1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

proud New owner need answers

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 07:23 PM
white_97_7.3
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proud New owner need answers

hello all, New to the forum I just recently acquired a 1997 7.3 with 280,xxx on the clock and wanted to know a few things. it is a auto and has an old school no name 5 point tuner on it (4 tunes with high-idle) and its 4 wheel drive. the truck has had a LOT of owners at least 6 as far as I can tell with the receipts in the dash, seems to be a pretty well taken care of truck despite that. I'm 16 and basically driving my dream truck right now so that's pretty awesome but what I'm looking at with the truck and the picture in my head of what I want are preeeeetty different.the truck has a few problems notably it cuts out when you slow down to turn or stop if you tap the throttle at about 600 rpm it will idle down and sit just fine. also when I am at speed the speedo will cut out and the odometer will go blank then everything will go back to normal within a second, I don't think its a blown trans because it shifts fine and accelerates fine. I also have some other questions.
- what is the stock turbo size on this truck and at 280 will it need any work? (I have access to a '03 turbo with about 70k on it just saying)
- what is a really easy power number to hit with some light modifications? (I don't need a race truck I just want some power on tap)
- where/what are some good brands and websites to look for mods and replacement parts?
- what is HPOP?
thanks, anything else you think I should know just tell me I'm open to any and all information.

Old 04-23-2024, 05:22 AM
Yeoman
Cross-Country
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Have you done a diagnostic and if so, what codes are you getting?

Old 04-23-2024, 07:05 AM
white_97_7.3
6th Gear
I have not done any diagnostics because I'm not getting any warning lights, does a obd2 scanner work with these older trucks?

Old 04-23-2024, 07:38 AM
Yeoman
Cross-Country
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Try searching the site for threads on diagnostics, for example, this thread gives you info of Forscan, a low cost tools that is effective "Forscan for Dummies" https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-dummies.html.

You can also search for Diagnostic codes, obd2, or by engine symptoms. This way you learn from others. Site has a rich history of "symptom and cause". Read up on what's come before and eliminate the obvious.
For example, the wire harness on the 7.3 is vulnerable to damage where is crosses over the driver's side valve cover. Examine that location for cracked wires (due to heat mostly) and shorts that could be causing the engine symptoms you describe.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:00 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,172 Likes on 953 Posts
Focus on durability now. Stock 90cc injectors are not going to make much power, I think 220-240rwhp is about it. Forescan is highly recommended.

Get good air filtration on it. Most do that open Donaldson filter, I like my S&B box. Verify you have the master cylinder pressure switch update done. Invest in HD intake boot kit from Riffraff, OBOD are not your friends. Inspect battery cables and verify you have Group 65 size. Pick ip HD glow plug relay

Fluids front to back. Axle(s). Brake flush with new hoses, pull drums to inspect. Trans service, 4R100 pans have drain plugs. Coolant flush, add the SCAs or buy coolant with it in there.

Speedo issue is probably the PSOM needs to be rebuilt.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hit Man X:
Old 04-23-2024, 11:20 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
- what is the stock turbo size on this truck and at 280 will it need any work? (I have access to a '03 turbo with about 70k on it just saying)
TP38 and an 03 has a different mount that needs a different exhaust manifold, baby butt collector, cross T intake plenums and uppies.

- what is a really easy power number to hit with some light modifications? (I don't need a race truck I just want some power on tap)
Stock is great once all the boost leaks are gone, tuner will gain about 40+
- where/what are some good brands and websites to look for mods and replacement parts?
Here and RiffRaff
- what is HPOP?
High Pressure Oil Pump that feeds the injectors in front of engine on top
thanks, anything else you think I should know just tell me I'm open to any and all information.[/QUOTE]

good read and welcome to the fun!!!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...sel-truck.html

Old 04-23-2024, 12:15 PM
96SD
More Turbo
Received 208 Likes on 152 Posts
Fix everything that is blown out on a 30 year old truck, buy a code reader and invest in tools.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-23-2024, 12:57 PM
white_97_7.3
6th Gear
can someone explain forescan? (I'm a little new to all the jargon of diesels and stuff)

Old 04-23-2024, 03:20 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Forscan is a PC program that uses a USB adapter or BT dongle.

Can use a tablet based on andriod or phone too like i do with a BT dongle
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...2-scanner.html

Old 04-23-2024, 04:10 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,172 Likes on 953 Posts
I have no clue how to use Forescan either, we are in same boat. These guys will set you straight.

Agree 100% buying good tools once.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM
white_97_7.3
6th Gear
guesssss what! just blew up the transmission Does anyone have a preference or ideas about where I should look for a replacement, I want to get a built trans not a rebuilt one or a used stock one but I have close to no money (16 y/o) so what's my best bet?

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by white_97_7.3
guesssss what! just blew up the transmission Does anyone have a preference or ideas about where I should look for a replacement, I want to get a built trans not a rebuilt one or a used stock one but I have close to no money (16 y/o) so what's my best bet?
When I was 19 or 20 with transmission problems and limited money, my best bet was a manual transmission swap.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Bone yard may have one
Check Facebook market place too

Rebuild can go 2-7k depending

Why do you say blown?

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
white_97_7.3
6th Gear
it will only shift when I lift on acceleration, the fluid smells burnt, the speedometer is going wack sometimes working and sometimes. not it also bumps in and out of overdrive sometimes, when I have it up to speed consistently it will slip and the engine will rev over then it will catch and speed back up.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by white_97_7.3
it will only shift when I lift on acceleration, the fluid smells burnt, the speedometer is going wack sometimes working and sometimes. not it also bumps in and out of overdrive sometimes, when I have it up to speed consistently it will slip and the engine will rev over then it will catch and speed back up.
If your speedometer is erratic or malfunctioning, that may be causing your transmission issues. I recommend resolving whatever problem is causing your erratic or malfunctioning speedometer before worrying about doing anything major with your transmission.

Quick Reply: proud New owner need answers