Brakes/Parts Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:49 PM
WebMattR
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes/Parts Questions

Hello,

I'm back again, with another question or two.

Firstly, has anyone looked at this kit from Master Power Brakes?* I've been looking for a 67+ truck with discs I can swap on, but haven't had any luck finding one. Given that most of them would cost me 1000+ and I was only thinking of putting discs on the front, the price feels comparable to me (unless there's more reasons to get a parts truck that I'm missing).

Second, I'm still striking out on hoods. I've called around a few local junk yards have them, but list their condition as 'rusted out' and still want $200+ for them. Is there any company still making these?

*The link is for the 1965, but my truck is actually a 1966. They've the same kit at the same price for my year.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:46 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
In late 2010 I ordered a complete front disc conversion kit for my '66 V8 LWB CC from Master Power Brakes which included a dual chamber master cylinder, power booster, proportioning valve and more stuff than is in the kit they are currently offering (spindles and king pins). So it was a different kit to the one they are now offering, but I am very happy with mine. The quality of the components is great and there wasn't too much hassle with the installation - which took place as part of a complete cab-off-frame restomod, power steering conversion and front suspension rebuild. So, for what it's worth, my experience with MPB was a good one. Doing a jowilker conversion would likely be substantially cheaper, though. Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:06 PM
WebMattR
New User
Originally Posted by SuperSabre
Doing a jowilker conversion would likely be substantially cheaper, though. Hope this helps.
Your input did help, thank you. A bit of clarification, though: What's a jowilker conversion? My efforts to search found a few references to a user on the forum, but this isn't something I've heard of yet.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 PM
SuperSabre
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
jowilker is the "handle" for an old FTE hand named John who lives in North Carolina, and who is the FTE site expert on advising people to plan out whatever longterm improvements they want to make to their (primarily) '65 - '66 F100 - as in adding power front disc brakes, power steering, perhaps an automatic transmission, or perhaps air conditioning - then finding an appropriate later model donor truck - say a '73 to '78 F100/F150 equipped with the exact stuff you would want to put on your '66, buying it and cannibalizing the equipment over to your truck, having EVERYTHING you need to make the conversions, then selling the donor truck off so that you have spent relatively little money and got the equipment you want. Of course there can be some issues about doing it that way which may not work out in your particular case, but if you CAN do it you will potentially save a lot of money. I'm pretty sure John (jowilker) would be happy to talk specifics with you. Good luck with whatever way you choose.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:01 AM
WebMattR
New User
Originally Posted by SuperSabre
jowilker is the "handle" for an old FTE hand named John who lives in North Carolina, and who is the FTE site expert on advising people to plan out whatever longterm improvements they want to make to their (primarily) '65 - '66 F100 - as in adding power front disc brakes, power steering, perhaps an automatic transmission, or perhaps air conditioning - then finding an appropriate later model donor truck - say a '73 to '78 F100/F150 equipped with the exact stuff you would want to put on your '66, buying it and cannibalizing the equipment over to your truck, having EVERYTHING you need to make the conversions, then selling the donor truck off so that you have spent relatively little money and got the equipment you want. Of course there can be some issues about doing it that way which may not work out in your particular case, but if you CAN do it you will potentially save a lot of money. I'm pretty sure John (jowilker) would be happy to talk specifics with you. Good luck with whatever way you choose.
I'll shoot him a message. I just spotted a decent condition 66 F100 for sale locally that'd make a great parts truck, so it looks like this might be the time to do so.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Shadowrider123
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you need disc brakes? Im asking because these trucks have made it 50 years and most of them have manual drums.

I rebuilt all four brakes on my 66. That included new hoses, shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware kits, bearing repack, and added a single reservoir master cylinder and booster. I found a set of original firewall brackets in a JY. My drums and hard lines were in good condition so I didn't replace them. Total cost was under $400. The truck stopped straight and the brakes were probably in as good condition as they were when new.

For an occasional driver and cruiser, Im fine with the drums. I plan on keeping the drums and adding a booster to my 64.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Matt Welcome to and the Slicks Forum

From what I have read in your two threads you are new to the mature Ford truck world. I gathered from what you have written that you might be inexperienced in this arena. Good news, there are several folk that come here to try to help. Your profile list you as in Wa., there are areas there that have had good sheet metal available. I saw that you had called a local yard, and want to suggest that you can't do that, you must develop the art of yarding, where you actually walk the yards and see the needed parts. Connect with fellow owners in your are and find out where the better yards are.

