Notices

LED replacements for Trade Number 194 clearance lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Wayno
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED replacements for Trade Number 194 clearance lights

2001 F250 Platinum Edition with factory installed eye brow. Clearance lights are stylized amber lenses in eye brow.
There are plenty of LEDs on the internet that claim to be replacements, with warnings like "may be too wide" etc, and also used in yard lights etc. Finally one vendor rates brightness in something called IM.
Can anyone recommend a bright white LED suitable for a replacement for the clearance lights that has provided good service?
Thanks!
ps...what the heck is the "im" measurement, and how does this compare to lumens?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
PlatinumPat
New User
I had this same exact question a couple days ago. I just bought a new platinum (new to me) and the clearence lights werent working. I replaced them with what seems to be the stock bulbs, but i want some more lumens pumping through that visor. Any body know what LED's will fit?

thanks,

Old 01-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Wayno
New User
Platinum eyebrow

Just so you know, extensive research yielded the following:
The eye brow was manufactured in Canada by a company that makes aftermarket "kit" add-ons. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only Custom eyebrow that this company manufactured, and only for the Platinum edition.
The eyebrow was factory installed, a one of a kind only available on the platinum. If you want to go to stock type factory clearance lights, expect a bunch of body work, as there are large trapezoidal openings in the trucks roof, covered by the eyebrow.
The bolts are listed in the Ford parts catalog under "body parts" for the 2001 Platinum. A diagram shows placement in the eyebrow. I had a number of Ford people tell me that for NEVER installed an eyebrow, so it was an uphill battle.
The nut which is spot welded to the sheet metal top can easily tear out. Use a top grade penetrant like Kroil (available at Brownells.com) before attempting to remove the eyebrow itself.
Also the FULL chrome front bumper was unique to the Platinum edition. If it gets crunched, it will be hell to find a replacement.
Mine came with a solid state chip plugged into the diagnostic port in the brain. I have to pull it to ger a Kalifornia smog check. With it out, BOT power and gas mileage are greatly reduced.
There was a flaw in the transmissions for that year. See my old post under Engine Breaking. Thank's to a retired Ford engineer that worked on this tranny, it came to light and was finally corrected on the 4th rebuild. I pull a a fifth wheel, and a 14' dump trailer with no issues whatsoever.