Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Potential new chapter leader and/or stand in until one is found

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Potential new chapter leader and/or stand in until one is found

I have been approached as a possible Chap Lead, and I have some experience with it both good and bad.
~HOWSOMEDANGEVER...

I worry that I would be back in the position I was once before where I was unable (at least for the near future) to get out to any meets because I am STILL standing up a set of wheels, and when I do get the new ride running, and registrated it ain't gonna be a truck, and it isn't even a ford - though I do have two ford truck projects going and viable, one of them completely and totally hog wild (the '89 Ranger V8 build).

Second, it seems like a Chapter Leader is thought to be the prime motivator and driver in a chapter, and I don't necessarily agree with that. Looking around the TN chapter I have noticed all sorts of good inputs, and they didn't have to come from a leader of any sort - they were just plain good ideas suggested or mentioned by Joe or Jane anybody...

The original description of a CL laid down by Ken Payne was that you had to be a mover and driver, MAKING things happen at FTE and in your chapter in particular. After all these years I almost pretty much don't think Tennessee works thattaway.

Today as it stands the job description reads like this:
Originally Posted by FTE/IB GUIDELINES
2. Leader Responsibilities: The Chapter Leader is responsible for seeking out new Chapter members on the FTE forums, overseeing the organization of events, meetings and gatherings, facilitating chapter growth and promoting the chapter on FTE. A chapter leader may delegate one or more of these tasks to chapter members.
* Far as I can see, if it was mine to do I'd delegate almost all of that.

A Chapter Leader in TN would be best off as very nearly a figurehead, while everybody else runs the doors off of the place. The East and Central regions have for many years been the main drivers here, there seem to be very few members from the Western end and we seem to have a lot of our own issues we are caught up in or in any case most folk out by the river don't seem to mix very much. I could be wrong, maybe it's just me.

But looking at us on a map, Tennessee is nearly as wide as Texas - the only place that would make any sense for a statewide meet is Nashville, and even that's a stretch.

I WILL when I get my "Mister Fusion" car running be going on road trips for no better reason than an excuse to hit the road - that is what I have been working towards through all of the mess I have been going through these past ten years.

Frankly I wonder if a Chapter Leader is an almost outmoded idea. It certainly works well in other chapters, but in Tennessee, well... I think we are a herd that objects to cowboys.

I just see us working better as a committee than a dictatorship or corporate anything.

Some have felt that the diesel crowd had pretty much taken over too - that we had become the Tennessee DIESEL Chapter, and I wasn't aware of that before.

It is also plain to see that few are they who seem to stick around through thick or thin - but old timers tend to come back again and again. Funny about that.

Anyway we slice it we need to talk about the direction we want to go, and who we want (and is willing) to head it up.

No matter what happens I'll be here doing whatever the heck it is I do regardless. We may not have amounted to much over time, but it sure is a comfortable place to talk about Tennessee Ford Truck and other stuff...

~Dutch
Drummonds TN
Up on a bluff next to the river

Old 02-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
No dog in this hunt. Seems to me since you don't really want the job, you'll be a good fit.

Let me be the first to say "Congratulations!"

Old 02-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Better hold that thought - it ain't over yet by an Irish Mile

*Although - any politician who wants a job should be fired ahead of time.

I'm fixin' to promote COMMUNITY over ORGANIZATION, (not that I'm a Communist by any stretch) because in CHAOS there are all sorts of opportunities for everyone.
Look at how long a drive it is from one end to th' other'n east to west - that by itself spells regional events or divisions. I said so a long time ago, and it is still true.

God knows the government isn't giving gasoline or diesel to underprivileged households...

Old 02-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
All those in favor say "aye"....

Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
You pushin' an empty wheelbarrow

Damn if I can see where I agreed to anything yet

I may have started it, I may have jumped back in a time or two - but that don't make me the mayor!

If (IF) I do that (and there is still nothing agreed to yet) we are dang sure going to run our own circuit races from one end to the other - it will buck
the organizational standards of FTE AND IB, that's a fact. One of the things that messed us up the most was PRESSURE to be like other chapters.

We are NOT - and I can think of no good reason why we should be.

I also would look to it to be temporary - we need to figure this mess out, and make it worthwhile and workable for someone good at it to do this.

GO VOLS!

Old 02-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like everything is user friendly enough that we might not need a leader. Why is it important? Most guys just chime in when the urge hits them. I usually don't get on until I need some info. Other times I try and help solve other issues (might be in the way as much as anything).

Old 02-07-2015, 07:48 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
As a friend of mine says, "Ifn it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Old 02-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Truly!

The only thing that sticks out like a sore toe is that FTE/IB insists that we have a leader.

Why ask why...

1) Have we been here for a long time?
2) Do we come back and make use of it?
3) Do we sometimes (sometimes) get out to meets?
4) Do we (and for me this is the clincher) HELP ONE ANOTHER?

So maybe we are what could be described as a "STEALTH CHAPTER", we are still the TN Chapter

I suppose when I think about it that the mods and admins are used to me being a wild card, except for the few that I make kind of nervous. But that still doesn't mean I'm caving on this...

