1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP..Sumers over and winter Damage on chrome runners begins!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Barryama
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All, I have a major problem with winter and my chrome step rails. I have a 2014 F250 Lariat...beautiful truck and put about 6K into ot changing all sorts or stuff. Head and tail lighs, Fuel Wheels, Fender extenders, air bags, iluminated F250 side emblems, all sorts of stuff to make it some what unique. And I'm loving it but........

My problem is I live in Quebec and as with most on the east coast, we have winters that cause problems to chrome. At the end of last winter I noticed a film of crap on my step rails that was near impossible to remove without hours of serious scrubbing and this with using some pretty harsh chemicals but still it was a frikkin nightmare.

You can scratch this film of with your fingernails but that would take months! Does anybody else experience this or am I alone with this headache? If not, how or what do you use to get this thick film off and or, what do you use to treat, cover, whatever to prevent from having to del with this issue every spring?

I'm seriously considering just removing them for the winter to save the headache!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

Barry

Old 11-10-2014, 10:52 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happened to my side steps too Barry, I just scrubbed with my wash mit. It did ok but Id be open to a suggestion for better results too...

Old 11-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Barryama
Hi All, I have a major problem with winter and my chrome step rails. I have a 2014 F250 Lariat...beautiful truck and put about 6K into ot changing all sorts or stuff. Head and tail lighs, Fuel Wheels, Fender extenders, air bags, iluminated F250 side emblems, all sorts of stuff to make it some what unique. And I'm loving it but........

My problem is I live in Quebec and as with most on the east coast, we have winters that cause problems to chrome. At the end of last winter I noticed a film of crap on my step rails that was near impossible to remove without hours of serious scrubbing and this with using some pretty harsh chemicals but still it was a frikkin nightmare.

You can scratch this film of with your fingernails but that would take months! Does anybody else experience this or am I alone with this headache? If not, how or what do you use to get this thick film off and or, what do you use to treat, cover, whatever to prevent from having to del with this issue every spring?

I'm seriously considering just removing them for the winter to save the headache!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

Barry
Although, I can't atest to the outcome I have myself just decided I would go with the product named 'Fluid Film' (I have no affiliation with this product) It is touted as an alternative to conventional undercoating and is a seasonal product. I'll link you to their website and you can do your own research and make up your mind about this product

UNDERCOATMYCAR

I did just have one of my trucks done and the other one is there now, It costs approx.$150.00 around my parts to have the vehicle undercarriage washed off and coated but you can buy the product yourself and do your own application....I'll have a clearer understanding as to its effectiveness next spring. I hope this helps.

Amazon sells the product in rattle cans for $15.00 which may work better for you. Just go there and search 'Fliud Film'

Old 11-11-2014, 06:36 AM
Barryama
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Allen, much appreciate the lead. I'll look into anything at this point but this sounds like it might be an option. Not sure how easy the product will be to remove come spring however will research it now.

Have s super day!
Barry

Old 11-11-2014, 06:53 AM
hodge5
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks Allen, much appreciate the lead. I'll look into anything at this point but this sounds like it might be an option. Not sure how easy the product will be to remove come spring however will research it now.

Have s super day!
Barry
On smooth chrome, Fluid Film wouldn't be hard to remove come Spring. It is lanolin, and won't harm the chrome. Also, you can buy the spray cans on Ebay for much less than $15.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Have s super day!
Barry
No Problem....supposedly the stuff never dries and should wear off alot by spring and then I would think you could wash off anything you didn't want it to remain on......but again, I can't attest to that fact.