Sponsored by: Moser

Leading Edge Tuning for Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 06:54 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I don't have a convenient source of 93 octane where I live. And I can't rely on finding it when I travel places either.
The truck drives really well. I'm now more curious what is my 1/4 mile time than dyno numbers.

I'll be getting my car on the road this year and probably take it to the drag strip at some point. I could just enter the truck at the same time and get a 1/4 mile run in.
Same here, I run a 91 tune for daily driving because there is only a couple stations in the state that sell 93.
I do have a 93 tune for the track but I didn't get there last year.
There is a gas station about 1 hour away that sells 93. I fill up with 93 when I'm in the area. But I don't bother swapping tunes back and forth because more than likely my next tank will be 91.
I've always been more into time slips than dyno #s too.
My 2011 Scab ran a 13.5 with a Livernois 93 tune. My 2014 is about 500 lbs lighter and has better tunes so I'm hoping for better times.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:10 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I could hit 13.8 then I would be happy. My truck is particularly heavy at 6300 lbs so there is no reason to set goals above average. If I could just be average that would be an accomplishment.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:25 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
All the basic 1/4 mile estimators out there predict mid-15's. It's just not taking into account the unusual torque curve of an Ecoboost. I found this site that allowed me to type in my actual torque curve. Lo and behold my ET is predicted at 13.8. It will be fun to see what happens in real world.

Wallace Racing - Drag Race Simulator

Old 01-13-2016, 10:15 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
This is my first winter with the oil catch can. I am sooooo glad I got the larger Mega can. The rate of water collection goes up exponentially with cold weather. I am now needing to drain the can twice for every tank of fuel and getting about 8 - 9 ounces of fluid out of the can each time, mostly clear water.

The can does freeze up and doesn't defrost too readily when driving. I am catching breaks with a day here and there around 30F. If these cold snaps last too long then I will be forced to remove the can for defrosting, or rig up a can bypass that I can plug in to the hoses.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:55 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
This is my first winter with the oil catch can. I am sooooo glad I got the larger Mega can. The rate of water collection goes up exponentially with cold weather. I am now needing to drain the can twice for every tank of fuel and getting about 8 - 9 ounces of fluid out of the can each time, mostly clear water.

The can does freeze up and doesn't defrost too readily when driving. I am catching breaks with a day here and there around 30F. If these cold snaps last too long then I will be forced to remove the can for defrosting, or rig up a can bypass that I can plug in to the hoses.
Did you end up heat tracing the cans?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:04 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
No, I've been too lazy to figure it out. It's been a mild winter so the problem hasn't been too much of an inconvenience yet.

Same reason I've never bought a snow blower for the driveway. If I can just tolerate the inconvenience one more time.... LOL!

Old 12-28-2018, 12:50 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Long time no see.

Thought I would log in and give an update. Over 80K miles on the engine (50K miles on the tune) and no issues with the Leading Edge Tuning 91 octane tune. I haven't been following the forum gossip for the last 3 years but hopefully people are now less wary of a good aftermarket tune.

I actually did run the truck down the 1/4 mile and it was astonishingly slow. LOL! Consistent 14.5 sec riding on the converter in 4WD. So much for thinking I'm some kind of hot shot! But to be fair, this is probably the heaviest F150 to ever run down the 1/4 mile drag strip. My car ended its night on the first run, so I unhooked the trailer and ran the truck all night instead. Close to 7000 lbs of crew cab, long box, tow max, heavy mudder tires, with a 230 lb fiberglass topper, and the bed full of tools, tires, cooler, plus my 4 friends' gear that they didn't want in their cars. Ya, I had to do some sweet talking to get that on the track.

But even slow guys have their moment of glory. There was an arrogant, annoying Fiero owner hanging around tech that nosed in during my tech inspection and seemed to know EVERYTHING about my truck and informed the tech folks that my truck would never run faster than 15.5. So up yours, Fiero guy! I ran a 14.5!

Old 12-28-2018, 01:05 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
And as of last week I am also now a member of the exploding rear glass club. Thank you, Ford.

But overall it has been a very nice truck to drive the last 7 years. I'm still hoping they fired the HVAC engineer though.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:16 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Got the vacuum pump replaced under recall. It's been misbehaving since almost new. After 9 years it finally got to the point of loudly clattering. Didn't even know there was a recall and luckily found this video (see below) before spending $300 to replace it myself. Kind of a nice surprise to get it done for free at the dealer.

Also removed the oil catch can and drilled the intercooler at 100K miles. That catch can was a real PIA to live with and I'm not going to miss it one bit. Unnecessary accessory in my opinion.

The real problem I've always had is water in intercooler, but only on long freeway drives. Finally gave up and did the drill mod in my Wagner intercooler. Took the intercooler out of the truck and drilled the driver side and flushed it thoroughly with rubbing alcohol. There was a good 1/4 cup of oil in the intercooler AFTER sucking a bunch into the engine on the freeway. Unfortunately, engine still misfires under the right conditions. Should have drilled the passenger side due to crown in the road. I could easily plug the hole and drill again on passenger side but it's not quite annoying enough to do that again (yet).

Also changed spark plugs with 60K miles and they looked awesome. Would have put them back in if I hadn't already bought new plugs. Not sure why the original plugs only lasted 30K miles on stock tune, but now plugs appear to be lasting forever on the custom tune.

Passenger side rear door (crew cab) keeps filling with water due to rubber bits plugging the drains from the innards of the door. That's quite annoying. I'll open the door and Niagara Falls begins pouring out of the door. Then I'll fish a piece of rubber out of the drain holes and it'll be good until the next time (months apart). Pretty much expecting that door to end up with electrical gremlins and be the first to rust through. Given the high cost of new trucks though, I'll be keeping this truck longer than my initial plan of 10 years.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:21 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Oh, and the truck now has been through 2 tornadoes. That, gents, is what you call a damn good truck.

The following users liked this post: