Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

What do actual OZZIES think about the recent hostage situation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What do actual OZZIES think about the recent hostage situation?

I've seen a bit of news about it on FTE, but it seems like a bandwagon for silly comments.

I wonder...

AUSSIE posts on isolated islands were the main intelligence sources for Japanese movements during WW II. I have always held an opinion that they were a canny and courageous bunch that would never cave in to anything. And the most amazing survivors of all...

What is your "CUT" on what just happened?
How do YOU see it?

G'day

Old 12-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that if I stated my thoughts on Islam here I would get banned .

Suffice to say I am not suprised at all by what happened and am very
thankfull that the (insert expletive of choice here) was not wired with
explosives.

I wish we could rid the country of his kind entirely.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:36 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
Yes, there is a reason why the Japanese wont let Islamic people into the country and the Chinese are trying to get rid of their muslims. The philipines are finding out what happens when they reach a certain percentage of the population as well.
This is an interesting video. Politicians seem to want to be too P.C. on the subject because the want every vote they can get.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:45 AM
SSSimon
Posting Guru
Port Arthur was our worst massacre. They brought in gun control after that. Suicides and murder rates dropped greatly since. - John Howard (ex PM)'s legacy.

The Sydney event was more to do with a judge giving a murder-accessory, before & after the fact, and a serial sex offender (40 changes) bail because he didn't pose a threat to the community when perp obviously had some serious mental issues.

Sadly, recent events in Sydney have now been overshadowed by a mass killing of children in Cairns.

No simple answers in this area, some sections of the press do their best to whip up hysteria, and even though the the cold facts point toward the issue being best dealt with by doing more mental-health work locally, that option hasn't rated more than a mention.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Originally Posted by ozdatman
Yes, there is a reason why the Japanese wont let Islamic people into the country and the Chinese are trying to get rid of their muslims. The philipines are finding out what happens when they reach a certain percentage of the population as well.
This is an interesting video. Politicians seem to want to be too P.C. on the subject because the want every vote they can get.

Ben Shapiro: The Myth of the Tiny Radical Muslim Minority - YouTube
Thanks for the link.

Wish our government had the same approach as the Japanese.

It seems that the Chinese are the only ones with the ***** to
stand up to the pernicious invasion of Islam.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm on the fence. I spent a lot of time growing up in Shepparton, Vic - which I think has the highest Muslim population (as a percentage) of any area in Australia because of the easily available immigrant work picking fruit. As a result a number of my friends are Muslim.

Almost all of them were what I would call "positive contributors" to society, hard workers, and wanted to make a better life for themselves and their family, and were happy to have a peaceful environment to do it in. There were some peculiarities, like working in retail there, many Muslim men asked to be served by males only, our local pool had "Muslim women only" hours, and we caught a few of them buying sheep at the local market and butchering them out front of our farm and leaving the guts just laying there on the side of the road - those people soon learnt the full extent of the Australian vocabulary. Whenever you would be invited to their house/event they are the most hospitable people I have ever met. I'm not scared of Islam, nor its people (in general), but we need to do a better job of integrating them in our society, there are a lot of reasons why Australia is in a better position than wherever it is that they came from, and they need to understand and respect that those things should not be changed.

So in general, I don't have a problem with "Muslims". I do have a problem however with any religion/institution not outing those members that do, or are likely to do dangerous acts, and think that their religious leaders need to be much more proactive about getting these people into the hands of the authorities. And our government needs to have the ***** to ship them back.
But I could say the same thing with the Catholic Church and hiding pedophiles amongst their ranks - which I think is even more heinous than what any Muslim has done in Australia.

