Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DP tuner problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:11 PM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
DP tuner problems

I've owned my truck 3 months. And from day 1 I've been having problems with the DP tuner that was in it when I bought it.

It's only a 3 position chip. Stock. Economy. And extreme (or whatever DP goes by. ) anyway when I switch the tuner from stock to extreme it makes the engine cut out for a split second then kick back on, check engine light come on, water in fuel light. Then it quits.

Bothers me because it'll also do it at random without switching chip at all. I tried removing the pcm to check the connection but I couldn't get it out for the life of me (about a month ago. )

So all in all I'm thinking about switching to ts6. Offers 3 more positions. And I can say that I've had good experience with no problems whatsoever on my obs 7.3.

What should I do??

Old 12-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, have you called DP to see what they have to say? It could be a wide variety of issues, but regardless I bet they can and will help you.

Second if you don't want to keep a DP chip, Hydra is also popular with the brotherhood.

Originally Posted by DanielT28
I've owned my truck 3 months. And from day 1 I've been having problems with the DP tuner that was in it when I bought it.

It's only a 3 position chip. Stock. Economy. And extreme (or whatever DP goes by. ) anyway when I switch the tuner from stock to extreme it makes the engine cut out for a split second then kick back on, check engine light come on, water in fuel light. Then it quits.

Bothers me because it'll also do it at random without switching chip at all. I tried removing the pcm to check the connection but I couldn't get it out for the life of me (about a month ago. )

So all in all I'm thinking about switching to ts6. Offers 3 more positions. And I can say that I've had good experience with no problems whatsoever on my obs 7.3.

What should I do??

Old 12-18-2014, 05:01 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
And how many times since day 1 have you contacted DP to ask for their help?

If you have contacted them, what did they say for you to do?

Stewart

Old 12-18-2014, 05:07 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a dp tuner 6 position. stock, high idle, 50hp, 75hp,100 hp, 150hp. everytime I would switch between settings I would have all the lights on the dash come on, trans wouldnt shift, it was almost like rolling the key back. One time it left me hanging at a stop light with a no start after I switched to max. so I cut a big hole in the ECU cover and can unplug the tuner just by reaching under the dash and pulling it out. turned out the ECU that was in the truck was changed prior to me owning it. We got it ironed out now, call DP tunes, they will get it right!!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The DP chip has 6 positions if it's an F5, and the F6 has many more. Rule 1 with switching tunes is keep your foot away from the throttle while switching (about 2 or 3 seconds). If the contacts on the PCM are dirty or the chip is otherwise loose, you need to pull the PCM out, take the cover off, and tin the connections with solder.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:48 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Unless he's got one of the older Van Ayken style chips....

Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
I have talk to DP about it once or twice.

I don't switch the setting with my foot on the throttle anyway. The previous owner told me it was a DP tuner, but I thought it was weird because there is only three settings. I'm wanting to take off the PCM but I can't figure out how to get it off, I tried before following instructions there's two bolts inside and then the one on the firewall I believe I couldn't get it to come out

Old 12-18-2014, 09:10 AM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting the PCM out, while straight forward, does take some "wiggle". The plastic housing has a lip around the Firewall end that holds it close to the metal mounting bracket. Right by the PCM is a large wireloom from the fuse box as well as the Parking brake cable. All of these make it harder to remove the PCM.

After all the bolts are removed and the cable disconnected from inside the motor compartment, you will have to move the PCM towards the passenger side, while pulling the parking break cable and wireloom away and then wiggle the PCM out.

Due to the nature of the PCM, Ford designed it so it won't just fall out.

Pull it out check that chip.

Jesse

I don't switch the setting with my foot on the throttle anyway. The previous owner told me it was a DP tuner, but I thought it was weird because there is only three settings. I'm wanting to take off the PCM but I can't figure out how to get it off, I tried before following instructions there's two bolts inside and then the one on the firewall I believe I couldn't get it to come out

Old 12-18-2014, 09:22 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Just like Jesse posted, push it to the right then pull it out.

The older style ***** could be set to only move to or use the locations that have tunes in them. A little plastic spacer on the back side of the selector ****. Easy to change when you take the selector **** out. If it is one of these style ***** & chips it could be set for only 3 locations.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:24 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
My old Van Akyn style chip has a selector **** that can be adjusted up to 8 positions, but the chip would only store 4 tunes.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:29 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru

The one that bolts/holds the connector in place under the hood is a 10mm. It does take many turns for it to loosen completely because the bolt is long and the threads are on the fine side. The bolt does not come completely out of the connector housing normally. So, when loosening it, occasionally tug and wiggle on the connector. If it doesn't separate, give it five more turns, keep doing this and it will come out of the PCM eventually.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:33 AM
DanielT28
Laughing Gas
I will give it a shot after work today hopefully. I'm just getting tired of the frustration of mystery cut outs. Haha.

Also when the truck hadn't been started for a day or 2 and I try to start it on the 2nd or 3rd position it runs like crap for a few minutes. But if I switch it to stock first it starts and runs fine

Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
The DP chip has 6 positions if it's an F5, and the F6 has many more. Rule 1 with switching tunes is keep your foot away from the throttle while switching (about 2 or 3 seconds). If the contacts on the PCM are dirty or the chip is otherwise loose, you need to pull the PCM out, take the cover off, and tin the connections with solder.

Actually Rich, the F5 is a 16 position chip. I have 9 programs on mine counting 0-no start. To the OP, I would get that thing out, send it back down to Jody and have him look at, and update those tunes at the very least. He has modified his tunes so many times since that last time that thing was probably programmed it's night and day. He has much better/safer tunes now.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:02 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
You'll get it out. We all got nervous the first few times messing with the PCM, nobody wants to fry their truck......

Take the keys out of the ignition and the rest is easy......

Thoroughbred Diesel has a pretty good you tube video. There example is with an manual but you'll get the idea.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by HKusp
..................... To the OP, I would get that thing out, send it back down to Jody and have him look at, and update those tunes at the very least. He has modified his tunes so many times since that last time that thing was probably programmed it's night and day. He has much better/safer tunes now.
I'm not 100% on this but I don't think DP will burn tunes on a TS style chip (Please correct me if I am wrong) - if it turns out to be that.

Quick Reply: DP tuner problems