Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

IDI mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The NA perkins in the rangers could be made into a damn respectable monster with a turbo and some tweaking. Seen one rip off a 15.8 1/4mi.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not seen a diesel mini truck in along time, and I sporadically look. Plus most import trucks do not get much better mpg then 25, and I hate the ride of them typically. They make my K20 seem smooth, and it rides like a truck.

I do like the S10 as it seems to ride the best of the smaller trucks, but the 2.2 is a ticking time bomb. Also the 4.3 gets the same mpg as a full size.

Rangers 4 banger is better with the stick, but those are rareish. Also most have been turned into pre-runners in my area. The V6 models make you wish you had a F150 for the mpg the deliver.

As for engine swaps I live in the peoples republic of California so it would have to be legal. The S10 I could use the 3.6/6 speed out of a camaro, but I do not really want another project.

The ranger is out for swaps due to the way ford designed the ohc engines. Making easy fit ment rough. Very rough.

Chevy's V6 is a narrow angle designed to be the same width as he LS, and they is cheap. The issue is what meaningfull improvement over the F100?

So I will think here for a bit, and make a call on projects. Rather I will do the easy 3.7, and tune for mpg. Or do a moon shot, and try to modernize a FE. Then pray for 20 hwy.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
The NA perkins in the rangers could be made into a damn respectable monster with a turbo and some tweaking. Seen one rip off a 15.8 1/4mi.
Not legal where I live

Old 01-23-2015, 11:14 PM
totalloser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
Not legal where I live
The 2.2 perkins rangers are legal in CA. In fact, they are also smog inspection exempt since they were made before '98.

It's also legal to swap as long as you swap a newer engine to an older chassis, or use an engine that was rated to the chassis epa standards. Which basically translates to industrial engine in road vehicle = no no since very few industrial engines went into passenger vehicles, and some pleading/proving with a referee would be likely.

For the little vehicles the obvious choice would be TDI, but it's pretty involved. But if I were to choose a fantasy engine for a mini truck, it would be a souped up 4tne turbo. Direct injected, gear driven cam and IP.

CARB should be resettled on mars.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:50 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
300 I6 + 3.55 gears and 4spd. Guy i *cough* got arrested by... has this combo in a 77 f150 4x4 flareside. All stock on 33" rubber pulls down 18-20 on the hwy. 4bbl intake little 490 or 470? holley and headers would bump that up im sure. Let alone say 3.08 gears or the OD 4spd.

A 20mpg FE engine? How many unicorns do you have? My 390 was respectable at 12-13, but i dont think they get much better.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
I had a 96 defender with the turbo 4 cylinder . It was no fire ball but it could move along quite well considering the Landy weighed over 3 ton. The story was Ford in Brazil took over the design and took it from 2.5 up to 2.8 liters.
Do these engines come in any pickup in the states, because it was fairly economical as well. Some blokes were upgrading turbos as well and getting respectable performance as well for a turbo diesel 4.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by totalloser
The 2.2 perkins rangers are legal in CA. In fact, they are also smog inspection exempt since they were made before '98.

It's also legal to swap as long as you swap a newer engine to an older chassis, or use an engine that was rated to the chassis epa standards. Which basically translates to industrial engine in road vehicle = no no since very few industrial engines went into passenger vehicles, and some pleading/proving with a referee would be likely.

For the little vehicles the obvious choice would be TDI, but it's pretty involved. But if I were to choose a fantasy engine for a mini truck, it would be a souped up 4tne turbo. Direct injected, gear driven cam and IP.

CARB should be resettled on mars.
It is still a project that would only net slightly better mog then a similar swap in my F100, and the 80 or so cents diesel cost more per gallon adds a negative to the concept.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:25 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Rangers had the diesel option, you can find one... maybe. Beyond that, whatever youre smokin is pretty good if you think you can get 30+ out of a f100, i dont care what you do to it.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
Rangers had the diesel option, you can find one... maybe. Beyond that, whatever youre smokin is pretty good if you think you can get 30+ out of a f100, i dont care what you do to it.
Learn to read. I said I would have to get 30 out of diesel to make sense vs what I can get out of a gas engine.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:14 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by totalloser
If tinkering is on the table, and fuel efficiency is king...

short bed standard cab 2wd f150, small block ZF5, 4bt with turned up VE pump, (many 4bt's came with the small block ford adapter) and pick a choice gearing. Keep in mind once you are talking about a 9", gearing *taller* than 2.5:1 is available, and the 5.72 first/reverse of the wide ratio ZF will even it out decently. I bet it would break 30mpg. Heavier coils would be a must though.

