Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pros and cons of flatbeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:28 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pros and cons of flatbeds

Sorry I haven't posted in a while I've been extremely busy and have had next to no time to work on my truck unless something needed to be done since ALL of my time and money is currently going into the farm. So I'm trying to get back into posting on here and I hate to come back and just ask questions but it is what it is I suppose.

Now back to the question: I'm considering making a flatbed for my truck (1987 f150) or the farm truck (1982 f350). I wanted to know what the pros and cons of a flatbed are and if a flatbed is better than a pickup bed? I am more likely to be making one for the farm truck since it has a rotted out dump bed on it and it's an f350 And I'm considering doing a SRW swap instead of keeping The dual wheels. Thoughts about this? Any help is appreciated as usual

Old 01-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 968 Likes on 765 Posts
A flatbed is real useful for loading things with a tractor or forklift from the side, but an old F150 doesn't have a high enough cargo capacity to really justify a flatbed.. basically if you need a tractor to lift it it's too heavy for the 1/2 ton so I'd suggest putting the flatbed on the F350.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:42 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll agree, do the F350. My plans were to flatbed my F150, for fun though not work. Sold my flatbed 2 weeks ago. But they look gooood with duals!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:46 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Originally Posted by ncranchero
I'll agree, do the F350. My plans were to flatbed my F150, for fun though not work. Sold my flatbed 2 weeks ago. But they look gooood with duals!
Did you make your flatbed? And I will do the f350 If I decide to make one

Old 01-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
A flatbed is real useful for loading things with a tractor or forklift from the side, but an old F150 doesn't have a high enough cargo capacity to really justify a flatbed.. basically if you need a tractor to lift it it's too heavy for the 1/2 ton so I'd suggest putting the flatbed on the F350.
Agreed.

Another thing to consider about a flat bed... you need to tie EVERYTHING down you put on it.

A flatbed ia at least 6" higher than a standard pickup bed, so you have to pick thing HIGHER to put them on the flat bed.

Flatbeds weight MORE than pickup beds, so that limits how much you can put on them.

Also figure resale. MOST people do Not want a flatbed

Old 01-25-2015, 07:31 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Agreed.

Another thing to consider about a flat bed... you need to tie EVERYTHING down you put on it.

A flatbed ia at least 6" higher than a standard pickup bed, so you have to pick thing HIGHER to put them on the flat bed.

Flatbeds weight MORE than pickup beds, so that limits how much you can put on them.

All of the things I considered, especially the first, then sold the bed! I'm good with the stock bed.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 PM
steve33444
Elder User
Agreed.

Picking things up higher isn't much of a problem unless I use it to haul hay then I just have to throw it higher. How much would it limit the f350's carrying capacity if it was an all steel flatbed? Tying things down isn't a problem either other than it would get pretty annoying I'm sure. And why do not many people want a flatbed?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by steve33444
Picking things up higher isn't much of a problem unless I use it to haul hay then I just have to throw it higher. How much would it limit the f350's carrying capacity if it was an all steel flatbed? Tying things down isn't a problem either other than it would get pretty annoying I'm sure. And why do not many people want a flatbed?
When you are pickup up a 100lb object, 6" more makes one hell of a difference. Especially doing it repeadily

A sheet metal pickup bed weights about 300lbs. And all metal flatbed weights about 1000lbs. That that limits your weight capacity by about 700lbs

For all the reasons I listed is why people don't want them.

Most people who want them (A) have never used one, (B) Want one because they look cool. (C) they don't use their truck to begin with so they don't need to worry about the reasons listed

Old 01-25-2015, 08:22 PM
steve33444
Elder User
When you are pickup up a 100lb object, 6" more makes one hell of a difference. Especially doing it repeadily

A sheet metal pickup bed weights about 300lbs. And all metal flatbed weights about 1000lbs. That that limits your weight capacity by about 700lbs

For all the reasons I listed is why people don't want them.

Most people who want them (A) have never used one, (B) Want one because they look cool. (C) they don't use their truck to begin with so they don't need to worry about the reasons listed
If I was to have to pick something of 100 pounds up repeatedly I would probably use the other truck with a pickup bed.. I thought u were talking about something like a motor or such where I would need a tractor to lift it and 6 inches for a tractor shouldn't be a problem...just holding a lever down till its high enough... I want one so that I can load stuff from the side since right now I can't because of the sides that are on the dump bed... the dump bed is rotted out or else I would just keep that

Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

I had one years ago, a cherry '53 F250, in the early 80's and it was as handy as your zipper when you have to pee! I had just bought my acreage in the country and used it to haul culverts and all sorts if things. So I know they can be handy. Always wanted another one. I bought my bed before I found a truck to put it on. I would have had to shorten the bed as my truck is a SB and a 1/2 ton at that but it was to be a toy anyway. Money/time/bed weight/messing up a good bed/liking the look of the OBS RCSB put an end to the flatbed for now. Someday......

My 1953 F250

Flatbed I just sold

Old 01-26-2015, 07:45 AM
steve33444
Elder User
Do you still have the 53? It's a very sharp looking truck. And I'm guessing u liked your flatbed since you wanted another one? Does a wood floor flatbed have any advantages over a steel one?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 AM
turnkyle
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like a flatbed for towing and hauling at the same time. You can pull a small bumper pull camp trailer and throw 2 fourwheelers on the flatbed. That way you don't have to tow double. Just build 12" tall wood sides or use diamond plate and they look pretty sharp plus it makes it so you don't have to tie everything down. If you pull goose neck trailers it also makes it nice not having to worry about the trailer snagging the bed side if you have to turn off kilter with the trailer on. I've seen plenty of bed sides almost ripped off due to this happening.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

I WISH I still had the '53!!! A 239 Flathead V8 w/4.88 gearing and 25 miles one way to work, wide open at 55 MPH. Scared I'd blow it up.
Wood floor is just what I found. I doubt it's as heavy as all steel plate and stuff doesn't slide as easy, which can be good or bad. I have the tilt trailer to haul stuff still. You DO have to tie everything down on it!

Old 01-26-2015, 08:03 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Flatbeds can be useful if you use them for work a lot. But I wouldn't want it on a daily driver.

You say that your farm truck has a rotted out dump bed? Well if it still dumps then you could put a stake body bed on it so you can build your own sides and still be able to dump with it.

We did that with our 93, and it dropped about 700lbs when we got rid of the dump bed and switched to the stake body.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:07 AM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Nice truck Fastback!!

The other reason I let the flatbed go. Wanted this truck for years, still there too.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of flatbeds