I have been coming here daily for 15 years now, and have learned a lot from my fellow posters. There are two lines of thought for the upgrades, kits and buying donors. Many guys recommend kits, I looked at your link and the price of $1400.00. This is very incomplete, no master cylinder, no booster none of the little needed parts. These are for the experienced guys doing total tear downs.

I read many times guys buy the kits and post back here disgusted because that have problems. There are far fewer and simple issues when using a donor. When I sell my truck I can tell the buyer when parts are needed below the chassis 76 is what you ask for.

I will only recommend that you buy a 73-76 donor For 352 engine trucks and 73-79 for the 6 banger trucks. I have done several upgrades for myself and helping others. I dropped the I-beams from my 66, pulled my 76 donor along side dropped it's set, slid them over and bolted them up on my 66. I swapped the power steering gear, column, brake booster, porp valve none included in the kit.

I sold the bed and a few other parts off my donor for more money that I had in it so I claim my power steering power disc brake upgrade is -0- in cost.

How can we assist you sir?

John

Old 11-18-2014, 08:02 PM
WebMattR
New User
Originally Posted by Shadowrider123
For an occasional driver and cruiser, Im fine with the drums. I plan on keeping the drums and adding a booster to my 64.
There's two motivators behind the disc switch: firstly, I live at the top of a mile-ish long steep hill, which is half gravel, half pavement (it was an easier drive in the winter before they paved it, honestly), and second is that I haul things with my truck, both to and from my property, and the braking going down the hill gets feeling sketchy, before I threw in a bed full of stuff. I figured discs up front would be a decent safety upgrade.

Originally Posted by jowilker
From what I have read in your two threads you are new to the mature Ford truck world. I gathered from what you have written that you might be inexperienced in this arena. Good news, there are several folk that come here to try to help. Your profile list you as in Wa., there are areas there that have had good sheet metal available. I saw that you had called a local yard, and want to suggest that you can't do that, you must develop the art of yarding, where you actually walk the yards and see the needed parts. Connect with fellow owners in your are and find out where the better yards are.

I have been coming here daily for 15 years now, and have learned a lot from my fellow posters. There are two lines of thought for the upgrades, kits and buying donors. Many guys recommend kits, I looked at your link and the price of $1400.00. This is very incomplete, no master cylinder, no booster none of the little needed parts. These are for the experienced guys doing total tear downs.

I will only recommend that you buy a 73-76 donor For 352 engine trucks and 73-79 for the 6 banger trucks. I have done several upgrades for myself and helping others. I dropped the I-beams from my 66, pulled my 76 donor along side dropped it's set, slid them over and bolted them up on my 66. I swapped the power steering gear, column, brake booster, porp valve none included in the kit.

I sold the bed and a few other parts off my donor for more money that I had in it so I claim my power steering power disc brake upgrade is -0- in cost.

How can we assist you sir?
Thank you. I'm very new to the truck world: This '66 will be my first major rebuild project (I've done brake work/oil/plugs in the past on my DD's, but never done a rebuild before). I've my father assisting, who's very mechanically capable, but he's making me run the project (wise, wise man), and just showing up to help me with things, or show me how to do them. Usually both.

I'll start simple: I've a '66 in decent condition, that I want to turn from a passable wheelbarrow (it has a little overrun since I replaced the coil, rust in the front of the bed, and a rusted out hood and exhaust) into an enjoyable* cruiser that I can also use for hauling things. I've been looking at the brakes as a good first project for once it's warmer (no garage), but my biggest dilemma is probably whether to start there, or with something else.

* Okay, so I actually really enjoy driving it as/is, but I've found it's somewhat rough appearance/state means it tends to scare girls that ride in it, rather than impress them.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

OK, Let's get your town & state in your profile like I have. We have several members here that might be close to you and can offer help as well. Don't know what winters are like in your area so you might want to spend it getting the truck running well and work on the visual details. Be looking for a donor that has the parts that you want in your truck. Mine had a 352 3spd, so I bought a 360 C6 donor. When I started the upgrades they included a fresh engine and transmission along with the ps pdb.

