6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:20 PM
laurin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedliner

Has anyone experienced the Ford factory spray in Bedliner separating from the pick up bed? Mine is separating for both rear corners of the bed. 16,000 miles do I take it into the dealership for them to look at it or is it just one of those things that you have to accept. I had a Rhino Liner in my '99 F350 for 14 years and that never occurred. What do you think?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:46 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes take it to the dealer. It's covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

I bet however your dealer will have a difficult time figuring out how to process the warranty. It's rare for a factory spray in. I haven't seen a single claim on any of them from my dealers in an 8-state radius. So just be patient with them as they learn how to sort it out.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Wow - Pocket that is saying alot. I guess they got the spray in liner figured out. The first early build 2011 I had with the factory spray in liner was horrible, the next one was a little better, and then the job 2 one I had was ok. It did scratch up easy though.

My 2015 I didn't order I picked off the lot and the was one of the two things it didn't have that I wanted. (Spray in liner and 5th wheel prep)

Old 01-14-2015, 05:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Mine has been fine and I beat the heck out of it. I have 19K on my truck.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Dakster
Wow - Pocket that is saying alot. I guess they got the spray in liner figured out. The first early build 2011 I had with the factory spray in liner was horrible, the next one was a little better, and then the job 2 one I had was ok. It did scratch up easy though.
They didn't have the process back then that they have now. Materials changed and they went to a robotic process about 2 years ago or so.

Of course everything is in the prep. Mistakes can happen.

Here's a quick video of the process for the factory spray-in that Ford uses in production. It's kinda cool:

Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the video - it was interesting...

I have the factory spray in liner...
In my opinion, it needs to be twice as thick to make it as impact resistant and resiliant as a LineX bedliner.

Edit add ---
I am happy with the quality and it looks really good.. It's just not in the same league as LineX as I was hoping it would have been..

Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I have it, wish I had done LineX. I damaged it before the truck had 1000 miles on it. Dealer has no idea how to fix it. I even asked again when I had it in for inspection last year. Still no idea. Hit the damage with some black paint and that's how it's stayed. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine has been good as well. I've been pretty hard on it as well, especially during our recent move.

I used Line-X in previous trucks and had a few spots get worn to the sheet metal from carrying big AC units etc. Warranty work was easy as the Line-X dealer would re spray it. I'm sure Ford will have the warranty liner work figured out before long.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Thanks for the video - it was interesting...

I have the factory spray in liner...
In my opinion, it needs to be twice as thick to make it as impact resistant and resiliant as a LineX bedliner.

Edit add ---
I am happy with the quality and it looks really good.. It's just not in the same league as LineX as I was hoping it would have been..
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want dent protection you need to have a drop in liner.

Spray in liners are not designed for impact protection. Even if you up the thickness, the impact resistance only changes by a few psi. Ford, LineX, etc are all within a very close range of dent resistance. It's kind of a common misnomer that a thicker spray in works better.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Sorry to disagree with you Curtis, but the LineX that was done on my 99 SD was easily twice as thick and provided a substantially greater degree of impact protection. Granted that the guys that put my LineX in may have sprayed it on heavy, but it was the same way on my buddy's trucks..
In the LOOKS department, the factory sprayed does look better.. While I have not dropped engines and transmissions along with heavy equipment in it like I did my 99 - that day is coming..
When I traded my 99 in, all I did was spray down the bed with Simple-Green cleaner and hit it with the hose. When it dried out, it looked almost like new..

Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
The last drop in liner I had was pretty nice, but slippery as heck and if you had to crawl across it, well, God save your knees.....
I never pulled that liner out so can't attest to the possible wear and rust that might have been going on underneath it..

Old 01-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
The factory spray in bed liner in my 2012 F350 is also peeling in a bad way. Right at the opening of the tailgate. I'm going good to cut out the flaps and spray the area with bed liner spray.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:34 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Sgt93
I'm sure Ford will have the warranty liner work figured out before long.

Going on two years and no answers. I don't hold much hope.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:48 PM
watchluvr4ever
Senior User
No complaints with my LineX bedliner so far.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM
laurin
Junior User
Ok so I will take it in but Scott is not giving me a warm fuzzy that it will get fixed. Thanks for the encouragement guys. I hope they can fix it.

Quick Reply: Bedliner