Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Leaning pretty hard towards the 4r100HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,755 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Sounds good except the magnefine. I say that because I had a plastic housing filter come apart on me within the 15 miles after my build and I almost burned up my trans. Post #60 in my tran build thread with photo. Freak thing but I will never trust plastic housing ever again. I would go with a spin on filter or at least a metal housing filter.

I'm not sure if I asked you this but how did that housing "come apart?"

Did it unscrew? The drip in your photo is literally where the threads in the housing halves are, in order to put the magnet and filter inside. Is it possible that new rubber transmission line that became "helixed" during the routing and installation, and once it the other end was attached, the stored torsional energy in the "twisted" hose released itself once the fluid became warm, unscrewing the housing halves?

Or did it crack? From being hit by steering linkage?

You say you'd only want a metal external filter... does that mean you think your Magnefine sustained impact damage?

I'm just throwing up wild guesses here, because while your photo is EXCELLENT, especially considering the duress you were under, your explanation is summed up as follows: it leaked, it dam near took out my BIG PROJECT, it's outta here!

I still run a Magnefine, purchased from Ford. I've learned to be a little suspicious of some Raybestoes branded parts, as the brand name has been co-opted by Chinese knock off parts, sold under the "Raybestoes" name to make people think of they are from a legacy American car part brand. Not so much nowadays.

When anyone buys a Magnefine filter, it is important to remove the paper label around the circumference, to see what is embossed into the plastic housing itself. A genuine Magnefine will have Magnefine's logo and "Made in Australia" embossed into the plastic, even if the wrapparound label has a Ford part number on it.

Because the housing is plastic, and because the barrel of the housing is threaded and in line with the hoses, I was concerned about impact damage, as well as any induced torque applied from twisted (but not kinked) transmission lines that could try to relax themselves by sending their torsional energy through to the threads of the Magnefine housing.

To mitigate these concerns, I used metal lines as much as possible, with only very short runs of rubber to and from the filter, just enough to absorb vibration. Finally, I was concerned about the line supporting the weight of the housing, so I made a bracket that clips around the housing, right where that label is.

rIMG 0695 Ford In Line Transmission Filter XC3Z-7B155-BA

rIMG 0694 Protection plate for Ford In Line Transmission Filter mounted on passenger side frame rail front. View from underneath.

rIMG 0691 Protection plate for Ford In Line Transmission Filter mounted on passenger side frame rail front. View from side.

I haven't had a problem in 14 years of using Magnefine filters on my transmission line with this mounting system as shown above. However, I have depleted my stock of filters, and before buying any more of them, am considering some spin on alternatives, so the topic is of continual interest.

Anyone installing an HD4R100 would do well to install some type of external filteration. Ford used to require the Magnefine to be installed with the HD4R100 in order to maintain the 3/36 warranty. Now I don't think Ford requires or even recommends the Magnefine anymore, and only requires a new transmission cooler.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll chime in here and mention that the 4R100HD in my rig has allegedly lasted 100k miles before I bought the truck and is still going strong.

Worth mentioning, my rig was a ranch truck that had 307k on it when I bought it. Despite looking nice and rust free on the outside, the previous owner had cracked both heads and torn the skirt off of the #8 piston. Which I knew I was getting into a project since it ran like a washing machine with a boulder in it.

All of that is fixed now and the trans is being babied with a 6.0L trans cooler and Magnefine filter.

EDIT: I should mention, one of the reasons I did buy my truck was because of the Ford reman sticker still on the trans and the Ford re-branded Magnefine at the front.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:14 AM
River19
Elder User
I could of sworn a couple months ago JW had something available for about $3-4K capable of 350-400hp or something; priced below the towmaster....now it looks like only the towmaster and up are available and the towmaster is now $5000 as of 1/1/15.

So anyone want to divulge roughly what the HD runs from a Ford dealer?

Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 AM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by River19
I could of sworn a couple months ago JW had something available for about $3-4K capable of 350-400hp or something; priced below the towmaster....now it looks like only the towmaster and up are available and the towmaster is now $5000 as of 1/1/15.

So anyone want to divulge roughly what the HD runs from a Ford dealer?
I paid 3761. with 6% Idaho tax….with torque converter…..I ordered it yesterday, It will be in boise today

Last edited by brushfit; 01-07-2015 at 07:49 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-07-2015, 07:54 AM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by Dave7.3
I'll chime in here and mention that the 4R100HD in my rig has allegedly lasted 100k miles before I bought the truck and is still going strong.

Worth mentioning, my rig was a ranch truck that had 307k on it when I bought it. Despite looking nice and rust free on the outside, the previous owner had cracked both heads and torn the skirt off of the #8 piston. Which I knew I was getting into a project since it ran like a washing machine with a boulder in it.

All of that is fixed now and the trans is being babied with a 6.0L trans cooler and Magnefine filter.

EDIT: I should mention, one of the reasons I did buy my truck was because of the Ford reman sticker still on the trans and the Ford re-branded Magnefine at the front.
Are you running the 6.0 cooler AND the oil to water cooler?

Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I'm not sure if I asked you this but how did that housing "come apart?"

