1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

AutoEnginuity versus AeroForce Interceptor functions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:09 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
AutoEnginuity versus AeroForce Interceptor functions?

In a separate thread, Bryan made the following contribution.

Originally Posted by bryanlindborg600
i've done a lot of things to my truck, this gauge is by far one of the best things i have bought! it does a ton, on top of whats listed above you can perform buzz tests pull and clear codes, it is a must have for any psd owner who wants to work on there own shint..unless you already have a high end diagnostic tool...
anyhow, good luck to the o.p

And I am spring boarding off of it to start this thread:

I have an AutoEnginuity and the Interceptor. I'm having a hard time justifying my keeping the AE as I've found only one reading it does that the Interceptor doesn't.

--The AE will show which auto trans solenoid(s) the PCM is requesting.

Maybe there is more?

AutoEnginuity:
+The ability to watch one or multiple sensors or readings at a time, live, could be handy if trying to diagnose an intermittent issue.
+It is really interesting to watch. Definitely more "wow" factor.
+Easy to make changes to views and select sensors with a mouse or track pad.

AeroForce:
+The Interceptor is plugged in all the time and doesn't need to be booted up.
+It can be set to alert on a number of parameters like trans temp and/or EGTs (if you add the pyro sensor).
-Except for the trans solenoid indication listed above, I haven't found other items the AeroForce doesn't see. In fairness, the Interceptor does say which gear is being requested. But this is a combination of the solenoids' actions.
-The button and screen toggling makes it tedious to set up. Changes later are easier, but the toggling is still tedious compared to the AutoEnginuity.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
AE is a diagnostics tool.
The ScanGauge is just that, A gauge.
It provides helpful info. Thats it.
AE will allow you to record what your truck is doing to better figure otu the issues.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:51 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
Like William said, 2 different tools for different purposes.
The gauge is there all the time. It can pull codes, monitor PID's etc, on the vehicle it's in.
But if you need to datalog or check out another truck, AE is the tool to have.

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 12-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
A slightly dissenting opinion from a new guy. The Aeroforce Interceptor is a little bit more than just a gauge. You can't run injector buzz tests or a cylinder contribution test with a gauge, but you can with an Interceptor. You can also data log to some extent up to I think 60 seconds.

It can't compete with AE as a diagnostic tool for use on various vehicles, but then it wasn't intended to. I think by the time you pay for all the vehicle specific software packages to allow you to use AE on different makes you could buy several Interceptors.

The gauge feature of the Interceptor is a plus as it is awkward to drive around all the time with an AE equipped laptop in your truck.

This is an interesting topic since I have an older version of AE and I'm debating whether to upgrade or to buy an Interceptor.

Bob

Old 12-02-2014, 08:43 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bob_T
The Aeroforce Interceptor is a little bit more than just a gauge.
Bob, yes it is.

The AI is likely very tedious to use for a lot of trouble shooting, but I'm noodling as to what important failed sensor the AE would identify that the AI would not.

I do like playing with the AE on occasion but I fiddle with the AI nearly everyday.

I should also share that I haven't used either to replace a sensor.

But I've learned that if I accidentally leave the block heater plugged in all night (with a freezing overnight temp) that the oil temp will be about 100 in the morning.

And I can watch the oil temp slowly climb from ambient temperature (important when it is cold) to a temp that I feel comfortable putting a little more foot feed to it.

And that the trans temp gets to 200 degrees running around town with 37" tires. But with 33" tires it rarely breaks 180.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Make friends with someone who has a 6.0 and you'll understand the value of AE and the live data tab.

AE is also easier to read when your eyes don't work as well as they used to.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:47 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What about running both in conjunction?

Does AE run the diagnostics when the truck is not running, but there is power? That will be the selling point for me if it does!

Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Does AE run the diagnostics when the truck is not running, but there is power? That will be the selling point for me if it does!
That depends on which diagnostics you're inquiring about, not on which tool to use. There are KOEO (key on engine off) and KOER (key on engine running) tests, and AE can do both kinds. But so can any other device capable of communicating with our trucks, including AF and the old Snap-On brick.

If you're inquiring specifically about retrieving trouble codes (Pxxxx), then any of the above should be able to retrieve them with key on, engine off.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:03 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madpogue
That depends on which diagnostics you're inquiring about, not on which tool to use. There are KOEO (key on engine off) and KOER (key on engine running) tests, and AE can do both kinds. But so can any other device capable of communicating with our trucks, including AF and the old Snap-On brick.

