belt squeal - out of ideas... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion SPONSORED BY:

belt squeal - out of ideas...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 AM
New User

chadlyt is starting off with a positive reputation.
belt squeal - out of ideas...

hey guys, been lurking for a few months, but new to posting here...

i have a 00 limited with 130K 4x4 miles on it.

problem: under load when cold, i get a high pitch squeal around 4000rpms. once warm, no squeal other than a faint rattlesnake type sound under load or going up a hill.

what i have done: replaced pully, tensioner, alternator and belt.

I still get the noise, and i cant really figure out how to troubleshoot where its coming from now. there are only a few other area where i could thing, water pump bearing and a/c bearing.

Any other ideas of what i can do to troubleshoot? or maybe i'm not in the right area at all?
Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 PM
Senior User

Lance Helmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Lance Helmert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Clean all pulleys with brake cleaner and a wire brush. If they were oily, you might need another new belt. Everything is turning harder when it's cold, the alternator is working hard after some parasitic draw overnight and starting in the morning, and the fan pulls harder the faster it's turned. Sometimes you get a bad belt, maybe your parts store will take it back and exchange it. Take the belt off and spin everything by hand, listen and feel for bad bearings.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:41 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I would double check the pulley alignment also. A straight edge is helpful for that.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Elder User

truck7575 has a good reputation on FTE.truck7575 has a good reputation on FTE.
truck7575 ricky booby 75
use some belt conditioner.. it comes in a can and works great to stop squealing, although what is 4000 rpms... mine lives between 1500 and 2500... u must be one of those gas guys.:-)
320K miles;X/B mod,stage 1 Swamps;T500 HPOP;WW2;TurboMaster;Banks intake Monster exhaust power elbow and billet torque converter;AFE Blade;35x12.50x20 toyo OC M/T's;20x10 mazzi hulks;Snow water/meth kit;dieselsite coolant filter, Transfiltration, Boost relief valve+;Intnl bellowed uppipes; riffraff plenum inserts, Hpx, Frx,Boots;AIH delete;203tstat; billet tstat housing; driven banjo bolts,DPF6;Hellwig;Delo ELC,Hutch MOD, Harpoon MOD, Oil Bypass Filter
Old 02-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Postmaster

Bently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant futureBently_Coop has a brilliant future
How is the idler pulley? If you feel or here any crunching when spinning a pulley they are bad. What kind of belt did you use and what engine? Assuming 5.4 or 6.8 V10.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:56 PM
New User

crazy that I didnt even write it in the post before... it is a v-10. for some reason i thought all limiteds were v-10.

i only get up to 4000 rpms when accelerating. mine lives at 2100rpm unless its under load, which is only when it squeals.

I've replaced the tensioner and pulley, are there more than one of each?

the noise hasnt changed a bit even after replacing all those parts. I'll try a few of those things and get back to you.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 PM
Senior User

sccamper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Have you removed the belt and try to duplicate the noise? If the noise is gone without the belt but comes back when you put the belt back on, that confirms it is something running off the belt.

Look at the belt alignment at the ps pump. The pulley may need to be repositioned.

Also look at the edges of the belt for shinny spots that can indicated a rub.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Elder User

truck7575 has a good reputation on FTE.truck7575 has a good reputation on FTE.
truck7575 ricky booby 75
When I did my harmonic balancer you had to press on the new balancer so that it kept the belt in lign... If you pushed it on too far it would tweak the belt a little and Same if not enough... I think he is on the something with belt alignment.. If the pulleys have all been replaced then I'd go that route
Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Senior User

howler4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.howler4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
4,000 RPM cold?
2001 Excursion Limited V-10 4x4 Scan Gauge II, Odyssey II brake controller, Curt WD Hitch, Monroe Reflex, Energy poly front bumpstops, KYB steering stabilizer, AFE dry air filter, 265/75-16 Goodyear Wranglers, Thule Hullivator, rear Hellwig anti-sway, MM 449SS hubs
'48 ****** / '77 Scout Hybrid http://liorclub.org/Members/bob.htm
Proud Member of Team 53449 - FTE's for Cancer Research http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/56...ding-home.html
Old 02-13-2015, 04:21 AM
Senior User

GermanMike is a splendid one to beholdGermanMike is a splendid one to beholdGermanMike is a splendid one to beholdGermanMike is a splendid one to beholdGermanMike is a splendid one to beholdGermanMike is a splendid one to beholdGermanMike is a splendid one to beholdGermanMike is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by howler4x4 View Post
4,000 RPM cold?
Besides this (WTF?) I thought about a similar sound that I had and could not
verify it. It was an exhaust blowoff due some leaks at the headers.
I tighten all bolts and add 2 missing ones and voila it never pop on again.
Maybe you check this before you throw some more money on it.
4x4, V10 Wedgewood Met.,Y-Pipe,Stainless Headers, Custom Catback,K&N CAI,33"x16" OEM,Blacked Out Taillights,NFab Nerfbars,HeadUp Display, 24"/23"/18"Wiper Mod,Increased 2nd row Legroom,Fumoto Valve,EBC Dimpled/Slotted w. Yellow St. F/R,SS-Teflon Brake Lines 6"Lift(ProComp/Bilstein5100), WIY HeadacheRack
Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 AM
Frequent Fueler

05MilMachine has a great reputation on FTE.05MilMachine has a great reputation on FTE.05MilMachine has a great reputation on FTE.05MilMachine has a great reputation on FTE.05MilMachine has a great reputation on FTE.
I have seen a bad clutch fan grab harder when cold. Those put a heck of a load on the engine. Do you notice if your fan is trying to go 4000 rpm with the engine when that's happening?
And a whole bunch of other beaters...
Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
New User

ok, i finally have an update on this.

I had the right side exhaust header bolts taken out. 8 of 10 were fine...2 were broken in the head. with that fixed, the "belt squeal" is now gone...which is funny because i took it into the shop to fix the "rattlesnake" noise fixed.

But the rattlesnake noise still exists and I am thinking it is more from the exhaust underneath, maybe from the cat converter? sounds like a baby rattle under some load sometimes , and doesnt make a noise at idle.
Old Today, 08:58 AM
Elder User

carbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud ofcarbon coupe has much to be proud of
@cbncoupe
Remove the cats and/or the heat shields. Lay under and bang on things to see if something rattles.

2001 PSD 4x4 Limited EX: 6637, IAH delete, FRx, HPX, LED interor lamps, CCV mod, MM hubs, SD diff cover, Bilsteins, Bighead, 4" MBRP, Coolant filter, 6.0L Trans cooler, 2011 tow mirrors, 2012 running boards, Banks Sport tune
Old Today, 09:01 AM
New User

thanks, i was just searching the site and came across laying under it and pounding with a rubber mallet. i'll report back.

still amazed that squeal was from the exhaust.
Old Today, 09:01 AM