Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel fired coolant heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 03:48 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel fired coolant heater

I am a full time student in west new york and my campus has now here for me to plug in without being ticket or the cord being unplugged. So I am looking at a Perfection stove company diesel fired coolant heater.

Looking to get some thoughts?

This is for an 88' 7.3 IDI

Old 12-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I have never heard of it, so I googled it. Last time it was brought up was in 02 and they all said it was more tousle than it is worth for the $1000 cost. Just make sure your glow plug system is working good and you will have no issues

Old 12-03-2014, 05:51 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I have never heard of it, so I googled it. Last time it was brought up was in 02 and they all said it was more tousle than it is worth for the $1000 cost. Just make sure your glow plug system is working good and you will have no issues
Found one NOS for about $160...
My problem is my GP relay is working intermittently and the truck has an aftermarket turbo so to change the relay I believe I have to pull the turbo. has new plugs though. I want to not have to idle for so long for her to get warm before driving to mile to and from work every day.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:52 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with brad. Make sure you're batteries and your glow plugs are good and you'll be fine. I've never plugged my truck in in winter, and Maine gets fairly cold at night.

I have a propane tank heater on one of my old diesel loaders that doesn't have glow plugs. I would turn it on as late as I could the night before I wanted to use it so it had plenty of time to warm up a 250 cummins block. It works fine I suppose. It does the job anyway.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:54 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Also Think I need a new main positive lead that connects the two batteries. insulation is split by the terminals and corroded to hell. Would prefer to hold off till spring for that.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:55 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your glow plug system is a critical part of the truck starting. I would think you would look into fixing the gp relay. Replace it with a plow pump solenoid. Brad can tell you the part number. I know what it is in the parts store, but can't tell you off the top of my head. It's a great upgrade.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:00 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Well I can't get to the GP controller. I have a replacement controller and relay and GP wires off my parts truck I was thinking about hooking up for manual control until I get around to tearing the turbo off. Set it up in such a way to not cut any of the stock items, maybe just pull the fuse.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:04 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
why do you want to put off replacing a corroded battery cable until the spring while your having hard starting issues in the winter? that doesn't make any sense to me.....at all.
the GP relay should have been relocated to make assessable when the turbo was installed.
since it's working intermittently,start with checking the ground at the relay.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:07 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
why do you want to put off replacing a corroded battery cable until the spring while your having hard starting issues in the winter? that doesn't make any sense to me.....at all.
the GP relay should have been relocated to make assessable when the turbo was installed.
since it's working intermittently,start with checking the ground at the relay.
Because its cold and I have zero time. I haven't had problems lately since the relay is working again but I've never driven it below I think 5 degrees and am trying to be proactive. If I was going to replace the battery cables is there anyone who sells OEM style or reproductions?

I know the relay SHOULD have been relocated, alas it was not.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
LMC has it for $120... Another reason to wait on it.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I can't believe I am doing this, but..........
Go over to oilbuners.net

Old 12-03-2014, 07:47 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Ugh like I don't belong to enough forums already.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
we'll tell him the same things over there that we do here lol.
you need good battery cables.these can be bought at good prices (they're not like buying for gas engines.they're large wires so "good" is relative lol) at orileys.
i buy mine and have them custom made at NAPA with marine battery cables.
they can be bought here too;
Heavy Duty, Aftermarket, Custom Battery Cables for your Car, Truck or RV

and you need to fix the glow plug system;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post12967785

i can't help ya fix lazy though.your on your own there.i hate the cold too but iv still got to work in it.
if you don't want to bundle up and pull a turbo to move the controller where it belongs and then fix/replace it,then i guess the best thing ya can do is use the block heater and when you need to leave after hours without near a plug use starting fluid until the spring.
id just bundle up and fix the truck.sucks i know.i hope to god and im working my ars off to insure this is my last winter without a heated shop.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:14 PM
infinite-foamies
Elder User
Thanks for the links but if they're going to be custom to get good ones I guess I'll just have to kick myself and build em.

As far as the glow plug system I think I will just run a separate controller for now I guess. I can do it without cutting any of the stock setup so I can go back to that when I have more time. I do carry either and diesel 911.

Would you say I want a minimum of 1/0 cable?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:24 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
they need to be at least 2/0 and making the one that goes down to the starter from the pass side battery 3/0 won't hurt.

Quick Reply: Diesel fired coolant heater