Sponsored by: DP Tuner

OT Shipping a cab across the country

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OT Shipping a cab across the country

This is a long shot, but I have an opportunity to get a crew cab cab that matches my truck. I have been dreading replacing the cab corners and rocker panels on my truck and would relish the opportunity to swap out cabs. Has anyone shipped something like that? I can get it loaded, but I am wondering who has had good luck doing this and not getting burned. I am looking at shipping from Washington to Wisconsin.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:04 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Look up uship they are private transporters that bid on shipments, just check the ratings and comments of whomever is bidding on what you are shipping before you award them the job.http://www.uship.com/

Old 01-10-2015, 06:08 AM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I move heavy *** pallets of ammo across the country and have them shipped up to Alaska for my business.

Avoid uship, that place is a joke. Contact someone like Reddaway, Conway, etc. It's probably cheaper than you think.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:30 AM
tonym17
Senior User
Originally Posted by Andy's Beast
This is a long shot, but I have an opportunity to get a crew cab cab that matches my truck. I have been dreading replacing the cab corners and rocker panels on my truck and would relish the opportunity to swap out cabs. Has anyone shipped something like that? I can get it loaded, but I am wondering who has had good luck doing this and not getting burned. I am looking at shipping from Washington to Wisconsin.
That will be a pretty penny I would guess if its only a cab(no wheels to roll it around on)

I have the same issue with the rockers on my 250 with only 105k on the clock.....Not into the corners yet though
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...b-corners.html

Ordered the rockers from mills supply and a new door from ford....
almost tempted to do a color change seeing as I will be painting almost the whole truck...

Old 01-10-2015, 08:36 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
avoid uship, 99% of their "transporters" are fly by night operators, and most do not have insurance if anything happens to what they are moving. that is how they can work so cheap.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
There's fella near Osseo WI that might have a Texas cab.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd look around closer to home first. There are a few places around that have southern parts in state. I'd weigh cost of the cab + shipping versus buying in state(or a near by state) and transporting it yourself.

Where are you in WI?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
I am in Whitewater, southcentral part of the state. I know it's a long shot (shipping from Washington) and dealing with the financial parts of the transaction make me worry. I am guessing that it would cost me $4-500, give or take, to have it shipped to my buddy's business. The thing i liked was that it is the same color as my truck with the fenders, hood doors and all. If there is something in state, I'd be interested, as long as it was rust free.

Doing the cab corners and rocking panels is possible, but I just don't have the necessary time to do it or the welding equipment or skills. Paying someone to do it, will be close to $4k and I might get 4-5 years before the rust rears its ugly head again. I figure a cab conversion may take a weekend, especially if I get help. Fixing what I have sure beats taking on a $5-600 monthly payment for the next 6 years.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V
There's fella near Osseo WI that might have a Texas cab.
That's not too bad of a haul of from me. Do you have his contact info?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:40 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

I am in Whitewater, southcentral part of the state. I know it's a long shot (shipping from Washington) and dealing with the financial parts of the transaction make me worry. I am guessing that it would cost me $4-500, give or take, to have it shipped to my buddy's business. The thing i liked was that it is the same color as my truck with the fenders, hood doors and all. If there is something in state, I'd be interested, as long as it was rust free.

Doing the cab corners and rocking panels is possible, but I just don't have the necessary time to do it or the welding equipment or skills. Paying someone to do it, will be close to $4k and I might get 4-5 years before the rust rears its ugly head again. I figure a cab conversion may take a weekend, especially if I get help. Fixing what I have sure beats taking on a $5-600 monthly payment for the next 6 years.
I'm in the same boat with my truck. Doors are shot (I do have 3 of the 4 in good shape), fenders are getting rough and the cab has really started to rot.

I found a clean cab locally, just a bare cab. It is color matched(black) but is bare. Lots of hours to swap everything over. Ideally finding a complete cab from the same truck complete is the way to go.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:42 AM
tonym17
Senior User

I hear ya on the money part.......I hate payments myself...
I will be doing both my rockers in a few weeks in Chicago....

Old 01-10-2015, 12:58 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
i had seen on here a while ago someone posted te name of a place in texas that had body parts in good shape and reasonably priced but cant find it

Old 01-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Shipping that cab can get tricky. If you ship it common carrier like Conway, YRC, ABF, etc it had better be crated well or you could well end up with a lot of scratch and dent to tend to when you get it. You might try ABF U-Pack or PODS and have it placed into a container then shipped. It should survive in one of those pretty well.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
I called PODS for a quote and the lady started saying $2300...and I stopped her right there. Man!! That little idea forming in my head of having a rust free body from out west shipped to me just got POPPED! I'll just have to have my eyes open and money in my pocket (tough to get both to coordinate) for a nice body....ah I mean truck body! Thanks for the feedback.

Here's the link to the craiglist ad if this might help anybody else. The logistics just won't work, but I gotta similar feeling of prettying up my truck that i get thinking of winning the lottery.

2000 FORD F250 SUPER CREW CAB

Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

I called PODS for a quote and the lady started saying $2300...and I stopped her right there. Man!! That little idea forming in my head of having a rust free body from out west shipped to me just got POPPED! I'll just have to have my eyes open and money in my pocket (tough to get both to coordinate) for a nice body....ah I mean truck body! Thanks for the feedback.

Here's the link to the craiglist ad if this might help anybody else. The logistics just won't work, but I gotta similar feeling of prettying up my truck that i get thinking of winning the lottery.

2000 FORD F250 SUPER CREW CAB
That's a good price for all that. Road trip???