6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

None too happy with Ford/ESP right now

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
I've seen trucks including utility trucks with mud caked up under the truck like you wouldn't believe and never heard of warranty denial because of this when performing drivetrain work.... Plus I never heard of a catastrophic front end failure by just going off road or of any type of driving as this front suspension has been very reliable... I do know that you could get charged extra $$$ to remove certain aftermarket equipment or clean up the truck in order for it to be fit to work on, but this story doesn't make much sense.
I'm in the same boat. Something is missing here.

Signs of abuse would most certainly be flagged and denied warranty work. However, having mud isn't one of them.

There's more to the story that we haven't heard yet.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 PM
claycomotrucks1991
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call ford HQ in Dearborn and talk to them yourself , see what happens then go from there!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Interesting... You can't make it out of the dealer parking lot without getting mud on the bottom of the truck.

The concerns me, because for the first time I have to use to 4x4 ALOT around here and I bought premium care ESP as well.

At least you had full coverage to cover it - unlike the person with the 100,481 on the motor and it went...

Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Don't the advertisements always show trucks driving up the sides of granite cliffs and waving to mountain goats and stuff?

Old 01-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
I play with rock cralwers and spend a fair amount of time in Moab. D60's are the axle to have when running big hp and big tires.

Busting D60 components with stock or nearly stock rubber in mud is a little hard to believe. Something is missing here...

Adam

Old 01-03-2015, 02:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster9
Don't the advertisements always show trucks driving up the sides of granite cliffs and waving to mountain goats and stuff?

Uh oh.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another member's truck in the photo below::

Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

I've never heard of a balljoint failure on one of these. Getting worn out and sloppy yes, but never to the point where the wheel came off. That includes all those running around with huge tires that place a lot more load on the suspension system and axles.

Either you hit something really hard with your truck and sheared off a joint, or a freak manufacturing defect just happened to strike when you were driving off road. You may well be telling the truth, but with the odds of this happening I know what I would believe if I were your service manager. At this point I'd just file a claim with your insurance company and call it a day.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

I've never heard of a balljoint failure on one of these. Getting worn out and sloppy yes, but never to the point where the wheel came off. That includes all those running around with huge tires that place a lot more load on the suspension system and axles.

Either you hit something really hard with your truck and sheared off a joint, or a freak manufacturing defect just happened to strike when you were driving off road. You may well be telling the truth, but with the odds of this happening I know what I would believe if I were your service manager. At this point I'd just file a claim with your insurance company and call it a day.
Does the Prius even have ball joints??? Haha. I wouldn't doubt Chuck guys, not one that would lie about this. Also he is upset about his warranty being denied. Had he washed the truck before it was taken in there stands a chance it would have been covered. Its why I have the Geico MBI instead of the extended warranty.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 AM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. That is a crazy story. Could you describe exactly what happened. I've owned 3 of the Dana 60 equipped F-250s. A 05,12, and a 13. Between the three I've put 461,000 miles on under heavy work conditions. Part of my job is towing a 5k trailer while hauling 3k in the bed off road to cell tower sites. The hardest wear and tear I've put on them is accessing 220 sites 3 times a year in the Mtns of West Virginia for the last 5 years. Usually these roads are washed out rutted and in overall horrible shape while being under engineered and steep. A usual practice of mine is pulling off the pavement, putting her in 4low locking the diff, and looking at my help and saying "Ford should be paying me for promo videos". The only Carnage I've managed to do to a dana 60 was exploding a Ujoint and dickering the axle shaft in the process. I also folded up the front driveshaft and put it into the floor board. Both of these issues happened on my '05 with over 250,000 miles on it at the time. Out of all those miles I replaced 1 ball joint between the 3 trucks.

These OEM balljoints are tough and any Dodge fanboy would sell his firstborn for such a freak of mechanical nature. So with that I say you either hit an IED in the mud or you had a very rare mechanical failure. If that failure happened as you stated Ford should probably drop the tough guy act with their commercials and instead video the Superduty with a bed full of packing peanuts running over pillow top speedbumps. If I wanted a pickup I would have bought a Dodge but due to the abusive nature of my work I needed a truck. In my opinion that D60 is boss minus the Death wobble which I've always cured with a $100 billstein steering dampener. Good luck with your insurance claim I hope it goes smoothly.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
Superduty450
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Hmmm, valids that I have bumper to bumper on my insurance vs ford ESP.

I do have 250 deductible...but do have rental and towing and all.

Good thing is I know what my out of pocket will be.
What kind of insurance? if you don't mind me asking

Old 01-04-2015, 03:49 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Guys....I'm not trying to "win anyone over" here, that's not gonna do any good at this point...nor am I blasting from the mountain tops "don't give ford any of your money buying an ESP warranty."

I'm relating my experience, that's all. Like I told the pencil neck "supervisor" : "so because the failure I experienced isn't an everyday occurrence, it CAN'T have happened?" I've got enough mechanical years in my life to know that's not the case. There's a first time for everything....

The warning, I'll repeat again, because these were almost their words verbatim: "do NOT submit your truck for warranty repair and leave any indication that you were using it in the manner we've seen it advertised as capable of, and in which its touted as to be sold and used." It just gives them an easy weasily way out of the contract.

I went through warranty first even tho I have full coverage because I was mistakenly led to believe that what I was doing was well within the trucks capabilities. As Matt said, if I had known some buildup of thick louisiana mud was grounds for them to deny my claim I sure would've cleaned it off. That's what I'm suggesting future readers to do.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:02 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Superduty450
What kind of insurance? if you don't mind me asking

Geico. When you buy a newer or within 12K miles new (I think) you can get it added to your insurance.

covers everything except normal maintance items.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:55 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
So, maybe Ford should include the definition of "Superduty" in the warranty information. I live 1 1/2 miles down a dirt road, so my truck almost always has mud cake in the undercarriage.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:03 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
an upper or lower or both ball joints in my RF suspension failed, leading to catastrophic suspension, drivetrain (front axle), and body damage.
Any picture of the body damage? That's the part of this thread that I would hate the most. Can fix the underside mechanicals easy enough. If your truck is tuxedo black metallic, might be tricky to match, wouldn't want any local dealer around me doing any body work on my truck. Wouldn't want a local dealer of any kind doing body work on my truck even if the truck was flat black.

Quick Reply: None too happy with Ford/ESP right now