Sponsored by:

LED bar Version 2.whatever

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:41 PM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LED bar Version 2.whatever

I know, the topic is now getting beat to death, but since I'm in the led mode with the truck now, time for some front love.
21" chinese bar came in, could not turn down the price(under $40, returned item) so here I am. it's a little too wide to fit where the factory fogs are(but I want to keep them in anyway) so I'm pretty much stuck with either above or below the bumper, since I have to keep the front plate, upper is looking promising, the other option was behind the grille, and I won't loose TOO much light, but the point is, I can't see at night, so every bit counts(this will run with high beams only, lots of rural night driving).
So here is the rough idea. Anyone else with other thoughts, etc, feel free to fire ideas out.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:00 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am willing to bet that if you wired it up and tested it from behind the grill, you will find that you are not loosing all that much light. I think that for your rig, having it behind the grill will keep the nice clean look you have.

I have a light bar like that on mine (on my big old bumper), and you will not believe the light output.

I think the biggest issue I saw with behind the grill, was a good place to bolt the thing down. Good luck on the instal!

Old 01-27-2015, 04:08 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Unrelated but related...if those don't already come with security screws on the sides, swap them out. I had some small fogs on an old Oldsmobile I had and some twits came and stole them right off the mounts (idiots left the mounts).

Ever since I get those screws that look like torx but have the pin in the center...haven't had anyone steal any lights off of me since.

...although that could be because of the DD sticker I keep on the dash...

Old 01-27-2015, 05:36 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain
I know, the topic is now getting beat to death, but since I'm in the led mode with the truck now, time for some front love.
21" chinese bar came in, could not turn down the price(under $40, returned item) so here I am. it's a little too wide to fit where the factory fogs are(but I want to keep them in anyway) so I'm pretty much stuck with either above or below the bumper, since I have to keep the front plate, upper is looking promising, the other option was behind the grille, and I won't loose TOO much light, but the point is, I can't see at night, so every bit counts(this will run with high beams only, lots of rural night driving).
So here is the rough idea. Anyone else with other thoughts, etc, feel free to fire ideas out.
I don't think beat to death at all. (IMO)
Had a Bud pick me up a similar, if not the same light. Front plate be damned, I tucked mine in the bumper as some other folks have done. Made my own brackets though...too simple not to. Just 2) pieces of 1/8" and a half dozen spacers- voila.
Only thing I could add relative to Mr.Ross's input is to upgrade the hardware in size as well. The brackets will take 8mm hardware. I went with Allen head w/ nylock nuts.
It can be done without pulling the grill, but even if their hands are tiny, the thieves are going to be cussing. (Not like they will ever get a chance).
Some clear silicone around the housing/lens gap may add some life as well. (As other folks suggested)
Have yet to take it out of the barn....not till the salt is looooong gone.
I'm going old school...waiting on a foot switch.

Horrible picture of bracket, spacers tack-welded, but not necessary.

From inside the barn....

Old 01-27-2015, 07:16 PM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
That is def my first choice for location, but man I hate to lose my factory fogs, I'll have to play around with it and see...I tested it out on the bumper and yeah....darn impressed. I have the 36w one on my atv and thought that was impressive, this having the flood/spot combo is nice too. Once it warms up a bit I'm going to play around and see what works the best, the foot dimmer is a good idea I have kicked around, and seeing as amazon has them for under $10 shipped.....would simplify things

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember in VA, I was bit in the *** by this in the past. subsection B.

I tried to link to the site, but FTE does not allow exe links.

prev | next
§ 46.2-1030. When lights to be lighted; number of lights to be lighted at any time; use of warning lights.

A. Every vehicle in operation on a highway in the Commonwealth shall display lighted headlights and illuminating devices as required by this article (i) from sunset to sunrise, (ii) during any other time when, because of rain, smoke, fog, snow, sleet, insufficient light, or other unfavorable atmospheric conditions, visibility is reduced to a degree whereby persons or vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 500 feet, and (iii) whenever windshield wipers are in use as a result of fog, rain, sleet, or snow. The provisions of this subsection, however, shall not apply to instances when windshield wipers are used intermittently in misting rain, sleet, or snow.

B. Not more than four lights used to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle, including at least two headlights and any other combination of fog lights or other auxiliary lights approved by the Superintendent, shall be lighted at any time. However, this limitation shall not preclude the display of warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027, or other lights as may be authorized by the Superintendent.

C. Vehicles equipped with warning lights authorized in §§ 46.2-1020 through 46.2-1027 shall display lighted warning lights as authorized in such sections at all times when responding to emergency calls, towing disabled vehicles, or constructing, repairing, and maintaining public highways or utilities on or along public highways, except that amber lights on vehicles designed with a ramp on wheels and a hydraulic lift with a capacity to haul or tow another vehicle, commonly referred to as "rollbacks," need not be lit while the vehicle is in motion unless it is actually towing a vehicle.

D. The failure to display lighted headlights and illuminating devices under the conditions set forth in clause (iii) of subsection A of this section shall not constitute negligence per se, nor shall violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section constitute a defense to any claim for personal injury or recovery of medical expenses for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident.

E. No demerit points shall be assessed for failure to display lighted headlights and illuminating devices during periods of fog, rain, sleet, or snow in violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section.

F. No citation for a violation of clause (iii) of subsection A of this section shall be issued unless the officer issuing such citation has cause to stop or arrest the driver of such motor vehicle for the violation of some other provision of this Code or local ordinance relating to the operation, ownership, or maintenance of a motor vehicle or any criminal statute.

(Code 1950, § 46-275; 1956, c. 640; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-268; 1960, c. 156; 1970, c. 165; 1983, c. 132; 1987, c. 381; 1989, c. 727; 1992, c. 364; 1997, cc. 25, 589.)

Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for that Archion! I hadn't thought of it and was planning on doing something in a few months.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 AM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Unrelated but related...if those don't already come with security screws on the sides, swap them out. I had some small fogs on an old Oldsmobile I had and some twits came and stole them right off the mounts (idiots left the mounts).

Ever since I get those screws that look like torx but have the pin in the center...haven't had anyone steal any lights off of me since.

...although that could be because of the DD sticker I keep on the dash...
I think I have a pile of those from an old Chrysler I scrapped, if not, are those something that can be picked up locally? Just never needed them enough to look, could just weld it

Originally Posted by Archion
Just remember in VA, I was bit in the *** by this in the past. subsection B.

I tried to link to the site, but FTE does not allow exe links.
I'm safe there, the 3 way toggle on the dash turns those factory fogs into red strobes, so then they count as "emergency" lights. I also know 98% of the LE around here, and I know they give 0 craps about aux lighting, only thing I have seen is them dealing with the brodozers with the 50" roof mounted bars they keep on all the time.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain
I think I have a pile of those from an old Chrysler I scrapped, if not, are those something that can be picked up locally? Just never needed them enough to look, could just weld it
You can find them around, probably on line is easiest, but fastener stores might have them. The manual should say what size they are...then just use that to search Google.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Does anybody know how many amps those LED bars take? Could a guy reuse the old fog light wiring to keep things simple? That sure would make it easy to install.