Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Don't do the doo

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:58 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetmw
...LEAVING THE KEYS IN THE IGNITION, IGNITION ON....
That one was worthy of sharing the top of the list, so I edited the post.

Great stuff guys! Keep it coming!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:34 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetmw
Wow, I could spend hours on this. In a nutshell. The STFT maintains everything as close to 0% as possible. The LTFT learns from the STFT. Both are logged by the ECM.

Either a rich/lean bank condition affects the 02 Sensors input to the ECM or vice-versa (Bad 02) causing the opposite effect by commanding the injectors pulse with for that bank. Then there is up-steam and down-stream systems, Wide / Narrow Open / Closed Loop, band systems, and older generations such as the 1980's GM's and such.

There is a guy on you tube named scanner danner. He explains it pretty well. I bought his book because of his graphics, primarily of the Scope Snap-Shots so I could use them teaching.

I've communicated with him several times and he is a teacher at a Tech School and does his own business like I do contracting with Dealerships and Shops In the Area. Great Guy!

Thanks!!! I'll be spending some time over there for sure!

Old 02-16-2015, 09:02 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't start a job without planning ahead. Think of all the little jobs the big job may encompass, and you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Don't forget to clean whatever it is you're working on. While it's out, and everything that comes out with it is out, take the time to thoroughly clean it and inspect it before it goes back in.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:28 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't forget to disconnect the GPR before cycling the ignition many times to test the installation of a stereo, door lock actuators, gauges, etc. Glow plugs kill the batteries if you ignore this advice.

If you park your truck for a month between drives, don't forget to install a maintenance charger on the batteries and plug in the truck 24x7

Old 02-16-2015, 04:02 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Unfortunately I have a couple to add:
Don't replace the rear o-ring on the HPOP without using the recommended C clamp.

If you wonder how much crud has accumulated in your heater core and you remove the access cover, don't accidentally puncture a hole in the heater core when reinstalling the screws into the cover

Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
When you know something is wrong with your truck and ambition (or lack thereof) is the only thing in the way of resolving the problem, don't permit procrastination to be your passenger. An intermittent problem can go permanent in an intersection. Right, Pop?

Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
When you know something is wrong with your truck and ambition (or lack thereof) is the only thing in the way of resolving the problem, don't permit procrastination to be your passenger. An intermittent problem can go permanent in an intersection. Right, Pop?
Rich I think as far as "Don't Do List" procrastination should be near the top of the list after blocking wheels.
It is a hard pill for me to swallow since I am so good at procrastinating.
I would be a member of NPS (National Procrastination Society) but I keep putting it off.

I must have missed something about PoP ???

Old 02-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I would be a member of NPS (National Procrastination Society) but I keep putting it off.

I am right behind you brother!

Old 02-18-2015, 12:44 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
...I would be a member of NPS (National Procrastination Society) but I keep putting it off...

I must have missed something about PoP ???
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
I am right behind you brother!
Who do you think formed the NPS? It took years, but I finally asked somebody to do it for me.

SpringerPop had intermittent stalling problems for months, and he waited until he was permanently stalled in an intersection to take the CPS out of his glove box and put a wrench to it. It could have been any one of us, so I shalt not cast stones frometh my glass hut.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Let me just add on to the PCM one, don't install or remove a tuner or chip with the keys in the ignition. You will fry your PCM. Throw those keys as far as you can away from the truck.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:15 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Oh yea'. Yup! Amen. Right-ON!

Guilty as charged! See:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...aves-nine.html

Pop

Old 02-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
Let me just add on to the PCM one, don't install or remove a tuner or chip with the keys in the ignition. You will fry your PCM. Throw those keys as far as you can away from the truck.
I forgot that one... now edited.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:31 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who do you think formed the NPS? It took years, but I finally asked somebody to do it for me.

SpringerPop had intermittent stalling problems for months, and he waited until he was permanently stalled in an intersection to take the CPS out of his glove box and put a wrench to it. It could have been any one of us, so I shalt not cast stones frometh my glass hut.
Rich I should have known you were somehow behind forming NPS ! LOL I would ask for the set of rules & guidelines of NPS but I am sure you haven't gotten around to it.
But all kidding aside it does make me feel better knowing I am not alone on the whole procrastinating thing.

I think Pop's story should be something we all learn from at least realize that could have been or will be one of us dead in the middle of the road.
Pop I hope that cut on your head doesn't leave a scar because that could be the end of your modeling career !

Old 02-19-2015, 11:26 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
DO NOT put off checking the little air tube for the rear-end, because something is building a home in it right now to clog it and blow out ALL you seals!

Have a GREAT day!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:17 PM
sgarder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get pissed off at your truck for slapping you in the back of the head reminding you AGAIN that you are a member of the NPS club and it wants new hood struts! And don't retaliate by pushing the hood open harder and further. When you close the hood the FIRST thing through your mind is Tugly's Don't do the doo thread It tends to alter the hood and fender body line. A block of wood and down pressure and the body line is good again, starting to shop for struts!! Well maybe when I get caught up reading on the threads.

Quick Reply: Don't do the doo