1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

risks of steering gear box adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 05:28 PM
JNG6
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
risks of steering gear box adjustment?

My 2000 f250 7.3 has pretty sloppy steering and noise in the front end when going over bumps. I have replace the drop links, swap bar bushings, both wheel hubs including new seals and the drag link. The rest of the front end seems to be in good shape. I put it up on jack stands and there is some movement in the front end but it seems to all be in the steering box. Steering box appears to be original with 220k miles. I went to tighten it and it appears the PO did it at least once already.

Is it safe to try tightening it again? Does tightening it increase the risk of failure? I'd like to try tightening it first but not at the risk of losing steering at 65mph with my kids in the truck. Thanks!

Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't see it as a problem as long as you only make minor adjustments to tighten it. Adjust it a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and lock it down and test. Do not over tighten the adjuster. Just snug it and then back of 1/8 turn.

I would not go over one to two turns. If you go that far, you might end up with steering problems of jerking and darting. And if you need to adjust it that much, it is pretty worn and needs replaced with new/rebuilt unit.

Just my humble opinion.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Husky44
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
I don't see it as a problem as long as you only make minor adjustments to tighten it. Adjust it a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and lock it down and test. Do not over tighten the adjuster. Just snug it and then back of 1/8 turn.

I would not go over one to two turns. If you go that far, you might end up with steering problems of jerking and darting. And if you need to adjust it that much, it is pretty worn and needs replaced with new/rebuilt unit.

Just my humble opinion.
Good advice here. FWIW, I would suspect that you've gotten all the useful life you're going to get out of that box. Start saving for a replacement.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:47 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Agreed^^^^^^^^

Old 01-03-2015, 07:15 PM
JNG6
Mountain Pass
Are there any good options for a new or remanufactured steering box besides redhead. I really don't want to waste time or money on a cheap remanufactured box that just had seals replaced.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Ford has it. Not sure if new or rebuilt. would suspect rebuilt

STEERING GEAR for 2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty|YC3Z-3504-ABRM

Advance has one reman by Cardone.

Cardone Power Steering Gear - Remanufactured 27-7569: Choose the best Steering Gear Box at Advance Auto Parts

Most of the Cardone has limit lifetime warranty. Redhead is only 12 month warranty.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:01 PM
JNG6
Mountain Pass
I went with the cardone from advance auto. $150 for unit plus fluid and a 34mm socket. So far I'm really happy. Thanks everyone for your help and input!

FYI.....the case of the remanufactured gear was cast with "Ford". I found that interesting.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:53 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by JNG6
Are there any good options for a new or remanufactured steering box besides redhead. I really don't want to waste time or money on a cheap remanufactured box that just had seals replaced.
So are you saying Redhead just replaces the seals, cleans and paints their 'rebuilds'???

Old 01-09-2015, 05:39 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1
So are you saying Redhead just replaces the seals, cleans and paints their 'rebuilds'???
For almost $600, their reman process is a bit over priced for what their website says they do....or so i think

Red-Head Steering Gears - Steering Gear Re-Manufacturing in USA

Old 01-09-2015, 05:57 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My past experience with other vehicles has been that steering boxes typically only need adjustment when they have already started wearing out. The gear sectors are only surface hardened as to harden them all the way through makes them brittle. Once you wear away that hardened surface, you're wear rate will increase exponentially. Don't expect a box that has had to have been adjusted to last as long as it initially did. Particularly if you are running oversized tires or like to turn the wheels while the vehicle is stationary (hard on pavement, tires and steering components)...

Old 01-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
For almost $600, their reman process is a bit over priced for what their website says they do....or so i think

Red-Head Steering Gears - Steering Gear Re-Manufacturing in USA
I hear what you say but.....that doesn't answer my question, do you or anyone else here know if they DO what they say? or just replace seals and squirt paint? If they do what they say the $446.00 after core return isn't such a bad deal but if the only 'sray and pray' it's a major ripoff and the need to be brought to task for the fraudulent ad....jmho

Old 01-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1
I hear what you say but.....that doesn't answer my question, do you or anyone else here know if they DO what they say? or just replace seals and squirt paint? If they do what they say the $446.00 after core return isn't such a bad deal but if the only 'sray and pray' it's a major ripoff and the need to be brought to task for the fraudulent ad....jmho
Why pay $446 plus shipping for their units and 12 months warranty when you can acquire one from local parts house for $150 and a few bucks for gas/diesel and it has lifetime warranty irregardless of either's reman process?

I suspect their reman process is similar to any of the other companies. Disassemble, clean, inspect, replace wearable/consumable items (recircualting ***** and cage, seals, bearings/bushings, grease, etc), measure for critical tolerances, replace worn items as required, reassemble with new wearable/consumable items and paint as needed. Also, does either one do any NDT (non-destructive testing) such as dye penetration or x-ray or magnefluxing?

Redhead did say they replace bushings with needle bears where they machine to fit. I am aware that many older Ford units had needle bearings at the base of the worm gear already. Would make dumb assumption they still do this even today.

jmho that the locally purchased unit would be more cost effective in the long haul. All too often we get caught up in the hype of someone's repairs and stories and don't do our own investigations or research.

Added foot note....expensive does not always equate to better....will get off soap box now....hahaha

Old 01-09-2015, 07:48 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
When I bought my Red Head steering box the price at the time even with shipping was not all that much more than a national rebuilder that you can get at any parts store. It seems though in the mean time the prices have gone up. I have been very happy with the quality and performance of mine but if I had to buy one today I would have to think it over much more.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:27 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Why pay $446 plus shipping for their units and 12 months warranty when you can acquire one from local parts house for $150 and a few bucks for gas/diesel and it has lifetime warranty irregardless of either's reman process?

I suspect their reman process is similar to any of the other companies. Disassemble, clean, inspect, replace wearable/consumable items (recircualting ***** and cage, seals, bearings/bushings, grease, etc), measure for critical tolerances, replace worn items as required, reassemble with new wearable/consumable items and paint as needed. Also, does either one do any NDT (non-destructive testing) such as dye penetration or x-ray or magnefluxing?

Redhead did say they replace bushings with needle bears where they machine to fit. I am aware that many older Ford units had needle bearings at the base of the worm gear already. Would make dumb assumption they still do this even today.

jmho that the locally purchased unit would be more cost effective in the long haul. All too often we get caught up in the hype of someone's repairs and stories and don't do our own investigations or research.

Added foot note....expensive does not always equate to better....will get off soap box now....hahaha
What I have been saying all along^ and if you read carefully they say that they say occasionally they save a case that never had a bushing originally and is worn but how often does this happen and it would be to their advantage to save the case anyway. All hype to make it sound like they are doing something different. Also, they all grind the screw and add bigger ***** or replace with new. They advertise perfect size *****, but lets hope so

Old 01-09-2015, 10:28 AM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Monster-4
When I bought my Red Head steering box the price at the time even with shipping was not all that much more than a national rebuilder that you can get at any parts store. It seems though in the mean time the prices have gone up. I have been very happy with the quality and performance of mine but if I had to buy one today I would have to think it over much more.
More hype>more people pay>price goes up.

Quick Reply: risks of steering gear box adjustment?