With the 4BT in my F350, I just got 20.6 MPG on my last tank(s) that was comprised of solely short trips to town and running around the farm. I have yet to have it out on the open road in its current configuration - I am hoping for a solid 22 to 23 mpg.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Double Post

Last edited by 1972RedNeck; 01-25-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust
Learn to read. I said I would have to get 30 out of diesel to make sense vs what I can get out of a gas engine.
I read just fine, you just said the diesel ranger would get slightly better mileage than your FE power f100, so close in fact that the cost of diesel would offset the mpg. All the accounts of diesel rangers ive seen heard puts them all in the 35mpg range. If you get HALF that out of an fe powered... anything, i would be impressed. 4bts regularly pull down 25mpg in half tons. The little perkins they used to swap into dents would get even better, but admittedly that engine was a turd to make a stock IDI look good.

Im not new to this little game of diesel vs. gas and engine swaps, there is a reason i have an IDI in my 79. Best i ever recorded with my 400 was 15. I never drove over 45 and never idled. Pulling 8ton of rock around i still got 14-15mpg with the 7.3. That margin pretty easily pays for diesel being a little more expensive.

If you think you can build a 20mpg FE, more power to ya. At the end of the day, im pretty sure youre going to be dissapointed.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Ziegelsteinfaust
Posting Guru
I read just fine, you just said the diesel ranger would get slightly better mileage than your FE power f100, so close in fact that the cost of diesel would offset the mpg. All the accounts of diesel rangers ive seen heard puts them all in the 35mpg range. If you get HALF that out of an fe powered... anything, i would be impressed. 4bts regularly pull down 25mpg in half tons. The little perkins they used to swap into dents would get even better, but admittedly that engine was a turd to make a stock IDI look good.

Im not new to this little game of diesel vs. gas and engine swaps, there is a reason i have an IDI in my 79. Best i ever recorded with my 400 was 15. I never drove over 45 and never idled. Pulling 8ton of rock around i still got 14-15mpg with the 7.3. That margin pretty easily pays for diesel being a little more expensive.

If you think you can build a 20mpg FE, more power to ya. At the end of the day, im pretty sure youre going to be dissapointed.
a diesel ranger would only have slightly better mpg then a comparable diesel in my F100.

Given reasons posted by other users due to cetane what ever that is I would get about 30 with 4 bt swap. A ranger would due a bit more, and rides like a mini truck.

So given the poor dynamics of diesel to gas cost. I would be better off to get a 3.7 V6 for my stated needs. Let me re say that for you my stated needs. The V6 in a bigger, and much heavier F150 can touch 25. So if I due it up with bolt on's, and a tune. 25mpg should be easy on the highway if I do not floor it, or go stupid with cheap heavy over sized rims.

The FE was referenced as a alternative to the 3.7. Lets go with the 3.7, and figure 25 hwy going 65-70 in decent conditions. Could one get 20+ with a modernized FE. I want the FE since it looks right in my truck, and I have one in good condition. To which I can add things as weekend projects.

I do not really want to go through a 5.0 or a 300 I6. Since I would spend more in a engine rebuild then a wrecked mustang purchase. Before I recoup any money.

Do not edit text to fit your argument.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:56 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
The V6 in a bigger, and much heavier F150 can touch 25. So if I due it up with bolt on's, and a tune. 25mpg should be easy on the highway if I do not floor it, or go stupid with cheap heavy over sized rims.
If thats the case, i really wonder why the ecoboost only gets 18-20...

Beyond all that, a 3.8/4.2 will never come close to the power a diesel will give you. Im not against you, just trying to help you see it logically.

Didnt edit anything??

Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM
idiabuse
Senior User
I have experienced with my super cab C-6 GV 3.55 geared 285-85-16 tires 7.3 IDI 20mpg city driving and up to 28mpg using pump fuel.

Now I run anything I can find to pour in my tank and I still get 20mpg but that varies with quality of fuel.
Since I cant keep the quality consistent I really dont care about milage, I just fill my tanks!

Yes I did many things to make the mpg rise.

the basics is what I focused on.

Quick Reply: IDI mpg