If you're inquiring specifically about retrieving trouble codes (Pxxxx), then any of the above should be able to retrieve them with key on, engine off.
I am familiar with KOER/KOEO test with standard scanners. I have used the scanners from the parts stores plenty of times. Including the snap-on brick, which was the only scanner to pull codes that even Euro Audi's tools couldn't communicate with my car's PCM!

Let me clarify a little though, assuming I have AE with the extended package, will KOEO diagnose no-start issues if the truck is cranking but not turning over? IE: a bad sensor(s), injector buzz, IPR pressure, wiring breaks ETC without the truck running? Also, are the P codes in-depth, as far as information about the code as well?

Old 12-04-2014, 03:24 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Yes, basically, AE can tell you everything that our PCMs can tell you. It can do injector buzz. It can read sensor data while cranking, or with key on engine off.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:25 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
I am familiar with KOER/KOEO test with standard scanners. I have used the scanners from the parts stores plenty of times. Including the snap-on brick, which was the only scanner to pull codes that even Euro Audi's tools couldn't communicate with my car's PCM!

Let me clarify a little though, assuming I have AE with the extended package, will KOEO diagnose no-start issues if the truck is cranking but not turning over? IE: a bad sensor(s), injector buzz, IPR pressure, wiring breaks ETC without the truck running? Also, are the P codes in-depth, as far as information about the code as well?

I've got both. AE gets the nod when diagnosing a no start for a couple of reasons. More PID's can be monitored at once during cranking and the gauge takes a while to power up and show data, and cuts off for a second when you start to crank so you miss data until it comes back on. AE will stay connected and read data even if you cycle the key off and back on real quick.

Of course the gauge is more portable and you can add things like an EGT probe and fuel pressure sensor.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:49 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F350-6
I've got both. AE gets the nod when diagnosing a no start for a couple of reasons. More PID's can be monitored at once during cranking and the gauge takes a while to power up and show data, and cuts off for a second when you start to crank so you miss data until it comes back on. AE will stay connected and read data even if you cycle the key off and back on real quick.

Of course the gauge is more portable and you can add things like an EGT probe and fuel pressure sensor.
Roger that. AE it is. Maybe once I start getting all the problems worked out, the AI will probably be on my list of gauges somewhere. I like seeing a host of data all at once so I can compare more than just 2 things at one time. I think 360$ is a small price to pay for a lifetime of diagnostics for any ford trucks.

What do you use to diagnose in the connector port by the IDM? That isn't our OBD2 port is it?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:23 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by F350-6
and the gauge takes a while to power up and show data, and cuts off for a second when you start to crank so you miss data until it comes back on
Great point!

This could be addressed with a switch that powers gauge full time (to provide monitoring during a no start condition) and then back to switched power for normal operation. This will go on my 'to do' list.

This is an example of real world issues that I'm trying to identify.

I think this discussion is really helpful for people that can justify only one or the other. Or like me, could only afford one at a time, and need to decide which one first.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:51 AM
duggyb
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't even know why these two are getting compared. Totally different.

Have fun trying to monitor 9+ parameters at the same time on a AI.

also can you run datalogs and export to Excel spreadsheets longer than 60 seconds? i just had this problem with my truck i actually ran logs for 3-4 minutes off on and off cranking trying to figure out why it would not start and it came down to having no fuel pulse width.

I don't think doing these diagnostics on an AI would be fun.

Not to mention when Clay @ RiffRaff puts the AE on special with Ford Bundle I think i only paid $300 for it.

PLUS PLUS if i ever so choose to help my chevy or dodge buddy's i can add on the bundles.

IMO AE is a MUCH MUCH better option, and if you feel the need to monitor IPR and ICP voltage and all of that every single day then you need to fix your truck and make it more reliable so you don't need to worry about that stuff unless troubleshooting.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
I could think of a few things I'd want to monitor via Aeroforce on a "normal" basis, as a gauge. EOT for one, since the dash coolant temp gauge is so pitifully imprecise. I would probably set the second display for boost, or wire in an EGT probe. If I had an E4DOA, I'd def. set it for tranny temp.

Quick Reply: AutoEnginuity versus AeroForce Interceptor functions?