Engine Tear down

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:21 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Engine Tear down

I am getting ready to work on my combustion chambers. To do that I need to set it on a 300 block and scribe the bore onto the head so I can open the chambers to that line.

I just happen to have a spare engine in my garage. It failed early, oil psi dropped steady to 4 psi with in 500 miles. I paid a down-on-his-luck mechanic friend to build it. He arrived each day with a 12 pack.

I have been avoiding it for years. Now I have to break it down so I can get up through the bores to scribe. While in it I plan to search for the cause.

Besides looking for the obvious, does anyone have any suggestions?

Today I ordered efi mannies from ebay. Now I need the dual down pipes from an efi, pipes and muffler. I have just about everything else for the porting, ridge removal, etc. I thought I'd train by gasket matching the efi's to gasket and smoothing them out a bit.

Funny: Ordering Quadrajet parts I spoke to the QJ guru. He mentioned that if using a base plate from a turbo carb, the vacuum that operates the power piston and holds the m.rod in the jet to regulate flow, does not go through. Oh crap! Of course I let on as though I knew that. I miss the days of joyous ignorance when rebuilding a carb meant cleaning and setting the float level and putting it together.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:10 PM
78F150TX
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking forward to following your progress and picking up some tips.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:35 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
I am getting ready to work on my combustion chambers. To do that I need to set it on a 300 block and scribe the bore onto the head so I can open the chambers to that line.

I just happen to have a spare engine in my garage. It failed early, oil psi dropped steady to 4 psi with in 500 miles. I paid a down-on-his-luck mechanic friend to build it. He arrived each day with a 12 pack.

I have been avoiding it for years. Now I have to break it down so I can get up through the bores to scribe. While in it I plan to search for the cause.

Besides looking for the obvious, does anyone have any suggestions?

Today I ordered efi mannies from ebay. Now I need the dual down pipes from an efi, pipes and muffler. I have just about everything else for the porting, ridge removal, etc. I thought I'd train by gasket matching the efi's to gasket and smoothing them out a bit.

Funny: Ordering Quadrajet parts I spoke to the QJ guru. He mentioned that if using a base plate from a turbo carb, the vacuum that operates the power piston and holds the m.rod in the jet to regulate flow, does not go through. Oh crap! Of course I let on as though I knew that. I miss the days of joyous ignorance when rebuilding a carb meant cleaning and setting the float level and putting it together.

You have already ordered EFI manifolds, but when I saw this [see link], your project came to mind and I thought this photo might give you some useful ideas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-300-4-9-inline-six-EFI-exhaust-manifolds-and-down-pipe-/331441581871?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2b752f2f&vxp=mtr

Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Thanks for the heads up. That looks like it's in very nice shape. I paid $90 total for mine, w/o the pipes. I should be able to find a set at the j/y. I see them there often. The trick, when welding exhaust pipes, is to use gas.

My first thought when I saw how the pipes were wrapped was: This guy has had heat issues with headers before. The cooler the air going into the carb, the more power and hopefully mpg. Although I don't see the pipe as needed with a cool air intake/filter.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:23 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had an exhaust shop fab up the entire exhaust from the manifolds back. Gives you more flexibility to do whatever you want, especially retrofitting into an older vehicle that may have the frame, etc. in a different spot vs. an '81 and up.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:43 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BaronVonAutomatc
I had an exhaust shop fab up the entire exhaust from the manifolds back.
BVA--Can I ask how much you paid for that? Did you supply any of the parts, muffler(s), pipe, y pipe, x pipe, tip? And how did you have it done? single or dual? And how do you like the results.

I must say I do like the idea having it done. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:39 PM
dylansf23
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm waiting on my muffler to come in but I'm going to go headers2.5" x pipe to a thrush welded muffler dual in single out with 3" and then a tbd length of straight pipe and then down turn. I'll let you know price.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:14 PM
BaronVonAutomatc
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Geez, it's been almost ten years but I think I paid ~$300. I drove the Bronco to the exhaust shop with open headers and a muffler in the seat next to me, that's it. Two 2" downpipes merge into a single 2.5" pipe (I would go 3" if I did it again).

The original muffler I used was a Powerstick chambered pipe which was sweet around town (sounded like an old, souped up Jaguar) but skull rattling on the highway. Got a 18" L x 6" round Magnaflow now and it's much nicer.

I just paid $250 to have a shop run a 3" pipe from the head pipes back on the '96 F150 - brought them a 3-way cat and Magnaflow muffler and they supplied the y-pipe and 3" tubing, so total cost ~$400.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:37 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dylansf23
I'm waiting on my muffler to come in but I'm going to go headers2.5" x pipe to a thrush welded muffler dual in single out with 3" and then a tbd length of straight pipe and then down turn. I'll let you know price.
That sounds like a nice set up. I'm still kicking around true duals with 2.25" pipe. I can get the tail pipes from Summit for under $15 ea, exiting at passenger rear corner, and an X pipe for about $70, and Summit turbo mufflers for $30 ea.

