Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Help! Clutch failing

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:13 PM
CaptainFacePunch
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Clutch failing

Hey guys. When i first got my truck from the previous owner, my dad played around and told me the clutch slipped. (1994 f250 idi turbo, manual)
I paid no mind, it felt fine to me and it has been driven for a year now. About a week ago, my clutch pedal suddenly started feeling very stiff on the bottom half of the stroke, and the clutch was suddenly noticably slipping. It was still driveable, so i tried to ignore it.
Now, again, seemingly all of the sudden, the clutch started slipping so horribly that i can hardly go up long hills in any gear above two. I can step on the gas and the rpms fly, but with no result.

Obviously my clutch is slipping, but is there something in the linkage that is falling apart to cause these sudden changes?
I feel like if it were the actual clutch, the issues would not be so sudden.

This issue is turning somewhat urgent, please any insight?!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:49 AM
stonemaster
Freshman User
I really dont think its the linkage, sounds totally like clutch issue, do you smell anything ????
adjustments????

Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
These are hydraulic clutches, there is no linkage nor adjustments. Your clutch is gone, not a big deal, replacements are available everywhere.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 AM
dropitlow88
Senior User
the quill tube (that the TO rides on) could also be scored causing the clutch to hang up and not fully engage. Usually a bad clutch in my experience will not get more difficult to press down. Could explain the sudden loss of engagement as well.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
As mentioned, stiff clutch can be caused by the quill. When I bought my 88 a few years back, the pedal was stiff as hell. Had to almost stand on it, thats how bad it was. When I had similar problems and did the clutch, the quill was all covered with stiff old grease. After cleaning it up and lubing everything it was much better.

The slipping you're seeing may be the clutch , or the dual-mass flywheel (DMF). There is an internal clutch in the DMF that is supposed to protect something in the driveline and slip if there is too much torque passing through. Problem is that once it slips, its prone to slip again. My truck had the same symptoms, slipping when going uphill. Bad news is that DMF's are expensive. Good news is that a single mass conversion is a lot cheaper and works better anyways.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:31 PM
stonemaster
Freshman User
we did the single mass conversion, works great
I thought later models (mine's an 87 and doesnt) had clutch adjustment capacity ?

Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM
CaptainFacePunch
Freshman User
If it were just the clutch itself, would that be likely to cause the very sudden drastic change which i have experienced, as well as the actual pedal feeling different?

What are the odds somebody could explain to me (total beginner) how one can check this quill tube??

Old 02-21-2015, 12:17 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
I'm pretty sure your only option here is to drop the tranny and see what you find.

If the clutch is slipping, it could be shedding more dust than normal and causing the throw out bearing to hang up more on the quill.
If you don't have the skills to change out a clutch, limp it to your favorite mechanic while you can before you end up having to pay for an expensive tow.

If you have a decent set of tools and the ambition to learn, we can help you through. Just be warned these are good sized transmissions, and if its 4x4, you have the transfer case to deal with as well.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:11 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Luk smf is the best option. Need to verify that it has the factory turbo balance, as it is different than the 7.3 NA. Our 08 dodge ate the clutch, once it would get hot you couldnt press the clutch in to save your life. Maybe you didnt notice it slipping until it got hot? (they slip worse the hotter they get). I would also suggest replacing the hydraulics while in there. for $200 and a little change you can get a very nice looking piece from O'Rielllys. Iron master / slave instead of plastic, comes pre-bled. "Power-torque" brand. We have this in our 97 with smf, very good results.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:48 AM
CaptainFacePunch
Freshman User
Sorry, but how do you mean when they get hot??

Also, just planning ahead in case i end up needing to replace the whole clutch, why are some results 100 bucks and others are over 600? Just that much variety, or am i looking at different products and not realizing?
Thanks again guys

Old 02-22-2015, 01:47 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Standard clutch kit will be alot cheaper than a clutch and flywheel combo. You will likely need the whole "smf kit" Should run like you say, just over 600, in the future you will only have to buy the clutch.

When the clutch gets hot from slipping, weird stuff can and usually does happen.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:14 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Luk smf is the best option.
x2

Even after replacing cleaning and greasing the quill, and a new DMF, the pedal on my '88 still took considerable force and basically just sucked in stop and go traffic. Some days I'd be limping after driving it was so bad.
When the DMF(OEM new!) started spitting out springs, I bought a Luk SMF kit. Best money I've ever spent on that truck! Pedal feels like driving a car, easy to push, grabs smoothly.

My new truck looks to also have a SMF kit, but I think the PO said it was a southbend (I may have found the receipt, but can't remember). It feels just the the stock DMF and I hate it just like I hated the stock clutch in the '88. Even though there is nothing wrong with the clutch, I may end up swapping it just so its more comfortable to drive. Although I'm really looking to swap in a ZF 6 speed if I can find an affordable one close by.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just put in a new clutch on my 97 F350 with the 7.3 IDI. clutch city online had the Luk flywheel and clutch kit for $495 delivered.

Easy enough to install if you are handy

Old 02-23-2015, 01:59 PM
CaptainFacePunch
Freshman User
Ok thats helpful. I found what you are talking about.

What is the reason i need to buy another flywheel??

Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM
stonemaster
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CaptainFacePunch
Ok thats helpful. I found what you are talking about.

What is the reason i need to buy another flywheel??
because as long as you're in this ,go ahead and change to SMF its the smart move

Quick Reply: Help! Clutch failing