Old 02-07-2015, 08:01 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, I was one of those guys who was just getting to be an active member when the chapter seemed to be growing back around 2009 - 2010. But the longer I was a member the more it seemed to me that the chapter 'events' were really geared to the diesel crowd. I watched as the Tennessee chapter ignored Major Ford Truck events in Tennessee yet headlined non Ford Diesel truck events. Yes, I lost interest in the chapter and immersed myself in the 1948-56 FTE group, and as I look at the current chapter forum, I was not alone.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
SO? AND?

What I'm promoting is that YOU have the ability to kick around ideas and set up whatever kind of an event, or point at a SAME KIND event and bring it to everyone elses attention.

WHY IN HELL SHOULD YOU HAVE TO GET A CHAPTER LEADERS PERMISSION???
If TN GTG's are going to sprout and get some gitty up it will be because of grass roots local gatherings
"HEY! I'm having an engine dropping party..." and so on...

* I wonder whatever happened to all of the SONIC Drive In meets? Cool peoples, rad trucks, good eats, show or don't.
And what's with all the high end food places? Screw that - a bag of fries and chips and a good excuse is all a hot rod man needs or wants...
*It occurs to me that truck stops have a lot of great CB and other stuff, the food is wonderful too

Just like the hotrod crowds from the good ol' days - maybe we just need to find a bunch of parking lots that belong to grateful fast food franchises...

There is much to be said for "NOTORIETY"

If nothing else, maybe we can use some of those greasy french fries to repack wheel bearings!!!!

If I'm not very much mistaken we may well have some flathead owners floating around. 'Couple years ago a buddy of mine across the street turned up with a fifty coupe with a flathead

Far as I know I'm on a chair in front of my computer. Last time I looked it did NOT say "PROPERTY OF SANTA FE" on the bottom of it, so this is not a railroad.

Be thinking about these ideas and suggestions, at least overnight as I will myself.

BESIDES: WE have no idea what the admins may think of it.

PS: MAKE NO MISTAKE! I am not a "BABYSITTER" anymore. The south (TN CHAPTER) rises or falls on its own merits

I dang sure ain't what makes you strong...

SO - are you still sure I am what you want?
And if I am - you still need to convince ME

~Wolf

PS: RESPONSIBILITIES can be delegated - so the USN once taught me. ACCOUNTABILITY cannot be shrugged off, that right there almost worries me. I say almost, because the worst they could do is to fire me, and I'm already retired. Nor is it a job - so who gives a turkey?

Someone else want to put they cards on the table, there it is.
*drops hand*

ANTE UP!

Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dutch, I've been the Oregon Chapter Leader since Ken asked me to take it over after the break up of the old NWC, in 2008. I love it! It's not a dictatorship at all, just a core group of truck guys. We have a very vibrant chapter and our yearly BS thread was over 17,000 posts last year. We have a yearly GTG (what a blast that is!) and offer help and give each other parts and "stuff" all the time. When I first started I worried all the time about getting and KEEPING new chapter members. Not any more! If they join the chapter and never post anything I don't sweat it anymore. Most of my members are ex military and we have each others backs. Just jump in and try it! I'm here to help in any way I can... Our yearly GTG's have been a blast and members have come hundreds of miles and spent several days here. Just a sample of last years GTG: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14397336

Just a couple weeks ago we had a "mini GTG" with just 5 members. One of them brought me a washer/dryer from over a hundred miles away and one came to pick up some Ford parts I had for free. It doesn't have to be overly structured, just a bunch of Ford friends having a good time. GO FOR IT!

Old 02-08-2015, 08:07 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Keep in mind the current Chapter and Chapter leader guidelines were written by current or former Chapter Leaders and voted by ALL Chapter Leaders.

FTE did not write the guidelines!

You must have a leader willing to lead in order to be successful as a chapter.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:24 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by glruff
Keep in mind the current Chapter and Chapter leader guidelines were written by current or former Chapter Leaders and voted by ALL Chapter Leaders.

FTE did not write the guidelines!

You must have a leader willing to lead in order to be successful as a chapter.
I read those guidelines, and I think that one of them, if it had been applied here in Tennessee, may have helped build and help keep this chapter together better.

4. Meets & Gatherings: For Chapters with membership "pockets" or large geographical areas, "Districts" or "Divisions" may be created within the Chapter to facilitate gatherings or events.

Since I have been a member of this Chapter, we have had 2 Leaders, one from the far West end of the state and then one from the far East end of the state. When Lariat97 was the leader, I know that at one time he floated the idea of assistant chapter leaders, I don't know if that idea would be approved, but the concept I think would work if we had similar such positions spread out across the state. I don't think TN needs more than one chapter but like CA, and TX the distance from one end of the state to the other is a full days drive.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:33 AM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
So Joe, you want to give it a try?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:46 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by glruff
So Joe, you want to give it a try?
Not right now, I'm still recovering from some health issues plus I'm committed to hosting the 2015 Truckstock event for the 1948-56 FTE group here in September. I would be more than willing to assist or help whoever takes the job though.

Quick Reply: Potential new chapter leader and/or stand in until one is found