1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Tach not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:39 PM
drpaul311
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
1. Have you checked oil level in the HPOP reservoir?

2. Measure voltage on ICP wire LTBlu/Red. You need at least 1 volt while cranking to have enough pressure to fire injectors. If you are getting CPS signal then it will probably ramp above 3 volts.

Some other voltage and resistance checks can be found here ...

97-15A 7.3L DI Turbo Workshop Manual

Don't have tunnel vision as some trucks don't register tac during cranking depending on the PCM version.

icp good and hpop reservoir full of oil.

question: the sensor whatever it is on the hpop that is held on to the shaft by the jam nut, what is it for (it is the about 1.25" diameter thing that slides on the bolt and right above it is the actual sensor)?

Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 PM
drpaul311
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
What scanner are you using? A generic OBD-II scanner will do exactly what you describe.

mine is the novia brand you can get at orileys. i think i paid 400 for it when it first came out as the upgraded version in 2011. much to my dismay, i don't have the nice $40k snap on devise my brother has...

Old 12-20-2014, 01:38 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drpaul311

icp good and hpop reservoir full of oil.

question: the sensor whatever it is on the hpop that is held on to the shaft by the jam nut, what is it for (it is the about 1.25" diameter thing that slides on the bolt and right above it is the actual sensor)?
The device with tin nut is the IPR. If the tin nut is loose or missing then all bets are off starting the truck. The PCM pulses this solenoid to maintain desired oil pressure to fire the injectors. The sensor above that is the EOT sensor.

What voltage reading did you get when checking out the ICP sensor while cranking, or did you?

Old 12-20-2014, 08:56 PM
drpaul311
Senior User
Cool

Originally Posted by Hussler
The device with tin nut is the IPR. If the tin nut is loose or missing then all bets are off starting the truck. The PCM pulses this solenoid to maintain desired oil pressure to fire the injectors. The sensor above that is the EOT sensor.

What voltage reading did you get when checking out the ICP sensor while cranking, or did you?

the tin nut, well, it actually fell off before. when i put the engine together this time, i used a jamb nut. i learned from the last time, no not, no start!

update: truck fired today, and man did it run good and oodles of power. i put the harness back in after making a couple minor and unrelated repairs. i also pulled the new PCM and reinstalled my old PCM. additionally, one negative battery cable was loose thereby needing some TLC. wham bam, thank god it started! i managed to drive it for 24.2 miles before the tow truck had to come get me. the frigging crankcase is full of antifreeze. i can just bet the machine shop that did my heads did a crappy substandard job putting in the new fuel injector cups.

am almost 100 percent positive the cups leak because there is one commonality between my old engine and my current engine = the heads. on the old engine, i just pulled the heads and when i pulled that motor, the crankcase was full of antifreeze (i thought i blew a head gasket so i had both heads done). now everything on this engine is new, and my crankcase is full of antifreeze.

i think its time for an attorney and go after some jerk off! he will be paying this bill.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:57 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this. That's a crappy hit of luck.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:03 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
I see in your typing your incredably frustrated; i'd be too given the history of what you've delt with thus far. Question, what if anything is coming out the tail pipe when your cranking the truck?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
That's horrible, good luck with your outcome!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Ooooo... Sheesh man.... Sorry to hear that...

Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 PM
drpaul311
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
I'm sorry to hear this. That's a crappy hit of luck.
yeah, it sucks. i was all excited thinking that now i can put my 28 inch tires on my chevy Silverado and get it in the garage to drop the transfer case and start taking off the body and do a frame up restoration...that was out the door in 24 miles!

thanks. hopefully this jerk off will step up to the plate without judicial process. im so done working on this truck. i just might have a shop do it this time.

i was so happy today and all that frustration, i almost cried. but man did it run really good for those few miles. i do need a bigger turbo though after this mess is resolved. that will be my next thread on here, what kind of turbo...

Old 12-20-2014, 11:53 PM
drpaul311
Senior User
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
I see in your typing your incredably frustrated; i'd be too given the history of what you've delt with thus far. Question, what if anything is coming out the tail pipe when your cranking the truck?

thank you sir!

as for the history, you have no idea! i bought the truck one day and got my tow dolly so i could make the trip from UT to CA. the following morning, the truck took forever to start. it all began from there.

i have spent close to twenty grand in repairs on this truck. so i feel im stuck with it to get my money back out of it. don't get me wrong, its a decent truck, but poorly maintained i think. but i love it for towing my toy hauler. now though, i can just image the ease with some much more power than before!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:59 PM
drpaul311
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
That's horrible, good luck with your outcome!

thanks!

what really pisses me off, my intuition. when i was bolting the heads on, i had a funny feeling about those injector cups and simply had a bad feeling. but being fresh from the machine shop, i quickly dismissed those feelings. i got that funny feeling because i ran my cup brush through one of them and some funky stuff came out.

my question is, can these heads be pressure tested being off the engine and tested for leaks?

Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Most certainly they can.
I would pull the injectors and pressure test and see if they are leaking.
Cups can most deff be changed without pulling the heads.it sucks but if that's really is all it is you could have it going in a few hr's work.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:08 AM
drpaul311
Senior User
Originally Posted by coreyallan01

as for your question about whats coming out the tailpipe. i stopped to drop off something. while idling, it died. i went back to restart it, and it wouldn't start. i popped the hood and was looking around. i don't know what prompted me to pull the oil dipstick but i did. i couldn't believe what i saw. i reinserted the dipstick to have a second look. at the juncture, i wasn't going to crank it any more; didn't want to create any damage. so i don't know what came out the pipe. i just called AAA for a tow. two hours later i got back home and started working on my POS jeep WJ! that car has been equally as frustrating and expensive. took five years and over four grand to find the ghost in that car. then i recently fixed it, and now i have other major issues!

it never ends!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:18 AM
drpaul311
Senior User
Wink thank you

i wanted to say, thank you all for helping me through this journey. but its far from over! this is only a set back, and probably going to be an expensive one up front. nonetheless, your input been greatly appreciated.

i have admit this has been my first diesel, and its been a challenge and the learning curve has been high! i have to say however, i have gained a lot of knowledge in a timely manner. in spite of that, i will be here asking more qestions about this and that!

but thank you all!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:22 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drpaul311
it never ends!
I'll second that!!!