Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Coolant Reservoir Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:16 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Coolant Reservoir Leak

Well here is my latest finding on the X. I changed the oil and filters and changed the coolant filter. Noticed the coolant a little low so I topped it off with Delo ELC 50/50. Started it up to ck for leaks and then I noticed the bubbles coming from the crack in the coolant reservoir.

Yeah I know their notorious for cracking in that one spot and leaking so my question is how long can it be driven with it like this? I know the system is pressurized but with a leak the pressure will be lower and will that affect how the engine runs or will it affect anything else on the engine? I'm going to see if Clay (riffraff) carries them and if not I'll order one from Tousley Ford. Anybody know off the top of their head what they run? I took a video of it and posted it on youtube and the link is below.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Psi is hell on a cracked degas with 16 psi cap dorman p number 603-213 ford is2c3z8aoaa. Hollander 671-00260. Price range 100 to 70 bucks I believe

Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
tommyl
Senior User
$58 at oreilly's

Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
Thanks Clay, I just ordered a few things from you including the degas bottle. Now the wait begins for the yellow tape.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:52 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob have you gotten you box with the Yellow tape yet????

Old 12-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Rob have you gotten you box with the Yellow tape yet????
Yes I have but now I'm waiting on another one that should be here next week. Clay really needs to have a store here on this side of the Mississippi to cut down on our wait times...

Old 12-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Degaus leak, IC Tubes, Intake & Turbo Exhaust Paint and Pedestal Change

Well I finally was able to tear into the X this past weekend. At first I was only going to change the degaus bottle and paint the IC & Intake but when I got the intake out I noticed the pedestal leaking pretty good. I really didnt feel like removing the turbo but the leak needed to be fixed so I got the turbo out also. Cleaned the eng and bay all up before the turbo removal so I'll have to do another scrubbing back where the pedestal was.

I got all my parts that I first ordered from Clay but now I'm waiting on a second order to come in. I have to give a BIG THANKS out to Clay because on my first order I only ordered 2 clamps for the plenum instead of 4 so I called him up the next day before he shipped the package and asked him to put 2 more clamps in and to adjust my bill. Well I waited and waited for the bill to be adjusted and nothing. The box came in and there were 4 clamps in the box but only charged me for 2. That right there is why this guy is so awesome. Thank You Clay...

I got the insulation removed from the DS IC tube with paint stripper. Sanded the tube down and now its ready for paint. I hope these IC tubes fit in the oven because thats where there going to bake on the ceramic paint. Hope it dont smell up the house to bad. I'm putting the intake and the exhaust side of the turbo in the oven also. I have a feeling mama wont be to happy...oh well she'll get over it. here are some pics of what I've done so far.

Has anyone ever used Evapo-Rust remover? I bought 2 gallons and planed on soaking the exhaust in it before painting. Does that stuff really work? I hope so otherwise I just wasted $45.

Can I get a Mod to rename the title to what I have in this post?

Attached Images        
Old 12-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Rscottc
Senior User
Replaced my tank about 2 Weeks ago, went to my local NAPA, started telling the guy what I needed, he almost knew the part number off the top of his head. Must be a common occurrence.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
could i get a side shot of that topside creeper? i wanna build one.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:03 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,973 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6

Yeah I know their notorious for cracking in that one spot and leaking so my question is how long can it be driven with it like this? I know the system is pressurized but with a leak the pressure will be lower and will that affect how the engine runs or will it affect anything else on the engine?

I've been running one like that for almost three years now. I spread some "The Right Stuff" on there (the best stuff for everything) and haven't had to worry about it....EVER.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
I had to replace my coolant bottle as well when I replaced the water pump. Shortly before that I installed new RiffRaff boots on all the connections and painted the tubes as you are doing. The engine bay is much cleaner and nicer looking than it has ever been.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Skip1970
could i get a side shot of that topside creeper? i wanna build one.
I'll get a pic tomorrow.

I'm gonna call some exhaust places next week and see if they can fabricate a 4" intake tube out of stainless steel with mandrel bends. I hate that black OEM rubber intake. I was hoping someone would have produced one in the aftermarket world by now but I'm still waiting.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:31 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I'll get a pic tomorrow.

I'm gonna call some exhaust places next week and see if they can fabricate a 4" intake tube out of stainless steel with mandrel bends. I hate that black OEM rubber intake. I was hoping someone would have produced one in the aftermarket world by now but I'm still waiting.
Rob I know Richard / Deluxe06 had made a intake tube and had once talked about maybe making some for sale. I don't know if he ever did but you could check with him. If you do replace the intake tube maybe I can talk you out of the stock one since whenever I get around to getting a AIS I'll need a late99-03 intake tube.

Now if the wife catches you putting parts in the oven just tell her you are doing all this for her. Since the EX is what she drives. I have been caught putting parts in the oven and my wife was NOT pleased. Now as far as painting parts when I went to paint my turbo turbine housing I had sand blasted it and used some 2000* paint and it still burned off. But as I read the can it said something to the effect that on bare metal it is actually only good to 1200*. So I hope you have better luck than me. Now I use engine paint 600* on the compressor housing and it is has held up very well.

Now since you are going to have it tore down that far you might might to paint the valley. I myself cleaned the valley, sanded it, used some Dupont 5717S and painted it a gray so it would make it easier to see if I get a leak. It was alot of work but I am glad I did do it now.
Before:

After:

Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
That valley looks great!

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Rob I know Richard / Deluxe06 had made a intake tube and had once talked about maybe making some for sale. I don't know if he ever did but you could check with him. If you do replace the intake tube maybe I can talk you out of the stock one since whenever I get around to getting a AIS I'll need a late99-03 intake tube.

Now if the wife catches you putting parts in the oven just tell her you are doing all this for her. Since the EX is what she drives. I have been caught putting parts in the oven and my wife was NOT pleased. Now as far as painting parts when I went to paint my turbo turbine housing I had sand blasted it and used some 2000* paint and it still burned off. But as I read the can it said something to the effect that on bare metal it is actually only good to 1200*. So I hope you have better luck than me. Now I use engine paint 600* on the compressor housing and it is has held up very well.

Now since you are going to have it tore down that far you might might to paint the valley. I myself cleaned the valley, sanded it, used some Dupont 5717S and painted it a gray so it would make it easier to see if I get a leak. It was alot of work but I am glad I did do it now.
Before:

After:

Quick Reply: Coolant Reservoir Leak