I got my efi's yesterday. I specified I did not want the Spectre new ones, but oem stamped Ford, FoMoCo. I'm surprised by the semi-smooth condition of the ports, and by flow characteristics. They are nice. I also really like the AFR ports. They came in one of those 'if it fits, it ships' boxes from Post Office. It was in tatters, ha ha. Now I'm looking at bbq paint for them, or the bake on type from Por 15.

While fodling the efi mannies, a solution for the heat soak carb problem would be to drill 4-6 one inch holes through the hood and install a scoop that opens toward the windshield. I keep the sexy header, heat is vented and carb works (hopefully) perfect, and I'm left with $90 set of mannies! And I redo exhaust to duals anyway.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
That sounds like a nice set up. I'm still kicking around true duals with 2.25" pipe. I can get the tail pipes from Summit for under $15 ea, exiting at passenger rear corner, and an X pipe for about $70, and Summit turbo mufflers for $30 ea.

I got my efi's yesterday. I specified I did not want the Spectre new ones, but oem stamped Ford, FoMoCo. I'm surprised by the semi-smooth condition of the ports, and by flow characteristics. They are nice. I also really like the AFR ports. They came in one of those 'if it fits, it ships' boxes from Post Office. It was in tatters, ha ha. Now I'm looking at bbq paint for them, or the bake on type from Por 15.

While fodling the efi mannies, a solution for the heat soak carb problem would be to drill 4-6 one inch holes through the hood and install a scoop that opens toward the windshield. I keep the sexy header, heat is vented and carb works (hopefully) perfect, and I'm left with $90 set of mannies! And I redo exhaust to duals anyway.
Kick a$$!! Pictures F250 pictures!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:53 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fordboy300
Kick a$$!! Pictures F250 pictures!

Pure speculation at this point, but was imagining something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Street-Scene-Hood-Scoop-Pro-Stock-Style-Bond-On-Gelcoat-Fiberglass-Universal-EA-/331396724339?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d28c8b673&vxp=mtr
I'd really hate to do it and still have the problem! Also ... a scoop with an I6? I feel like I should start wearing short sleeve collar shirts with a pocket liner and three pens. But, hey, if it works, and I keep my sexy header ... then heck with 'em! Could I drive in the rain with that scoop turned backwards? Would it vent enough? Ideal would one that is the length of the engine.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:18 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Pure speculation at this point, but was imagining something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Street-Scene-Hood-Scoop-Pro-Stock-Style-Bond-On-Gelcoat-Fiberglass-Universal-EA-/331396724339?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d28c8b673&vxp=mtr
I'd really hate to do it and still have the problem! Also ... a scoop with an I6? I feel like I should start wearing short sleeve collar shirts with a pocket liner and three pens. But, hey, if it works, and I keep my sexy header ... then heck with 'em! Could I drive in the rain with that scoop turned backwards? Would it vent enough? Ideal would one that is the length of the engine.

Oh boy! I thinks it's my turn to slap you with a yard stick! Haha. I thought you had got efi mannies?? I understand you want to keep your header...I wanted to put mine back on too but you know what I'm gonna keep my efi mannies they haven't gave me any issues and mine also have the ports for the AFR when I go to install the C series and the other holley.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:59 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fordboy300
Oh boy! I thinks it's my turn to slap you with a yard stick! Haha. I thought you had got efi mannies?? I understand you want to keep your header...I wanted to put mine back on too but you know what I'm gonna keep my efi mannies they haven't gave me any issues and mine also have the ports for the AFR when I go to install the C series and the other holley.
Laughing, okay, you kill joy. I probably should go with the efi's. I don't know it the scoop would solve the problem with the heat or create a new one with water. I'd hate to have to buy a new hood. But tell me, probably forgot, why are you going to a C?

Old 01-10-2015, 06:23 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Laughing, okay, you kill joy. I probably should go with the efi's. I don't know it the scoop would solve the problem with the heat or create a new one with water. I'd hate to have to buy a new hood. But tell me, probably forgot, why are you going to a C?

Well I was at swap meet/car show looking for a Holley 465 and I saw a couple manifolds this guy had they were all clean and my eye crossed when I saw he had a c-series it was a sign I wasn't gonna leave without it. The guy wanted 260 my girlfriend sister in law and I talked him down and he settled for 200 dollars. About a month later I found a Holley 465 off a tbird on eBay. Rebuilt it now I can't wait to install every thing.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:31 PM
dylansf23
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ceramic coated my headers and powder coated my intake and after an hour half drive (open headers) it steamed the water off my hood and my headers were cold after ten minutes of sitting(air temp was about 50 and I've got a 1in spacer.)

Quick Reply: Engine Tear down