Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Strange oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 10:44 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange oil leak

So, I spend so much time fixing others trucks that I have grossly neglected my own. My wife's excursion has been suffering from the limpy gimpy stumble for a while and I have been putting it off till now.

The truck would start fine, then loose power and stumble then die unless you let it sit there and idle and warm up for a few minutes. Our solution to kick the can down the road was to just let it warm up and then carry on with life. It would run fine all day till it sets overnight. It recently got worse so I was forced to address it. My first thoughts, HPOP resevoir draining down. Possible anti drainback valve or LPOP getting weak/bad pressure relief.

In the process of looking at all this I see oil in the valley. Unplug the IPR sensor and there is oil in the connector. I assume the IPR sensor is on its way out, and turbo pedestal o-rings are probably leaking becuase the oil is collected to the rear of the valley not the front. Replaced IPR sensor out of prudence. No change in cold start driveability. Made preparations to address the turbo pedestal when i do the injector o-rings - that discussion follows

Also pull the fuel filter and find it is blacker than usual. Decide it is probably injector o-rings leaking oil into the fuel since when i pull the plug on the HPOP resevoir and crank it oil goes flying - LPOP works fine. HPOP seems to be working since it does run fine - eventually. IPR valve was replaced less than 20k ago so i doubt it is that.

The reason i am posting here is because during the r&r on the injector o-rings this weekend I see there is an exceptionally large amount of oil on the shaft from the turbo butterfly valve. I see no oil coming from the EBPV shaft area.

There should be no way for oil to be leaking from the butterfly shaft unless it is coming from within the turbo. I haven't gotten to tearing out the turbo yet, but from experience a failure like this would he highly irregular. Most times I would look towards a blockage in the CCV system causing back pressure, but this truck is 100% stock. Not so much as an aftermarket cup holder and I have yet to see a stock CCV that got blocked. Most blockages are from CCV mods that went wrong.

I did notice what i would consider to be an abnormal sludge buildup around the area where the CCV ties into the intake, which i will re-examine closer tomorrow.

I was wondering if any of the experts on here have any thoughts. This one has me stumped. I hate to dig into a turbo if the problem lurks elsewhere. Trying to wrap this up quick so i can commence digging out the hatch to get ready for the Christmas journey home.

Also, only one bank of o-rings replaced and the excursion already runs better than it has in a long time. Still need to lick that oil leak though.

-Mike

2002 Excursion diesel - 2wd, total stock.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:29 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
How many miles on the Ex? Has the element in the CCV doghouse ever been cleaned? I pulled mine apart once and cleaned it though it was in pretty good shape. I can't say this is your problem exactly, but maybe worth a look.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:42 AM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the valley is made sloped front to rear so any leaks will drain to the rear and exit towards passenger side.Clean it up good and recheck the pedestal area.keep us poted as to what you find the problem to be

Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Mike, safe travels home for the holidays.

Are u sure it wasn't the ICP sensor you saw oil in and replaced? You mention the IPR being replaced 20K ago later on in your post.

As for the oil leak, post some pics - that would be great. clean up the valley real good with some simple green or something like that. Then after driving stuff some clean paper towels or rags in the suspected area to pinpoint the leak location. As you know , turbo O-rings are common as well as the EBPV in the back area if the valley. If it is your turbo I would think u might see some smoke out the exhaust from the oil burn or a trail down the down pipe.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:48 PM
miker67
Elder User
Posting an update.

Replaced the injector o-rings as discussed, didn't do the turbo o-rings because frankly I ran out of time and I had to hit the road so I monitored for large scale oil leak.

Drove from south Louisiana to St. Louis Missouri and back with no noticeable loss of oil, at least on the dip stick. Checked the EBPV shaft several times at the spot where I saw oil previously and so far I see no oil on the bottom of the EBPV shaft. I do see a small amount of oil on the EBPV actuator shaft coming from the pedestal, though the amount is trace.

No buildup of oil in the valley - yet, though there IS a distinct burnt oil smell every time I stop the truck after it gets hot.

I have been crazy busy with the holidays, hiding from the nasty weather, and catching up with work so I haven't had a chance to dig into it again, though I am leaning towards a pedestal rebuild or replacing with a non-EBPV pedestal all together.