6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Noob Fuel Additive Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 AM
barthel
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Noob Fuel Additive Question

Hey All,

Beofre you read further please know this is not a "Which is the best" question.

I used to have a V10 and ran Seafoam about every other tank to keep the injectors and top end clean. We bought an '06 F250 CC 6.0L with 76K mile on it. I'm doing the standard maintenance stuff now (fuel filters, oil filter, oil change with T6, trans filter, etc.). I have no real experience with diesels but have read enough to know that fuel additives seem to be pretty much a must. I think I've settled on the Stanadyne Performace formula but have 2 questions.

First, since I don't know the maintenance history of this truck, would it be a good idea to run a bottle of injector cleaner through it first? I don't how the truck will react but know that the first long trip I will be pulling my toy hauler. Is running injector cleaner while towing a bad idea?

Next, do I put in the additive at every fuel fill up, or is it an occasional thing?

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-13-2014, 12:26 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Additives

To me most of them are pure snake oil. But you mention 2 that I do believe in.
The only thing with them is once you do start useing additives you have too keep useing it with every tank full. They seem to get addicted to it.

Kinda like the industrial diesels useing starting fluid once you start you have to keep useing it until it gets to a point they won't start without it.

Just my own pet pieve tho.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:03 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by barthel
I think I've settled on the Stanadyne Performace formula but have 2 questions.

First, since I don't know the maintenance history of this truck, would it be a good idea to run a bottle of injector cleaner through it first? I don't how the truck will react but know that the first long trip I will be pulling my toy hauler. Is running injector cleaner while towing a bad idea?

Next, do I put in the additive at every fuel fill up, or is it an occasional thing?
Stayadyne and the stuff in the Motorcraft/Ford bottle are pretty much the same thing; and both are good fuel supplements. Personally I use Power Service...just because it's allot easier to find and a little less expensive; but all three accomplish the same thing...add lubricity to the fuel and/or anti-gel. At $275 an injector, I take care of mine the best I can; I'm a firm believer that ULSD is too dry.

Running additives while towing is just fine. The only way you'll hurt the engine while towing is running out of fuel or excessive EGT. And when I say excessive, I'm talking about in excess of 1300F for several minutes or more. I've seen my stock engine hit 1300F when I left the cruise control to it's own devices while climbing a hefty grade with a 10k pound 5th wheel in tow at 70mph. Short burst of 1300F every now and then won't kill it...just beware the longer your in that high of a heat range...the more things like turbo chargers and coolers are taking a beating.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:01 PM
05F250DSL
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
First welcome to the 6.0 side of things.
What do you mean injector cleaner? Like the stuff you use for a gas engine? Not sure I have ever heard of it for diesels.
Our trucks have two fuel filters hopefully you went oem with them the after market ones are not the same shape missing sealing surfaces and most do not have the water barrier on the lower filter either. You would have to have some serious crud on the fuel side to get that side of the injectors dirty.
I use stanadyne every tank year round. Once you use it and if you happen to not find anywhere when you fill up you can hear the difference.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:17 PM
barthel
Elder User
No. Stanadyne has a pure "Diesel Injector cleaner", it has no lubricity or anti-gel properties, just made to clean the injectors.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:34 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by barthel
No. Stanadyne has a pure "Diesel Injector cleaner", it has no lubricity or anti-gel properties, just made to clean the injectors.
Actually it depends on which bottle you pick up. Stanadyne offers five different diesel additives; depending on what your intention are. Since your wanting to "clean the fuel system", you'd want this one:

Performance Formula® Injector Cleaner « Stanadyne Additives

There is also a lubricity additive and a antigel. Like I said, I personally like Power Service because both the lubricity and antigel are available allot of places (farm & ranch, WM and most parts stores).

Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost | Power Service

Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost | Power Service

Just like Ford or Chevy...it's a personal choice. As long as it's designed for use in a diesel engine you should be alright. Just steer clear of those containing alcohol.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 PM
barthel
Elder User
10-4, thanks gents.