I personally wouldn't use China as a good example of how to do things. They also think its acceptable to come up to your house when its dark, put you in a van and putting a bullet in the back of you and your families head for saying something that the government doesn't like.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:27 AM
Patchy 73
Senior User
Mother stabbed to death 7 children and 1 niece in Cairns
proberley wont get a mention overseas, Very sad

Patchy

Old 12-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Hey Adrian, I was a Benalla boy myself (Winton North to be exact) - practically neighbours

Re the siege, I'm particularly pissed off because a good friend was one of the hostages and was used as his human shield because of her disability which meant she couldn't fight back as hard. She also copped shrapnel injuries from the copious flash-bangs the special ops Police threw in. Thankfully she didn't cop a hit from his sawn-off 12 gauge or she probably wouldn't be around today.

It's not Muslims that are the problem, it's radicalised people of whatever colour, creed or belief. This guy was a conman, fraud, sexual predator, and a flat-out gutless nut job. He pathetically tried to associate himself with stronger fear-inducing groups but he had no real ties to IS.

What this event did show up were some serious flaws with our revolving door justice system and our so-called security agencies. Our spooks are so engrossed with the "shiny stuff" - electronic monitoring (Echelon / Prism) and metadata retention that they appear to have been caught asleep at the wheel when it comes to the grass roots bread and butter grunt work.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 AM
Brad from Oz
Elder User
Originally Posted by Patchy 73

Patchy
Not wrong mate, some seriously terrible news, I hope everyone up there keeps an eye out for each other.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:34 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Brad, not far at all - our farm was in Congupna, small world!
Originally Posted by Patchy 73

Patchy
That's incredibly sad, can't believe what - I feel for the police and anyone else who had to see it all.

FWIW, it made it on the news here in California. A lot of people are asking why I'm moving back to Aus...

Old 12-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Wow - if those numbers are real, it's one whole lot more radicals than I care to think about.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
I think Australia is so multi-culturally embedded, that any criticism of Islam is seen by Muslims and do-gooders as a racially offensive stance to take. Australians seem to take the abuse from these aggressive people on the chin. It is disgusting how these people can insult us and our way of life, yet call us racists when we challenge them. I am not able to say what I really feel about the siege, or terrorism in general, for fear of being labelled a racist, and therein lies the problem. I have always found it funny when someone confronts a Muslim and are then called a racist. What has race got to do with religion? It is a strange, messed up world. Purge humanity of religion and you might go some way to finding world peace.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Originally Posted by Peter Bird
I think Australia is so multi-culturally embedded, that any criticism of Islam is seen by Muslims and do-gooders as a racially offensive stance to take. Australians seem to take the abuse from these aggressive people on the chin. It is disgusting how these people can insult us and our way of life, yet call us racists when we challenge them. I am not able to say what I really feel about the siege, or terrorism in general, for fear of being labelled a racist, and therein lies the problem. I have always found it funny when someone confronts a Muslim and are then called a racist. What has race got to do with religion? It is a strange, messed up world. Purge humanity of religion and you might go some way to finding world peace.
Could not agree more. I am also sick of being branded a racist for
suggesting that religion is evil. As you say it's not about race, I don't
care what colour they are.

This belief in a fairy tale about an imaginary being is responsible for
the death of more people in the history of humanity than any other
cause.

And it's not just Islam that is to blame.

We have the crusades, the 30 years war, the French wars of religion,
the Taiping rebellion, the various catholic inquisitions, the KKK,
northern Ireland, the second Sudanese civil war, the Lebanese
civil war, the Ottoman wars, the partition of India, etc etc.

The death toll from this list alone amounts to many millions.

The greatest crime is the brainwashing of children with this nonsence,
it amounts to child abuse as far as I am concerned.

And, bye the way, the "budget emergency" that we are currently
suffering could be greatly alleviated by making churches pay taxes,
like any other business.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Funny - I have heard religion termed the "Second Oldest Business" on earth.

The OLDEST business, is of course Prostitution...

I wonder what the tax rate is for a Nevada Wh***house?

Old 12-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Aussie BrianB
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greywolf

I wonder what the tax rate is for a Nevada Wh***house?
Got to be higher than the church.