that throws the Limited out as they only came in short bed. I am thinking of going with the 6.5' bed because it would be more usable for 4x8 sheets of stuff. Things will be overhanging with the 5.5' bed. Also, I'm thinking I want the Max Tow package so that I can retain most of the towing and payload capacity my F-250 has but be able to move down to an F-150. This would also move me to the Lariat or Platinum. I just feel the 7300 lb. tow limit and 1200 lb. payload limit is fairly low for my uses. Also, from what I can tell you can spec a Platinum to the same exact standards as a Limited minus the AWD and the aesthetic stuff. I'm leaning more towards the Ecoboost at this point too since it makes max torque quicker and can easily be modded for a good amount more power.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
2011 - 2014
Ecoboost or 6.2 (no 3.7 or 5.0)
4x4 Supercrew
White Tri-Coat Metallic
Lariat, Platinum, Limited, Lariat Limited (no Harley, not a Harley guy, no King Ranch because of tan interior)

So, it seems now I just need to narrow it down to box size. If I want a 6.5' bed that throws the Limited out as they only came in short bed. I am thinking of going with the 6.5' bed because it would be more usable for 4x8 sheets of stuff. Things will be overhanging with the 5.5' bed. Also, I'm thinking I want the Max Tow package so that I can retain most of the towing and payload capacity my F-250 has but be able to move down to an F-150. This would also move me to the Lariat or Platinum. I just feel the 7300 lb. tow limit and 1200 lb. payload limit is fairly low for my uses. Also, from what I can tell you can spec a Platinum to the same exact standards as a Limited minus the AWD and the aesthetic stuff. I'm leaning more towards the Ecoboost at this point too since it makes max torque quicker and can easily be modded for a good amount more power.
Yep -- sounds the Lariat or Platinum is what you want. I was actually looking for those when this Limited landed at the dealership, and I don't need any heavy tow option, so that's what I ended up with.

The Whited-out Lariat Limited is a hot truck!! I'll have to keep a lookout to see one in person.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:29 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
So, with the XL, XLT, FX2/FX4, Tremor, and Raptor ruled out because of no White Tri-Coat Metallic paint, the King Ranch ruled out because of the tan interior, and Harley ruled out because I'm not a Harley person I can also rule out the Lariat because I also would like the flow-through console, power running boards, and the heated rear seats. That leaves me with the Platinum, Limited, or Lariat Limited.

I just need to decide just how much tow capacity I need since the Limiteds are limited to 7300 lbs. 6.5' box, Max Tow Platinums are slightly difficult t find. Also, I still can't decide on the 6.2 or the 3.5.

Quick Reply: 2011-2014 F-150 trim levels - what's right for me?