Did it unscrew? The drip in your photo is literally where the threads in the housing halves are, in order to put the magnet and filter inside. Is it possible that new rubber transmission line that became "helixed" during the routing and installation, and once it the other end was attached, the stored torsional energy in the "twisted" hose released itself once the fluid became warm, unscrewing the housing halves?

Or did it crack? From being hit by steering linkage?

You say you'd only want a metal external filter... does that mean you think your Magnefine sustained impact damage?

I'm just throwing up wild guesses here, because while your photo is EXCELLENT, especially considering the duress you were under, your explanation is summed up as follows: it leaked, it dam near took out my BIG PROJECT, it's outta here!

I still run a Magnefine, purchased from Ford. I've learned to be a little suspicious of some Raybestoes branded parts, as the brand name has been co-opted by Chinese knock off parts, sold under the "Raybestoes" name to make people think of they are from a legacy American car part brand. Not so much nowadays.

When anyone buys a Magnefine filter, it is important to remove the paper label around the circumference, to see what is embossed into the plastic housing itself. A genuine Magnefine will have Magnefine's logo and "Made in Australia" embossed into the plastic, even if the wrapparound label has a Ford part number on it.

Because the housing is plastic, and because the barrel of the housing is threaded and in line with the hoses, I was concerned about impact damage, as well as any induced torque applied from twisted (but not kinked) transmission lines that could try to relax themselves by sending their torsional energy through to the threads of the Magnefine housing.

To mitigate these concerns, I used metal lines as much as possible, with only very short runs of rubber to and from the filter, just enough to absorb vibration. Finally, I was concerned about the line supporting the weight of the housing, so I made a bracket that clips around the housing, right where that label is.

I haven't had a problem in 14 years of using Magnefine filters on my transmission line with this mounting system as shown above. However, I have depleted my stock of filters, and before buying any more of them, am considering some spin on alternatives, so the topic is of continual interest.

Anyone installing an HD4R100 would do well to install some type of external filteration. Ford used to require the Magnefine to be installed with the HD4R100 in order to maintain the 3/36 warranty. Now I don't think Ford requires or even recommends the Magnefine anymore, and only requires a new transmission cooler.
Y2K you have made some really great points here! The reason I used that type in the first place is because of testimonials like yours. But like I said it was a freak thing and I have only heard of a couple others breaking over the years and in most cases it was due to old age that they crack or start to leak. But in my case the filter wasn't cracked it just looked like it blow the top off the filter without anything damaged to the threads. I double checked to make sure I had installed it correctly and am pretty sure it wasn't torsional energy. Nothing hit it. It could have just been a Chinese knock off. Honestly I have no idea to what could have caused it??
Now I have heard many guys have great luck with these filters but for me it just left a nasty taste in my mouth. Could have been the ATF that dripped in my mouth when removing it. LOL So since then I gathered up all the parts to do a spin on ATF filter with magnets like Springer POP has I just haven't gotten around to installing it.

I do believe any exterior mounted trans filter is a good idea for any new trans.
Originally Posted by brushfit
I paid 3761. with 6% Idaho tax….with torque converter…..I ordered it yesterday, It will be in boise today
I am sure you will be happy with the HD4R100. Make sure you get all the lines cleaned out and do not reuse the old trans cooler. I think the HD4R100, 6.0 trans cooler, trans temp gauge and a exterior mounted trans filter you will be good for many miles to come.
Just be kind to your new investment.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 AM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Thanks Ed, I've got the 6.0 cooler installed, I've got the oil to water cooler flushed out with a product the Ford Store recommends,KOOLER KLEEN..and as of 11:30 sunday night the trans is in and bolted up…just need to bolt up the transfer case and …you know the rest

Old 01-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Thanks Ed, I've got the 6.0 cooler installed, I've got the oil to water cooler flushed out with a product the Ford Store recommends,KOOLER KLEEN..and as of 11:30 sunday night the trans is in and bolted up…just need to bolt up the transfer case and …you know the rest
Glad to hear you are getting it together, if you haven't finished it up already. Hope you can enjoy at least a few hundred thousand trouble free miles out of it.

Also, to answer your question from a while ago...
Are you running the 6.0 cooler AND the oil to water cooler?
Yes sir!

Towing light this past summer with it never pushed my trans temp past 145F.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:02 PM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Thanks Dave7.3, I was on the fence with the otw cooler, but it came out very clean, and put a ford inline trans filter after the coolers for extra protection..so far so,AWESOME…

Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Dave7.3
Elder User
Thanks Dave7.3, I was on the fence with the otw cooler, but it came out very clean, and put a ford inline trans filter after the coolers for extra protection..so far so,AWESOME…
I know how you feel, I was skeptical about keeping the OTW cooler too. However, after reading the horror stories from E'99-'00 trucks that didn't have them, I opted to keep it. Just made sure the radiator shop cleaned and tested it.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:39 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the Spin On Filter is the way to go. There is a lot more surface material to trap contaminates while not restricting flow. Plus, you just unscrew it and screw another on @ 10k miles for about $5.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:31 AM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Originally Posted by whitetmw

IMO the Spin On Filter is the way to go. There is a lot more surface material to trap contaminates while not restricting flow. Plus, you just unscrew it and screw another on @ 10k miles for about $5.
Dang, that is a nice set-up…where you pick that up