Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

odd problem; FSS and glow plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:42 PM
zloetakoe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
odd problem; FSS and glow plugs?

don't know if this is all related, but it seems odd that suddenly nothing is working.

So I started the truck about 30 minutes ago, it started fine and the glow plugs were working. Then, I drove about half a block and it died on me. I had JUST BEFORE starting this morning wired the FSS wiring to the electric fuel pump and it was working fine. I also noticed that the "wait to start" light was on as the truck was dying.

Now, the glow plugs will not come on, at least there is no noticeable difference in the voltage (I have a manual glow plug button by the way which has worked well so far). The "wait to start" light stays on as long as the ignition is on.

Also, The wire going to the FSS is still getting current because I can get the fuel pump to run when the FSS wire is not hooked up to the spade. BUT,as soon the FSS wire makes connection to the spade, the fuel pump shuts off. Odd??? Truck will not start which I assume is due to the FSS not functioning, but why would the fuel pump run before wire is attached to the FSS and not after???

Thanks for any help, I need to get truck moved as it died right in front of a stop sign and is blocking traffic up a little on our street.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:18 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Run a jumper wire straight from the battery and see if the FSS clicks on and if the truck will run. Did you wire it to a relay or straight to the fuel pump?

Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM
zloetakoe
Senior User
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy7
Run a jumper wire straight from the battery and see if the FSS clicks on and if the truck will run. Did you wire it to a relay or straight to the fuel pump?
Runs to a relay

I like the jumper idea, and have considered it, but since the pump will run when the pump wire is attached to the FSS wire, shouldn't that mean the FSS is getting current? I would guess that would mean the solenoid is bad? I don't hear anything clicking when I attach the spade connection at the FSS currently.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^^^ This is why you run the jumper as a test. If the jumper allows the FSS to fire and allows the engine to start, there's something wrong with the way you've ganged the FSS and e-pump in the same circuit. If the jumper wire stilll shuts down the e-pump and the engine still doesn't start, then either the batteries are weak and you're losing voltage, or there's something amiss with the FSS; maybe it's shorting to ground, or just pulling way too much current.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:11 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sounds like you wired up your relay wrong and blew a fuse......well it doesn't sound it.i know this is what happened lol.
you want to open the under hood fuse panel and replace the blown fuse.........after you rewire the relay.

so you hook up your e-pump like this:

so look at your relay.
hook up a ground to chassis (or - battery post) to pin #85
the pigtail you ran off the FSS to pin #86 (this way it's not used to draw off of.it simply tells pins #30 and #87 to "connect" is all.)
run a wire with a built in fuse (5 amp) to pin #30
hook up your fuel pump's + (red wire) to pin # 87
(run the negative wire on the fuel pump to chassis ground/hook to pin #85 - whichever is easier.)

replace blown fuse in PDB for gp relay/fss turn the key to run,you'll hear the pump run and she'll start right up.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:32 PM
zloetakoe
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
sounds like you wired up your relay wrong and blew a fuse......well it doesn't sound it.i know this is what happened lol.
you want to open the under hood fuse panel and replace the blown fuse.........after you rewire the relay.

so you hook up your e-pump like this:

so look at your relay.
hook up a ground to chassis (or - battery post) to pin #85
the pigtail you ran off the FSS to pin #86 (this way it's not used to draw off of.it simply tells pins #30 and #87 to "connect" is all.)
run a wire with a built in fuse (5 amp) to pin #30
hook up your fuel pump's + (red wire) to pin # 87
(run the negative wire on the fuel pump to chassis ground/hook to pin #85 - whichever is easier.)

replace blown fuse in PDB for gp relay/fss turn the key to run,you'll hear the pump run and she'll start right up.
sweet. i'll go get the truck and start some diagnosing. I thought I had that relay hooked up correctly... sounds like something is amiss though...

THANKS FOR THE HELP EVERYONE!

Update: well, that must be it. I actually ran a wire from battery to FSS (definite click), then jumpered the fuel pump to battery so it was running. Everything worked as it should and it fired right up. Always interesting to shut the key ignition off and have your truck still running... I'll be sure to check the relay wiring/fuse and report back. Thank again for the help.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:34 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
yeah you'll find a couple need to be swapped is all.no biggie.you'll have her fixed in a jiffy.
looks like you'll find your blown fuse in the top left.20 amp.