Make a plan start working the plan. Think ahead not behind. Plan on spending the next 3-5 years working on the project not 3-5 months and get frustrated and quit leaving a pile of money behind.

John

Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 PM
WebMattR
New User
Originally Posted by jowilker
OK, Let's get your town & state in your profile like I have. We have several members here that might be close to you and can offer help as well. Don't know what winters are like in your area so you might want to spend it getting the truck running well and work on the visual details. Be looking for a donor that has the parts that you want in your truck. Mine had a 352 3spd, so I bought a 360 C6 donor. When I started the upgrades they included a fresh engine and transmission along with the ps pdb.

Make a plan start working the plan. Think ahead not behind. Plan on spending the next 3-5 years working on the project not 3-5 months and get frustrated and quit leaving a pile of money behind.

John
Winters here are normally just cold, but I'm high enough in the hills I spend most of them with at least a coating of frost, if not snow. I'm thinking winter will be used for running down parts and possibly doing some interior work.

I was estimating it being a year or two project, but I'll stretch my time-line out further, since three to five is probably more accurate. This is more planning than I think I've put into anything, honestly.

I've two questions, about donor trucks, since that's seemingly where the topic sits: my truck (I'll upload some pictures to photobucket tomorrow so I can show you pictures of it) doesn't have any major cancer that I've seen, but does have a dent in the passenger side of the cab, as well as the floor of the bed and the hood which need replacing. I've seen some 65-66 trucks go for around $1k. Do you think it's worth it to buy one to use for parts like that, or would I be better off sourcing such things from a junk yard?

Second, I had a guy get back to me with a 1979 F100 which had discs in the front, but drums in the back. I know you'd said up to 1976, but was that a hard stop (mine is a 66, just for a quick reminder) or guideline? Also, are discs all around something I'll find, or should I anticipate drums in the rear?

Old 11-20-2014, 09:22 PM
banjopicker66
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interchangeability for the front end (back side of the cab to the front bumper) is between '65 - '79. However, the last year the FE engine was available was '76 (the 352 is an FE engine), so if you want spare engine or transmission parts that are unique to the FE, '76 is the last year.
I concur with John, to buy a complete donor truck. You will waste a lot of time and frustration at the junk yard trying to find that one piece you forgot to get last time, and that truck is now scrapped.
For example, If you want to add A/C for example to the 352, you will find it much easier to obtain a complete set of pulleys and brackets from one FE. Trying to piece that set together is nearly impossible.
I did buy a '78 donor F-150 for the disc brakes and power steering, but replaced everything at the spindles, keeping the '66 I-beams and radius arms, and it worked just fine for me. I used the master cylinder and calipers for cores, which saved a good deal of money also.
I also sold '78 parts that wouldn't work on my '66, and finally scrapped what was left.

John

Old 11-21-2014, 04:33 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Matt, You will have to stay 65-66 for your sheet metal. They didn't add disc to the rear brakes for a long while so they will be front only. The front of the chassis is the same from 65 to 79. If your truck has the I-6 you can go all the way to 79 for a donor. If it has the V8 it's 76. This is for exact fit bolt on Ford engineered system parts.

I am guilty myself of having too many projects and they sit. I have a dis-assembled 66 that has been sitting for 10 years now. With 3 new grandsons I am doubting that I will ever get back to it. Buying another truck was bad planning on my part.

If I was starting over I thnk I would go with a modern power plant with OD but you may want different. You might want to think about getting the interior, body & paint out of the way before you start on the running gear. Just a thought.

John

Old 11-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Roger C
Senior User
Originally Posted by WebMattR
Hello,

I'm back again, with another question or two.

Firstly, has anyone looked at this kit from Master Power Brakes?* I've been looking for a 67+ truck with discs I can swap on, but haven't had any luck finding one. Given that most of them would cost me 1000+ and I was only thinking of putting discs on the front, the price feels comparable to me (unless there's more reasons to get a parts truck that I'm missing).

Second, I'm still striking out on hoods. I've called around a few local junk yards have them, but list their condition as 'rusted out' and still want $200+ for them. Is there any company still making these?

*The link is for the 1965, but my truck is actually a 1966. They've the same kit at the same price for my year.
I have a couple of hoods. PM me if you are interested. I'm in Steilacoom