Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Steering Stabilizer Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:13 PM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steering Stabilizer Question

Is it normal for a stabilizer shock to leak oil? Reason I ask is I had a new Red Head Steering Gear and Stabilizer installed by my local shop about a month ago and it cured my steering tug-of-war issue right away. I've put about 800 miles on the truck since and all has been fantastic....until last night.

I went into a right hand turn and the damn thing felt like there was resistance, then it let go and turned, and after the turn I was playing tug of war with the wheel like a drunk driver (exactly like my intermittent problem previously). Problem went away after applying the brakes and turning the wheel back and forth. All of this was cured last month with the above fix until now.

Today I noticed oil drops on the ground and they are clearly coming from the stabilizer as I can see the drips coming out of it. Is this normal for a stabilizer or should I just pull the damn thing off? I pulled my old stabilizer off two months ago which seemed to cure the problem...but decided on the Red Head anyway, to which the tech claimed I really needed a stabilizer as well. He put a new one on instead of my old one as he said the old one was indeed bad.

Thoughts?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, that's not normal. If it's only 2 months old, it should still be under warranty, no?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:26 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ He is right.Should not be leaking.What brand is it?I have used several different brands(Billestein,Rancho,Monroe) all were good and if they go bad take them back to the parts store and get a brand new one with the warranty.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:42 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
A few years ago I changed the oil in my hydraulic system to Mobil-1 ATF. I jacked up the front wheels off the ground and had my wife run the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times while flushing the old oil out.

After I was through, I noticed a green fluid under the front end and thought it was coolant. The ol' taste-tester told me it was NOT glycol, but some kind of green oil!

My steering stabilizer (I believe it's a Gabriel) had puked at least a teaspoon during those repeated, quick lock-to-locks.

No evidence of any additional leakage since, however.

Pop

Old 11-27-2014, 10:55 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Thanks...I'll take it off and see if the problem comes back, and return it to the shop in the meantime.

Should I just go without a stabilizer?? Any harm in being without....is a stabilizer really needed for street driving, VERY little off road action?

Old 11-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have 80,000 miles without a stabilizer, and I see many of our trucks without them. My understanding is it's the cure for death wobble - if you have it.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Silverlake
Senior User
Originally Posted by sowaxeman
Thanks...I'll take it off and see if the problem comes back, and return it to the shop in the meantime.

Should I just go without a stabilizer?? Any harm in being without....is a stabilizer really needed for street driving, VERY little off road action?
I had front end issues on my new-to-me 2000 with 90K.
Many here recommended a stabilizer but after replacing the steering gear, right upper and lower ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc. the issue (wouldn't return to center at speed) is gone.
I have no stabilizer and from what I can tell, never did.

A stabilizer may help with other issues, just not the one I had.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:29 AM
takotruckin
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
My understanding is it's the cure for death wobble - if you have it.
A steering stabilizer is a bandaid and death wobble is a deep knife wound, if you get where I am coming from.

Yank it and take it back, you don't need it.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:39 PM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Well I don't have a death wobble, as least not that I have ever felt. This is a steering "tug of war" with the wheel. Stabilizer is coming off to see if the problem goes away or still remains.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:44 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Can't imagine the stabilizer causing it to lock up. When they go bad they just lose their ability to dampen. Since it went away with brake application it sounds more like a pump issue of booster valve hanging up.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:56 PM
tonym17
Senior User
might be your axle shaft u-joints

Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 AM
sowaxeman
Elder User
Where are the U joints....easily accessible and visible? I'm not a 4WD suspension guy so kind of clueless. I've read others that say to coat them with penetrating oil. Willing to try it but just not sure what/where I'm looking.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:02 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your axle shaft ujoints are where the spindle pivots at the axle,or where the axle tube ends,there sealed so penetrating oil wont help,there lubricated with #2 grease.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:34 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
My truck is an E99 bought it in 03 never had a steering stabilizer on it so I put one on didn't notice much smashed it on a rock many moons ago yanked it off and never put one on sense. You may have some front end issue if your fighting the wheel or have really skinny tires getting stuck in the road ruts.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I have 80,000 miles without a stabilizer, and I see many of our trucks without them. My understanding is it's the cure for death wobble - if you have it.
As previously mentioned death wobble is from other things.

Steering stabilizers came on the trucks with the 4x4 off road package. This also included the skid plates.

I added a bilstein to mine the wheel feels a little smoother, and takes out some of the negative feedback. It was very noticable on the road by my house.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer Question